cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EV alternative for light/medium duty trucks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
So much wheel spinning on EVs, what if they are not the right path forward? The biggest problem with renewable power and EVs is storage, the second is storage, and the third is storage. Another path is carbon capture from the atmosphere (using amine scrubbing like nuclear subs and carbon dioxide from natural gas) then splitting hydrogen from water, followed by building whatever hydrocarbon you need.

The US Navy is hard at work on this project, since it avoids storage of large amounts of jet fuel, and the difficult job of resupply of jet fuel at sea to the carriers. After all fire kills ships. The Fords were built with a very large excess electric generation capacity for this reason and many others.

Porsche now has a pilot project running in South America, Porsche syn fuel

This will work wherever you have cheap electricity and water. The products are put right into refinery feeds. No need to rebuild the approximately 1.5 Billion cars in the world. Solves storage, no worry about hydrogen embrittlement, recycles carbon dioxide, we use the existing liquid fuel distribution system. Transparent to the car/truck owner.
452 REPLIES 452

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Time for us frogs to jump out of the warming water. The latest report suggests there are only 10 years left to mitigate (not avoid) global climate change.

And when that 10 years expires there will be another 10 year panic clock. This method is nothing new. Itโ€™s been going on since at least the early 70โ€™s.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Time for us frogs to jump out of the warming water. The latest report suggests there are only 10 years left to mitigate (not avoid) global climate change.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Eddie,

They took thousands of years to accomplish what we have done in 200 years.

more like 10's or 100's of thousands of years.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Eddie,

They took thousands of years to accomplish what we have done in 200 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
Tvov wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Bottom line we need to get off fossil fuels as fast as we can.

Why?
:W I know it's a joke but apparently somewhere between 7% and 14% of US adults are still climate change deniers. Scary isn't it?
Weather forcasts are not accurate more than about a week out....Yet we are supposed to believe forcasts decades out?
Bottom line is climate change is real no point in denying it. Real truth is it has been going on since the earth was formed and we are not going to change it. Explain the ice age or whale bones and sea shell fossils in the middle of the dessert. Fossil fuels did not do that.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

map40
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Map40 said..."I still have my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan that can haul as much as a truck but is much more efficient. And as I have a lifetime warranty bumper to bumper I will never get ride of it."

Tell us that minivan belongs to your spouse. Most men would not drive one, and certainly not want to be seen loading it up at HD, or Lowes. Actually SUVs became the popular soccer mom rig, as they wanted to regain self respect. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

See, I care for practical application and money in my pocket. If I have to drive my minivan in front of a bunch of contractors I could not care less what they think. I just know I can carry anything I need and I can drop it at the dealer and they will fix it for free...
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
propchef wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And itโ€™s always fun to hear from the 1/2 tons are grocery getters crowd.
Throw a slip tank and 20 sacks of grout behind the kiddy seats and hook a 5 ton trailer to your minivan or crossover and call me when itโ€™s broken and youโ€™re in the ditch. I got a little half ton grocery getter that will not only pull you out but haul and tow what you were trying to, with little effort and no fanfare!

Lol

You have a 1/2 ton that will haul 12k lbs and will still pull me out of the ditch?? Cool.

Of course!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Throw a slip tank and 20 sacks of grout behind the kiddy seats and hook a 5 ton trailer to your minivan or crossover and call me when itโ€™s broken and youโ€™re in the ditch. I got a little half ton grocery getter that will not only pull you out but haul and tow what you were trying to, with little effort and no fanfare!

Lol

You have a 1/2 ton that will haul 12k lbs and will still pull me out of the ditch?? Cool.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oooooh, snap!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Map40 said..."I still have my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan that can haul as much as a truck but is much more efficient. And as I have a lifetime warranty bumper to bumper I will never get ride of it."

Tell us that minivan belongs to your spouse. Most men would not drive one, and certainly not want to be seen loading it up at HD, or Lowes. Actually SUVs became the popular soccer mom rig, as they wanted to regain self respect. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

LOL. Back in early 80s, in the same bodyshop, brother was repairing a wrecked late model half ton GM pickup. Quitting time, we would turn to a early 70s GM station wagon, building for demolition derby. Now by eye we could tell nothing about the strength of steel used, but brakes frame and all suspension parts on SW, looked to be as least as heavy duty as the PU.

OT. Years back, the contractor called "Put trucks on hold, give us time to dry the site" Now I had faith we would work, know it is hard to round up drivers once they scatter, "I'll buy breakfast." 5 of 7 had regular cab PU, 1 had MC, the other had a mini van. I suggested we all ride together. "No! it's a mini van, I can't haul this many of you big MFs!" We took 3 PUs (Later learned he was living in van thru week, going home on weekend)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Danger_Don
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:

I still have my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan that can haul as much as a truck but is much more efficient.

Go pick up a cube of brick or block, or 40 sheets of 5/8 drywall, and haul it home in that Chrysler minivan, then report back on the efficiency.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I simply googled silverado and took the first price that popped up. The point I was trying to make is that 28,000 is now an imposibley low price for a new Silverado.
That is only because the market is messed up at the moment. With a base MSRP of 36K if/when the market returns to normal, a good deal could be 28K

Remember the days of getting invoice or below pricing? When I bought my 2020. I did not pay anywhere close to MSRP

Meh, you tend to see a lot of people who โ€œclaimโ€ trucks are sooo much more than they โ€œused to beโ€ฆโ€
And of course the Covid charges had/have raised prices unnaturally. But thatโ€™s quickly going away. If you look at all the big discounts again on many models.
And itโ€™s usually people who either donโ€™t understand the differences between the vehicles of the โ€œgood old daysโ€ and modern vehicles and those who just canโ€™t afford a big ole new truck who are looking for something to blame for that.
Itโ€™s funny, no one would question the differences between a Big Mac meal and a ribeye from Ruthโ€™s Chris, whether they can afford the steak or not, the recognition that while both are dinner, one is far more capable and luxurious than the other. But when it comes to vehicles, many seem to not be able to comprehend that the most basic work truck half ton offered today has twice the power, twice the longevity and 1000% MORE features than a comparable truck from the โ€œgood ole days.โ€ Actually given the differences and accounting for average inflation, not a lot of difference trying to stay apples to apples.
If youโ€™d like a half ton 1 wheeler peeler with 157hp, some good vapor lock on the Ike in Numy and a transmission that needs to be rebuilt every 60m miles with some sweet drum brakes, an AM radio and roll your own windows Iโ€™m sure the mfgs could make one for less moneyโ€ฆ..but in the meantime youโ€™re stuck with 300hp and a 10 speed trans with $thousands in safety and convenience features for $30kโ€ฆ.