cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Ply 14 or 16?

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 32 foot Class A that has a gross weight of 18,000 lbs I need to replace the tires due to age, it has 14 ply tires on it now...I am thinking about going to a 16 ply tire with the new tires.

Has anyone done this, & if so what were your reason for doing this, also did it change the ride to a harder ride?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
12 REPLIES 12

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You will never have a problem replacing tires with the OEM size.
2014 American Eagle

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the input, it was a great help as to what tire I will buy...travel safe...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
What are the concerns to be resolved by going up in load range? Are the existing tires run at sidewall max pressure?

The OP has not given any more info. If the current tires are running at Max pressure, would going to a higher load range reduce needed pressure? (know I could look at inflation chart)

I know from experience putting HD tires on just 1 axle degraded the drive comfort, even after deflated to the same pressure of the other tires. Now I changed from tires rated for about 7,400 to a pair rated at 9,000 for 1 trip.

I still can't stand under why, when tires last until age out, you would want to change to higher rated/price tire

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the concerns to be resolved by going up in load range? Are the existing tires run at sidewall max pressure?

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 14 to 16 on my steer tires when i changed from the 8r19.5 to the metric 245/70/19.5. But it was mostly because the tire model i wanted happened to be 16 ply and a higher weight rating.

I think the bigger question is if a 16 ply tire is stronger than a 14 ply tire at equal tire pressure, and that specific pressure being well below both of their pressure limits. This sort of discussion can go on forever.

I digress. Purchase whatever tire has the correct payload. Make sure to weigh your rig if you never have. Going by GVW is good when selecting a tire, but odds are you wont need the max tire pressure.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you have to run the max sidewall psi for your weight (you have weighed your rig) there’s no reason to go with a tire that has a higher sidewall psi… only difference in the “plies”.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
haste maker wrote:
I have a 32 foot Class A that has a gross weight of 18,000 lbs I need to replace the tires due to age, it has 14 ply tires on it now...I am thinking about going to a 16 ply tire with the new tires.

Has anyone done this, & if so what were your reason for doing this, also did it change the ride to a harder ride?

For practical purposes, the change from a 14 PR to a 16 PR AT THE SAME INFLATION PRESSURE doesn't change things enough to sense anything different - like ride quality. What would be different is if you change the make/model.

What the increased PR does is allow you to increase the inflation pressure to be able to get a higher load carrying capacity.

You could inflate the lower PR tire to a higher pressure, too, but the structure of the tire isn't changing, so the tire gets hardly any increase in load carrying capacity.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
haste maker wrote:

Can of worms, . . . . soon to open.

IMO, stick with the same payload rating. Every major tire manufacturer has their own proprietary blend of rubber compounds (tread and sidewall compounds can be different), tread patterns, and carcass construction which THEY feel is best for your application. That may differ from your opinion.

https://www.readingtruck.com/understanding-truck-tires-load-ratings-and-sizes/

Unless you have specific reasons for changing tire manufacturers, IMO you should stick with the same one. Remember, you are spending a lot of money, and, if you son't like your new tires, you are stuck with them for a while. Tire manufacturers also change tire compounds, construction, load ratings often so even if your new tires are the same as the ones they replaced, they may not actually be "the same."

Chum lee

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had a problem with the 14 ply tires?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Are tires sold by 'ply' anymore?

No, and even the letter grades are outdated.

Best to go by the payload rating.

2 true statements, and I have a silly question;
You state the tires you are running now are aged out. Are you expecting to add a lot of weight or miles in the near future? If not, your next set will age out too. So spending extra bucks for the heavier tire means not only does your coach take the stress spinning/stopping and bouncing the heavier tires, you throw away more money when they age out.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:

No, and even the letter grades are outdated.

Best to go by the payload rating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman