cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Gas Storage

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never found a good way to carry gas for my generator. I would welcome some suggestions. I rarely use a lot of gas, so a few gallons can last for weeks even in moderately high temps when I run the A/C and generator for an hour or so a day.

Currently I have a 2 gallon plastic container which just fits between the rungs of my ladder. This is for emergency only. I have only been able to find one container that fits the space and this one has a poor seal and spout. The spout is carried inside the container and every time I use it I get gas on my hands and dripping down the sides of the can. My go to can is 1 gallon that I store in a compartment. If it ever leaks the gas will flow under the shower pan and come out into the camper. I also need to leave the can outside for quite a while after I use it otherwise the fumes from gas in the spout or on the can will enter the RV.
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:

Thanks, I think this suggestion on a vented cap is the way to go. Just a pinhole should be enough to handle temperature and pressure changes.

It’s not as big of a deal as you think, most of the time and under normal conditions.
A bit of over thinking still happening here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
We've been securing our 2 gal container with velcro straps on our rear ladder for years. As you mentioned previously, with the OEM spout stored inside the container it will eventually leak gas everywhere. We travel with the spout on the outside and secure the end with a pin-hole, vented cap. It's never leaked, expanded or collapsed even in temps as high as 105 deg or temps as low as 0f. Also, we never fill above the "fill" line on the side of the container.

Thanks, I think this suggestion on a vented cap is the way to go. Just a pinhole should be enough to handle temperature and pressure changes.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Also for your small qtys non ethanol is not expensive ...

Not where I live !

E10 is NOT as bad as people make out ! Just don't store it more than 2-4 weeks and make sure to run the carburetor dry after every use.

That along makes it not great for small engines where 5 gals could last all summer
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Not where I live !

E10 is NOT as bad as people make out ! Just don't store it more than 2-4 weeks and make sure to run the carburetor dry after every use.

Not sure why I find this whole response sort of funny….
First, my suggestion for non e was because of someone’s sensitive issue with residual gasoline smell on their hands…
Second, if one understands the benefits and drawbacks of both types of fuel, E10 is not bad at all. Never said it was, however it is bad for the reasons you mention.
Although for someone saying it’s “not that bad” you’re overly paranoid of its effects.

Like how ridiculous is it to run the carb dry in every engine after every use? About as ridiculous as thinking the gas could go “bad” potentially after 2 weeks.

And regarding “expense”, how much is it there in SE MI? Regular gas is about $1 cheaper than here, so I gotta think non ethanol premium is hovering around $4/ gal and non e regular is around $3.50?
With your paranoia about the gas that is “not that bad” I’d think a couple dollars here or there would be a small price to pay to not have to effectively winterize every engine every time you use it, if in fact you do actually do that.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Not where I live !

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
. . . I believe what I need is a better gas tank and mount it on the ladder . . .
We've been securing our 2 gal container with velcro straps on our rear ladder for years. As you mentioned previously, with the OEM spout stored inside the container it will eventually leak gas everywhere. We travel with the spout on the outside and secure the end with a pin-hole, vented cap. It's never leaked, expanded or collapsed even in temps as high as 105 deg or temps as low as 0f. Also, we never fill above the "fill" line on the side of the container.

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
RotopaxRotopax makes several size (1 - 4 gallons) gas cans designed for off roading. They definitely won't spill. I carry one on the back of my SXS and it hasn't spilled a drop.
They do store the spout inside the can, so you still have to deal with that. You would need to buy a Rotopax can, Rotopax mount, and some kind of pipe mount to attach the Rotopax mount to your ladder.
Their RollpaX product is a made specifically to attach to roll bars and such. It would be the cleanest solution, but they're very expensive.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Papa_Wheelie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty happy after ~ 3-4 years with the following:

"MaxHaul 70089 Steel Trailer Step" clamped to the left rear jack. Strap a 1 gallon fuel can down w/ 2" wide lashing strap.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I googled Mountain Addiction gas can just to see. Haven’t bought one, ever, but have had 2 snomachines that came with them. They are durable. And if you have a flat spot you can mount the rails to or any spot you could mount the carrier to it would work with no straps etc.
Another option is find an old plastic gas can with the hideaway spot and a vent. Fortunately I still have 2 or 3 of them going strong that have traveled all over with the camper, snomachines, wheelers etc.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Something as simple as an inexpensive bike rack works well.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
How about a front or rear receiver rack? Your cans will be outside, but under the camper's overhang for protection. I carried five cans on my rear rack when driving the Alaska Highway so I could drive by remote desperation stop stations in Canada.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use RotoPax. I installed a RotoPax L bracket on the bumper of my AF 990, a Lox T handle and 2 GasPax. I have had them up to 10,000 feet without leaks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe what I need is a better gas tank and mount it on the ladder. I could not find details on the Mountain Addiction possibilities. Rotopax initially looked really good until I read about the need to vent the can every 10 degree temp change or 1000 ft change in elevation.

You need to do that with ANY can.

I can guarantee you that NOBODY with Rotopax jugs vents their cans 6+ times a day. I can guarantee you that at least 90% of them have no idea it's even a thing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe what I need is a better gas tank and mount it on the ladder. I could not find details on the Mountain Addiction possibilities. Rotopax initially looked really good until I read about the need to vent the can every 10 degree temp change or 1000 ft change in elevation.