Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering Our Diesel Storage Tanks For on Road Use

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am putting a 50 Gallon diesel storage tank back into service for my 2013 Ram truck. It has been completely cleaned out and ready to go however I want to filter the fuel really, really well before pumping into the truck. Any recommendations on what the set up should be? It has the standard spin on filter set up now. I found down to 10 micron spin on filters. Should I double filter with that or some other set up?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
37 REPLIES 37

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So y’all that filter from slip tank to OE tank effectively don’t use the capacity of the OE tank?
Of it’s ok to fill the OE tank without filter but only sometimes?
Or you fill the slip and transfer to the OE while fueling up so you get both full to take advantage (and a long frickin time) of the extra fuel capacity?
I’m confused.
Mainly because of the millions and millions of light and heavy duty diesels running high pressure injection pumps and many with lift pumps as well. None of these I’m aware of are set up with pre-filtering fuel prior to it entering the primary fuel tank(s).

For anyone reading this thread and thinking they might lose a little sleep over not pre filtering their diesel after it’s filtered at the pump and then filtered another 1 or 2 times (or 3 if you’re one of the add more filters “after” the OE truck filters, or the add a 2 micron Cat filter before the water separator guys), you can rest easy here and know that unless you happen to have one of a few particular older diesels that are common rail with inadequate factory filtration.

Neither of which are the models of trucks in question here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
To get back on topic, unlike many here, I would absolutely recommend some sort of filtration to go from your storage tank to your OEM tank.

I have a aux tank dumping into my OEM tank. Twice I have had in-tank fuel pump replaced due to failure. While the dealer won't give a definitive cause they say it is possible that debris caused the issue.

I now have a diesel safe small inline fuel filter between my tanks. It is clear, and when I changed it after 5000 miles I could see debris.

A fuel filter is inexpensive insurance against a $1000 repair.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Good vacation spots don't necessarily mean it's an ideal place to live.

Maybe maybe not. Beautiful on a sunny day for sure. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good vacation spots don't necessarily mean it's an ideal place to live.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
San Juan Islands, WA State Ferry and Mt baker.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of nice places to see, here is Mount Baker from the south.

blt2ski
Ron,

View from top of Baker is pretty amazing too.
Come to think of it, Adams, Rainer, Olympus, Prussik Peak, and many others have good views too!
Lots of reasons to be in this part of the world.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two biggest reasons I live within 30 minutes of the San Juan Islands and Cascade Mountains in WA State.

SW tip of Lummi Island and end of road on Mt Baker pictured.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blt2ski
Grit,

My point above. There will always be something we don't like, or dislike about things, take the good with hopefully less or fewer bad things, call it a day
If the bad is worst, then move, divorce spouse, or ...

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^I do not disagree!
For everything there is that is actually totally awesome about Western WA and OR, the politics does a pretty good job of ruining it. Oh well. I ain’t gonna gonna change the world….
But my own backyard is pretty nice!

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Grit,
Hopefully you filled ALL your rigs today!

Lines were getting longer as day went on here in A Snohomish county!

Marty

Why? People don’t understand the carbon credit fee and think gas prices were going up $.46 today?
(Not that I agree with any of the Climate Considerations Act or whatever it was that just passed.)
Funny part is, a lot of it will be the state just effectively taxing themselves which of course trickles down to us.
Take the paving industry. The State will be taxing/selling credits to a large CO producer who is actually the only available technology and also specified by the same entities that are charging extra to get what they are asking for.
It’s inexplicable how messed up this state is.

There is a reason that large geographical parts of Wa. and Or. want to join Idaho. Our house isn't perfect for sure, but we look like rock stars compared to you guys.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit,
Hopefully you filled ALL your rigs today!

Lines were getting longer as day went on here in A Snohomish county!

Marty

Why? People don’t understand the carbon credit fee and think gas prices were going up $.46 today?
(Not that I agree with any of the Climate Considerations Act or whatever it was that just passed.)
Funny part is, a lot of it will be the state just effectively taxing themselves which of course trickles down to us.
Take the paving industry. The State will be taxing/selling credits to a large CO producer who is actually the only available technology and also specified by the same entities that are charging extra to get what they are asking for.
It’s inexplicable how messed up this state is.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
And people think oil companies are evil for the few cents a gallon they make.

For a product that they actually produce!

The gov't is taxing it and making much more money off if it and they don't produce any of it!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
And people think oil companies are evil for the few cents a gallon they make.