cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Fleetwood Expedition

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good evening! My nephew is looking at a 2005 Fleetwood expedition. It has a C9 cat engine with only 6000 miles on it get set only has 200hr it looks very well kept. I've can possibly pick this up for about $50k hes asking me what should we be looking out for? He knows it's been sitting and what comes with that. What are the pros and cons of this unit? I appreciate all your feedback.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
10 REPLIES 10

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
That RV came with the C7 300hp, or maybe 330, not the C9 just verify. Cat engines were fine they did not want to jump through the EPA hoops and stopped that business in 2007. Had a 2007 Discovery for 6 years with the C7, never an issue.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
David0725...So what did he decide to do?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

map40
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
map40 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Personally I would avoid RV with a Cat engine. Cat got into the RV business back around 2005 and failed terrible, then got out as quick as they got in. The engines are bad, but service is. This is why you will see so many RVs for sale at low prices, with Cat engines

Sorry, but you must be confused. I have had predecesors of the C7s (3126) from 95, 2000 and now a 2005. CAT has been in the business forever. The C9 and the C7 are both great engines, as a metter of fact, they are considered the best engines.
The only issue on the C7 is the HUEI pump. It is very sensitive to oil changes and bad fuel.
My only concern would be that it does not have enough miles. It sat all its life. That is normally a bad thing because everything dries up and you get leaks and blo up hoses.

I just realized I made a mistake describing the Cat engines. I agree that Cat makes a great engine. My comment had to do with RV service. Cat really doesn't like to work on RVs, even with a Cat engine.

That i agree with, but it does not matter what engine you have. Is very difficult to find a shop that is willing to work in an RV, but either aCAT C7 or a Cummings ISB can be serviced at any decent diesel shop.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
fishingbob61 wrote:
My 05 bounder has a cat engine with over 100k miles and no problems, no def or egr, cat is a very good eng, they stoped putting them in rvs because of the emmision rules

Agree...
2014 American Eagle

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Personally I would avoid RV with a Cat engine. Cat got into the RV business back around 2005 and failed terrible, then got out as quick as they got in. The engines are bad, but service is. This is why you will see so many RVs for sale at low prices, with Cat engines

Sorry, but you must be confused. I have had predecesors of the C7s (3126) from 95, 2000 and now a 2005. CAT has been in the business forever. The C9 and the C7 are both great engines, as a metter of fact, they are considered the best engines.
The only issue on the C7 is the HUEI pump. It is very sensitive to oil changes and bad fuel.
My only concern would be that it does not have enough miles. It sat all its life. That is normally a bad thing because everything dries up and you get leaks and blo up hoses.

I just realized I made a mistake describing the Cat engines. I agree that Cat makes a great engine. My comment had to do with RV service. Cat really doesn't like to work on RVs, even with a Cat engine.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

map40
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:

Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
It wasn't Cat engine failures that took Cat engines off the road. It was the EPA challenges that Cat didn't want to face.
Cat still makes great engines for off road equipment.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good for bull dozers etc. No business in a RV. Then try to find someone to work on one or try $32,000 to replace one that blows up going down the interstate at 70mph. There is a reason you don't find them in RVs anymore.

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 bounder has a cat engine with over 100k miles and no problems, no def or egr, cat is a very good eng, they stoped putting them in rvs because of the emmision rules
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would avoid RV with a Cat engine. Cat got into the RV business back around 2005 and failed terrible, then got out as quick as they got in. The engines aren't bad, but service is. This is why you will see so many RVs for sale at low prices, with Cat engines
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog