cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Daytime Running Lights.

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
All my vehicles have DRLs. On my 2006 RAM 3500 I had to ask the dealer to turn them on via the ECM. My Class C on a 2014 Ford 450 does not have DRLs turned on. Is that something I can do myself? Asking since Ford dealers do not want to touch RVs.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
19 REPLIES 19

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could rewire your vehicle connecting the driving light wire to a "HOT IN Run" power source under the hood.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kober wrote:
Final update:
Ford does indeed have a better idea. Better for Ford. In 2004 I took my 2004 Dodge Dually to the local Dodge dealership and asked them if they would turn on my DRLs. The Diesel mech came out to the parking lot, hooked his machine to the truck, found the appropriate menu item and turned on my DRLs. The whole thing took 5 minutes. He charged me nothing. (nice guy)
Ford has installed something they call a security module on their trucks after 2013/14 and require dealers and mechanics to pay for a license for the software allowing them to make changes to the ECM/BCM. They see codes without it but can't make any changes or clear codes without paying for a yearly license.
Just another way for Car manufacturers to siphon off money from your wallet long after you bought your vehicle from them.
$205.95 later, I now have DRLs. (BTW, I understand DRLs are standard in Canada?)

All the mfgs have proprietary software, have for quite some time. Any shop that charged you $200 to do that is one to cross off your list as being a fair shop to do business with.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Reach down and turn on the headlights when you want DRL. Beats worming under the dash to find a fuse.

Best answer yet, just make it a habit to turn on lights during startup.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Quoting Larry Cad:"Are those the lights that always blind me when coming toward me? Always wonder what kind of death wish the driver has, that he wants to blind me coming toward him such that I may accidentally drift over into his lane and hit him head on!

Just curious."

DRLs are headlights at 1/2 power that are automagically on whenever your engine is running, and you are not in Park. They are one of the best safety features and I won't own a vehicle without them. They keep those left turners from claiming they never saw you when they turn in front of you and you end up t-boning them.
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Final update:
Ford does indeed have a better idea. Better for Ford. In 2004 I took my 2004 Dodge Dually to the local Dodge dealership and asked them if they would turn on my DRLs. The Diesel mech came out to the parking lot, hooked his machine to the truck, found the appropriate menu item and turned on my DRLs. The whole thing took 5 minutes. He charged me nothing. (nice guy)
Ford has installed something they call a security module on their trucks after 2013/14 and require dealers and mechanics to pay for a license for the software allowing them to make changes to the ECM/BCM. They see codes without it but can't make any changes or clear codes without paying for a yearly license.
Just another way for Car manufacturers to siphon off money from your wallet long after you bought your vehicle from them.
$205.95 later, I now have DRLs. (BTW, I understand DRLs are standard in Canada?)
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kober wrote:
Quick update: My repair shop, one of the few which will actually work on RVs, has had my RV since last Thursday. Apparently it takes a laptop in addition to the Ford tool to simply enable the DRLs and their trained tech hasn't had them time to accomplish this. I find this somewhat disturbing considering in 2004 a Dodge tech turned on my DRLs on my RAM 3500 in the parking lot in about 5 minutes.

I would assume it requires Forscan or similar aftermarket software.
While I donโ€™t know the particulars about newer Ford aftermarket software, this is one of the few times Iโ€™d visit a dealer first rather than in indy shop.
And yes this will also take โ€œ5 minutesโ€ so if the shop hasnโ€™t had time to โ€œaccomplishโ€ it then they donโ€™t know the software or donโ€™t have it. Smells like a runaround.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Kober wrote:
Quick update: My repair shop, one of the few which will actually work on RVs, has had my RV since last Thursday. Apparently it takes a laptop in addition to the Ford tool to simply enable the DRLs and their trained tech hasn't had them time to accomplish this. I find this somewhat disturbing considering in 2004 a Dodge tech turned on my DRLs on my RAM 3500 in the parking lot in about 5 minutes.

Ford has a better idea!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2008 Road Star 1100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lolโ€ฆ.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Are those the lights that always blind me when coming toward me? Always wonder what kind of death wish the driver has, that he wants to blind me coming toward him such that I may accidentally drift over into his lane and hit him head on!

Just curious.

Huh?
You may want to check your blood sugar or somethingโ€ฆcause youโ€™re not making sense.

Hmmm, sorry to hear that. Maybe next time will be easier.

OP...... Not sure what it is that you are sorry to hear.......

DRL's are low intensity lights, and not nearly powerful enough to blind anyone. Either you have a very high sensitivity to light, or the lights that bother you are actually headlights, not DRL's. Or maybe you are developing cataracts.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Are those the lights that always blind me when coming toward me? Always wonder what kind of death wish the driver has, that he wants to blind me coming toward him such that I may accidentally drift over into his lane and hit him head on!

Just curious.

Huh?
You may want to check your blood sugar or somethingโ€ฆcause youโ€™re not making sense.

Hmmm, sorry to hear that. Maybe next time will be easier.

Our Travel Blog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
larry cad wrote:

Just curious.

Huh?

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:

Just curious.

Those driving lights are not the culprit here it is those newer cars and trucks with the latest headlights. I have a larger problem with those that think " I can see out it isn't that dark yet" well you may see and will see my rig but I might not see you if I pass and it looks clear but has someone not putting their lights on or their DRLs.
WE winter in Fl and here it seems worse.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

Just curious.

Our Travel Blog