cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J / Pilot to install megachargers for med/heavy trks

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting read. If you want to pull a fifth wheel with a medium or heavy truck your fueling situation just improved. Probably future bus conversions as well.

They are also adding CCS chargepoints for lighter vehicles although under a different program.

Times are a changing.

https://insideevs.com/news/628605/pilot-stations-fast-chargers-ev-trucks/amp/
62 REPLIES 62

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
We can pick ice vs. EV or Fossil vs. Renewable.
But the battle is between old established money the future captains of industry.
The old money will try to slow things down and hang on as long as possible.

Iโ€™m not sure I buy into that at all. The โ€˜future captains of industryโ€™ are losing market share at a pretty dramatic pace.

They are losing that market share to the โ€˜old established moneyโ€™.

Teslaโ€™s market share in 2021 was about 78%, last year it was down to 58%.

On the other hand, Ford saw a 126% gain in EV vehicle sales. They are currently number 2 in EV sales.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
There seems to be a lot of peripheral arguments both for and against EV's. As run100 just posted above its hard to get all the facts about EV's, but to me math does not lie. So, if you look at it in simple terms and compare apples to apples most EV's that I have looked at take 30 KW's to drive 100 miles. In my state they just raised my electric rate to 33 cents per KW. So, to drive 100 miles in an EV it cost $9.90. My Rav4 hybrid gets 42 MPGs on average, so it takes 2.4 gals to drive 100 miles. At $3.00/gal that is $7.20 at $4.00/gal that is $9.60. That is not cheaper for me where I live. When I looked at a tesla several years ago, I plotted a trip to Florida. Their GPS gives you all the charging stations along the way. They varied from 34 to 50 cents /KW which I'm sure by now they have gone up also. At 50 cents a KW it would cost $15 for every 100 you travel. $225 from CT to Florida vs $144 in my RAV4 at $4.00/gal. So, unless you live in a low-cost state, have access to free charging and don't drive long trips where you need a fast charger, to me an EV is not cheaper to drive.

And if those are the numbers I would have done exactly the same thing. I pay less than $0.07 per kw, so I would use $2.10 for charging 30kw, and with that I do 120 to 150 miles. For me, it was a no brainer also. But that is only my case, and as I said, I only look at my pocket and my convenience when I decide to buy my car. EVs are not for everybody, they can't be.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

map40
Explorer
Explorer
run100 wrote:
We own a hybrid that gets 42-mpg and completely love it! It's quiet, economical and a pleasure to drive. Trying to determine where and how everything we own or consume is made, and under what conditions, is beyond my ability.

Add on top of that the never ending lies and attempts to manipulate the population, not based on facts, but to accomplish ones own quest for power and money, regardless of reality or the impact on others. Again, that's a lot to sift through! I'm just trying to make it through each work day and put food on the table!

Agreed!!! Everybody looks at their side of the equation and figure out their own need. My pocket, my convenience, my decision...
Alfa SeeYa

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Gjac wrote:
There seems to be a lot of peripheral arguments both for and against EV's. As run100 just posted above its hard to get all the facts about EV's, but to me math does not lie. So, if you look at it in simple terms and compare apples to apples most EV's that I have looked at take 30 KW's to drive 100 miles. In my state they just raised my electric rate to 33 cents per KW. So, to drive 100 miles in an EV it cost $9.90. My Rav4 hybrid gets 42 MPGs on average, so it takes 2.4 gals to drive 100 miles. At $3.00/gal that is $7.20 at $4.00/gal that is $9.60. That is not cheaper for me where I live. When I looked at a tesla several years ago, I plotted a trip to Florida. Their GPS gives you all the charging stations along the way. They varied from 34 to 50 cents /KW which I'm sure by now they have gone up also. At 50 cents a KW it would cost $15 for every 100 you travel. $225 from CT to Florida vs $144 in my RAV4 at $4.00/gal. So, unless you live in a low-cost state, have access to free charging and don't drive long trips where you need a fast charger, to me an EV is not cheaper to drive.

Itโ€™s a good point. Some regions are cheaper than others for electric and gas. Although itโ€™s dirt cheap to drive electric over gas where we are thatโ€™s obviously not the case everywhere.

Having said that many people buy EVโ€™s for other reasons such as performance, tech and convenience not to mention the completely different driving experience. Not the right fit for everybody though. Everybody has different needs and wants.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

run100
Explorer
Explorer
We own a hybrid that gets 42-mpg and completely love it! It's quiet, economical and a pleasure to drive. Trying to determine where and how everything we own or consume is made, and under what conditions, is beyond my ability.

Add on top of that the never ending lies and attempts to manipulate the population, not based on facts, but to accomplish ones own quest for power and money, regardless of reality or the impact on others. Again, that's a lot to sift through! I'm just trying to make it through each work day and put food on the table!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

map40
Explorer
Explorer
That's it, I am tired of people posting nonsense with no idea. Half of you got the wrong information, the other half read the information wrong. I have been in the Cobalt and Lithium mines in South America and Africa. Almost all the ones I saw were OK. I am sure there is somewhere one in which somebody went to film some awful footage, but please, the video of the Joe Rogan Experience is not even close to the operations I saw.
Then we also need 1lb of cobalt to refine 80k gallons of fuel, and comparing how much cobalt an EV uses? What the heck are you taking about? That has nothing to do with the subject, and all of the numbers are obsoletely wrong and completely out of context.
Here it is how it goes. Cobalt is produced is a good way and in a bad way. And it is used in a lot of processes. And the EV industry is trying to avoid it because Cobalt free batteries are more forgiving, thermally speaking. They don't care about the Cobalt mining, just like you didn't care about Cobalt mining before EVs when Cobalt mining existed already.
You are all talking about politics, not technology. I have had EVs for over 10 years, and at the same time a Lincoln town car with a V8 and a 4 speed transmission, Cartier L, sold it with 530K miles. The worst gas eating car you can have. Why? BECAUSE EV USERS ARE NOT NECESAIRLY GREEN PEACE ACTIVISTS.
This is easy, if having an EV is cheaper and more convenient, we are going to have EVs. If having Hydrogen cars is cheaper and convenient, we are going to be driving hydrogen cars.
Stop the hypocrisy, you are typing in a Chinese made computer with a Malasyan made phone with software developed in India all running on batteries that contain more cobalt that an entire F150 lightning!!!
There you are, sitting typing while waiting on an Amazon package instead of going to the local store. Even wearing gold or diamonds from Africa.
Stop thinking the EVs are bad, and that people who drive them have a particular ideology, because they don't. And stop believing what you hear and read from ridiculous sources, they just lie to you so you read and eventually they make money from you.
Alfa SeeYa

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
kwplot34 wrote:
All EV's should be charged by either solar or wind power, otherwise the owners of EV's are just pretending.

Carry on.

I would add nuclear and hydroelectric power to the mix

Salmon disagree with the premise hydroelectric dams are environmentally friendly.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
kwplot34 wrote:
All EV's should be charged by either solar or wind power, otherwise the owners of EV's are just pretending.

Carry on.

Nope sorry, spent uranium is bad for the environment, hydro kills salmon and if you include wind power in the mix the enviros say it apparently kills bald eagles. (Which is funny because the bald Eagle population is huge, even if a windmill killed and eagle or 10, they are certainly thriving).
And thatโ€™s where the hypocrisy of the Left siders is soooo flawed. Which I feel both of you agree with. Just making a funny here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kwplot34 wrote:

Carry on.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer

Carry on.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
At this point EV vs ICE is not about math or engineering.
Elon has shown it can be done.
The debate is more finances. Who can win public opinion.
Who will ultimately control the profits

I see the whole going green movement as part of the propaganda to eliminate fossil fuels.
Exxon and those that will suffer financially are not going to just go away and cede to renewable energy.
We can pick ice vs. EV or Fossil vs. Renewable.
But the battle is between old established money the future captains of industry.
The old money will try to slow things down and hang on as long as possible.
Hopefully we all can see change is coming. EV's and renewable energy is our future.
Yes there are issues but the Cobalt slave trade will not hinder things.
Chinese workers do not enjoy the same protections as U.S. workers, but that has not slowed Apple or Nike.
I won't agree or disagree on the existence of the Cobalt slaves but at the end of the day the western world turns a blind eye in the same way we ignore Mid East atrocities in the name of oil.
The energy revolution is just in its infancy, old money will hold on as long as they can (It will take years). Both sides will push propaganda through the media and politically. In the end change is coming. There is nothing insurmountable holding back the energy revolution.
Infrastructure, battery tech, raw materials are all more a matter of time and money vs. a dead end.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
5 vs 2? I keep reading "math math math" (though more accurately arithmetic) so I figured I'd get on board. As you noticed the number of pairs in the drawer is probably irrelevant to the solution.

Perzactly!
Yet itโ€™s not irrelevant when making a calculated decision or analysis of SO many other things.
Like say, being able to calculate the amount of rare earth metal used PER VEHICLE or more accurately per vehicle mile.
Not trying to start an argument here, but the turnip truck that I fell off of dropped me in engineering school and if I was to casually dismiss โ€œarithmeticโ€ and statistics whenever convenient, people would be dead and I would be best case unemployed or in jail, worst case dead as wellโ€ฆlol.
:)Hey, I know my limitations. I'll not debate arithmetic nor math with an engineering school grad! It's said there are three kinds of people. Those who understand math and those who don't!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ronharmless wrote:
I put the cotton on first and put the wool over top of them.

And as long as your feet didnโ€™t sweat youโ€™d be toasty! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold