Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpconversion goose neck conversion

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any experience with https://www.bpconversions.com/

they are the same price as a hensly or pro pride and i already have a gooseneck ball in the bed. this dune sport is 12'6" tall so it catch's a fair amount of wind and can still move my drw side to side. it's not horrible but enough that my wife doesn't want to take over for a bit as she would with the wolf pack 295 fiver.
47 REPLIES 47

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at a cat scale on the way to the sand dunes. Fully loaded with sand rail back in. 1250 lbs tongue weight according to the weigh safe hitch. They were real busy so I did not separate the truck and camper to re way. Had a decent load of fire wood I. The back of the truck along with a smoker under the topped.

Still squirrly in side wind but far far better then the first trip with the rail pulled in.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
dsrace wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Any chance you took it to the cat scales since it's spring?
It's less than $20 to get real data rather than more guesses and salesman who have no idea selling you something that may or may not fix the problem.

so i have not taken it to the cat scales. i do intend too but with all the work i had to do to the toyhauler to get it prepped for a trip, i ran out of time. i did put the weigh safe hitch in to check tongue weight. dune sport said they weighed the unit at the factory. i know that doesn't mean much until verified but the stated 7200 lbs empty with 1200 lb tw. so , according to weigh safes hitch, i have 1250 lbs tw empty. when i say that, i have bedding on the bed, prob 100 lbs of gear under the bed, 50 lb steel tool box in place of the lead acid batteries, fully stocked bathroom, with kitchenware and pans but no food, clothes, tool boxs or sand rail. 1300 lbs tw in that stage, so they were probably correct. pulling the sand rail in that drops to 750 lbs tw ! backing the sand rail in that stays at 1300 lbs, with rail pushed to the ramp gate as in the tires touching the ramp gate. the ramp gate down drops 100 lbs of tw vs in the closed position. thought that was interesting. i have 12" of room to push the rail forward and back with it backed in. so moving it forward to almost touching the fridge adds 200 lbs tw! that was surprising imo as i never would've guess that pivot point was that close. with the camper fully loaded for sand dunes trip, rail 4" off the gate, 100 lb tool box loaded against the gate, two folding chairs against the gate, fresh, black and grey tanks empty....... 1250 lbs tw. i am using an anderson wdh for the sway reduction more then the wdh part. with it set as it was before the front end drops .5" lower then unloaded height, back end ( measuring from wheel wells to the ground) sits 1" higher then the front with only 15 psi in my rear air bags, a tool box, a decent load of fire wood and a green mountain smoker in the back of the truck. heading out now for a dune trip so we will see how it pulls this time with 1250 lbs tw. i will make an adjustment to the hitch along the way.

they stated 7200 lbs empty, i know the sand rail weighs 1960 lbs wet, i know the roll around tool box i take weighs 100 lbs, i know the steel storage box/tool box i mounted in place of the lead acid batts on the tongue weighs 50 lbs empty, 7 nuts bolts small parts organizers under the bed that easily weigh another 100 lbs..... all loaded up, empty water tanks, i wouldn't be surprised if it weighs 10,200 lbs loaded.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
also, i called and spoke with a rep from hensley on thrusday. man was in his early 60's , no didn't aske he actually told me. he has been there many years and has a lot of detailed info to offer for the asking. out of the conversation i found it interesting that they claim a money back guarantee that even with a tiny amount of negative tongue weight, their hitch will prevent sway. i don't doubt his conviction not the info but would be skeptical until i tried this for myself. even with their current sale they are still $3k though. pro pride is $3800 right now but did not speak with them. i will make another run with the trailer as balanced as possible but ( in this particular case ) sure seems to be a lot more effort required for a bumper hitch vs a fiver/gn.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
It's less than $20 to get real data rather than more guesses and salesman who have no idea selling you something that may or may not fix the problem.

i simply saw that and inquired about it for the info. i just posted it as to show there is another building and selling. i did buy a weigh safe hitch but have not pulled the trailer out as the ground is very soft still and the snow is still melting. most of it is gone but it will be a little while yet. it was 60* yesterday and that was sooooo nice. it snowed last week here but not much. there is not white rock or concrete back to the building its stored in. im hoping by next week i can get it out and weigh it. i have been repairing and prepping a second sand rail i have. this one is a couple hundred lbs heavier so that will be the best to use to set it up correctly. i have not downloaded the cat app yet but will and the there is a cat scale 20 miles from me.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
saw that another company is making the gn conversion. i emailed and same specs as bpconverion on weight rating. this companies hitch is $5500 and almost 600 lbs though.

https://youtu.be/QrfysAbUjYo

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
It’s not pin weight.

here are two screen shots of their email response. once they said the 10k lb rating on their site is pin weight i sent a second asking if the hitch is rated for 15k lb trailer as mine is 10,500 lbs loaded. the response was interesting. put a smile on my face too. 🙂

"Here's our theory, as long as your trailer brakes are maintained and adjusted properly the GVW should remain on the trailer. Having the trailer brakes set a little hard is what we would recommend. "

personally, i am going to check this one off the list at this point.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
It’s not pin weight.

This thread is what, ten days old? I just figured out earlier this morning that you're talking about a bumper pull and not a 5th wheel. I should have clicked the link earlier, but the pin weight / tongue weight talk was really throwing me off.

I can see how that would. Its a little of both....sort of :B

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
It’s not pin weight.

There response said 10k lb pin weight rating. No mention of a trailer weight rating. Sent another email asking.

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
It’s not pin weight.

This thread is what, ten days old? I just figured out earlier this morning that you're talking about a bumper pull and not a 5th wheel. I should have clicked the link earlier, but the pin weight / tongue weight talk was really throwing me off.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It’s not pin weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2-7k lb axles honestly don't know the gvwr but at a min 14k. Between 10k lbs and 10,500 lbs loaded. That does pose an issue.

Just sent them an email asking if that is a 10k lb pin weight rating or a 10k lb gtw rating.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Was thinking, if you get the GN conversion, it would also be fairly easy to add more ballast to the tongue area if need be. (Another project of course and yet more complicated).
I looked up the bp product again. Says rated to 10klbs. Assuming that is a 10k max weight trailer. Idk how close to that you are when fully loaded. But worth mentioning.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Idk if this helps, hope it does from perspective alone. It’s like a homework or exam question from college to me! Lol.

you are absolutely correct :B

$3800 is a fair chunk of change to throw in the fire if it doesn't correct the issue. i know i can shift 300 lbs to the nose and not sure exactly how much of that will be true tw. i know that the gn hitch will add 350 lbs but when the owner of bp stated it will relieve up to 30% due to the length, that struck me as counter productive. i will know more once i am able to get it to the scales and the weigh safe hitch shows up. might be worth it for better sway control in the wind and winch the rail in backwards.

nothing to do with the GN hitch but......when we sold the 295 wolf pack fifthwheel, it was because i was tired of hauling that in all conditions. 7 to 10 hrs of travel and it wears on me, as i get older. i wanted something smaller and easier to tow, that my wife could take over driving as well. we sold it and bought a 2021 genesis supreme overnighter fk toyhauler. it is a new spin on an old design.
they are 2 person units imo and fantasic for one person with only 12' of camper on the front.

1.5 years into owning it, our children decided they wanted to start making the dune trips with us. they can afford to purchase a camper but have no place to store/ maintain one. one of us was more then happy to sell the overnighter for a larger toyhauler! :B i really liked the overnighter. it towed so well behind my drw, even in 35 mph gusting wind. it is a unit that i can literally throw my bag in though the door and jump in the truck and go. only 32' long oal so still easy to navigate fuel stations. it was a bit of an adjustment dropping down from a 34' fifthwheel or was for one of us 😉 in hind sight i should've put $6k into the fiver and kept it. it still looked great as it was kept inside. if i could afford two, i would buy another overnighter! probably the rk model this time though. the fk model we owned weighed in at 5400 lbs empty with 1500 lbs tw! i weighed that one to know for sure and for once, the factory was correct. had a custom cover made at a boat shop for the sand rail too. if i can get the new one to tow 2/3 rd's as nice as the overnighter, i will be happy.