cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Foggy windows help please

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this Fleetwood expedition that I'm look at most the windows are fogging upI cant remember if there was a fix for that or not? If so what is the fix and who can I contact for that information? Other then these windows in about to make a offer. I appreciate any and all feed back.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
36 REPLIES 36

Bruce_Brown
Another much bigger project I did awhile back was rebuilding a TT. This had suffered a large, long term leak and was basically junk. I knew it when I bought it and paid accordingly.
The point of this is I had never done this either, but how hard could it be? This was one of the most fun projects I've ever done.

I won't go into all of it, just some highlights...

It looked good on the outside...

It was rotten...

So I fixed it...

After it was done it made a cross country trip then we used it as a rental for a few years before selling it. It's still in use today as a seasonal camper.

Don't be afraid, Youtube is your friend and normally people are happy to help - just ask.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I certainly wouldn't do it that way. Remember, somebody installed it once so it can be done again.

What you're describing sounds exactly like ours was, the one removed shown above. It wasn't any harder to do than the others. The only thing on that one was the weight. It wasn't terrible, you just needed an extra set of hands.

I ended up doing one of the small windows in one slide end - believe it or not that one was the hardest to disassemble.
I watched the video of the DIY repair... Sorry, but mine are much more complicated. The passenger side top pane is above the large slider. The driver side is above the front A-pillar window (also fogged) AND above the driver's door. Many of the repaired windows, even those done by pros rather than DIYers, end up fogging again a year or so down the road. I also don't want to mess with window frames that don't currently leak by removing the entire frame and re-installing/re-sealing.

I'm still trying to determine what the downside of my plan would be?

Can you get a picture of yours?

Yours sounds a little different, however most Class A are something like this;

That one is ours, shown out in an earlier post, now back in. Sure there was more to it than the others but it still wasn't hard, not by a long stretch.

As to the downside of your plan, my thoughts are...

Tempered glass doesn't break easy
Tempered glass doesn't break clean
The panes fit within a frame. Even if you could get it to break clean and easy, you would still need to get within the frame to install the new one.
You also risk breaking both windows if you happen to hit the inside one a little harder than you planned.

Whenever I'm tackling a job like this, something I've never done before, I remind myself someone else did it before me. They're not necessarily smarter than I am, they just have more experience - and they only way I'll ever gain any experience is to do it myself.

So far that's worked out fairly well.

Well said Mr. Moderator!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bruce_Brown
4x4van wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I certainly wouldn't do it that way. Remember, somebody installed it once so it can be done again.

What you're describing sounds exactly like ours was, the one removed shown above. It wasn't any harder to do than the others. The only thing on that one was the weight. It wasn't terrible, you just needed an extra set of hands.

I ended up doing one of the small windows in one slide end - believe it or not that one was the hardest to disassemble.
I watched the video of the DIY repair... Sorry, but mine are much more complicated. The passenger side top pane is above the large slider. The driver side is above the front A-pillar window (also fogged) AND above the driver's door. Many of the repaired windows, even those done by pros rather than DIYers, end up fogging again a year or so down the road. I also don't want to mess with window frames that don't currently leak by removing the entire frame and re-installing/re-sealing.

Can you get a picture of yours?

Yours sounds a little different, however most Class A are something like this;

That one is ours, shown out in an earlier post, now back in. Sure there was more to it than the others but it still wasn't hard, not by a long stretch.

As to the downside of your plan, my thoughts are...

Tempered glass doesn't break easy
Tempered glass doesn't break clean
The panes fit within a frame. Even if you could get it to break clean and easy, you would still need to get within the frame to install the new one.
You also risk breaking both windows if you happen to hit the inside one a little harder than you planned.

Whenever I'm tackling a job like this, something I've never done before, I remind myself someone else did it before me. They're not necessarily smarter than I am, they just have more experience - and they only way I'll ever gain any experience is to do it myself.

So far that's worked out fairly well.
Bruce & Jill Brown

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
You can't cut tempered glass, as mentioned they have to cut it and then send it out. A real pain. LOL
However they can cut laminated glass, that's what your windshield is and what all auto glass used to be.
I plan to stay with my double-pane glass,

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes a glass shop can measure cut a piece of glass and have it tempered. They can even round or bevel the edge if you want. But it really sounds like you're doing it the hard way.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bruce_Brown
larry cad wrote:
Nice job Mr. Brown! You can be proud of your work. I also believe that dual pane windows do a lot to keep the RV warm in cold weather and cold in hot weather.

Thanks Larry.

ro_sie wrote:
Great job! I cant believe that window people cant find a better way to seal those windows! Larry Cad, You are correct. double panes do make them warmer. Hanginin, babies can take a lot of time especially if you are being the main daytime care giver. I did my 4 and then took care of grans so moms could work. Love my grands! Still have one with me full time.

The windows in the RV lasted about as long as the ones in our house, and those are Andersons, so they're not a second tier window.

And absolutely grandkids are awesome! We'll be babysitting this Saturday.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Bruce_Brown

Bruce & Jill Brown

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I have the issue with the top panes above the driver and passenger windows, and now the driver side front panel just behind the a-pillar. Because they are each in a combination frame that also holds the slider windows below, I hesitate to attempt a removal/repair. However, here's my plan: I will break out the inside panel; clean and dry well. Then have a glass shop cut replacements to fit (can a glass shop cut/supply tempered glass? If not, perhaps plexiglass instead), and then simply seal them in place with windshield urethane. Am I out of line with this thinking?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
Great job! I cant believe that window people cant find a better way to seal those windows! Larry Cad, You are correct. double panes do make them warmer. Hanginin, babies can take a lot of time especially if you are being the main daytime care giver. I did my 4 and then took care of grans so moms could work. Love my grands! Still have one with me full time.

:B

Our Travel Blog

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job Mr. Brown! You can be proud of your work. I also believe that dual pane windows do a lot to keep the RV warm in cold weather and cold in hot weather.

Our Travel Blog

Bruce_Brown
So as noted earlier, I decided to tackle this myself and see how it went. I'm happy to report this has gone from a not too fun job to a not too bad job. As with most things, you learn a few things that make the job a little easier as you go along. That has definitely been the case here.

This is what I started with. That window wasn't dirty, that was all between the panes...

This was working on it - I had to take over our bar for a few days... :B

And the finished product, reinstalled...

That went well enough it was time to do the others. These (2) are both done, the back one has been reinstalled, the front one I'm waiting for a little help getting back in, that one is heavy. The one remaining still needs to be done. That's the emergency escape window so the framework is a little different. Same deal, with a little help removing it I think I can leave the original outer frame in the MH saving a little time overall...

If anyone decides to take this job on and would like some moral support please feel free to ask - it's not really that bad of a job.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
The best thing to do is replace the dual pane windows that will always leak given enough time with single pane. There are single pane windows that are thicker then normal and have a similar R factor of dual pane. Obviously with single pane you never have to worry about them leaking. The price is about the same as having your dual panes resealed. Funny how we think dual panes in an RV are a big deal........yet we have this huge front widow(windshiel) that is about the size of all the other windows combined and that windshield is NOT dual pane. Save the money and hassle and replace with thicker single pane.

That sums up my feelings exactly. a single pane window with a thick drape/curtain would be as good.
bumpy