cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you can see I have a fifth wheel, and I am trying to find a replacement Deep Cycle battery. Who out there has had good luck with a particular brand for their 5er that lasts. Please include brand and Amp hours or name on battery so I can look it up. The one I have now is less than 2 years old and I believe it is causing me problems.
I have a 12V Dometic fridge, so I will be be relying on it heavily for use. I am usually connected to shore power.
19 REPLIES 19

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Rolls and Trojan are the Cadillac and Lincoln of deep discharge batteries. Excellent quality and durability but they are expensive and difficult to locate.

A pair of "name brand" GC2 golf cart batteries are a good alternative at much lower cost and can be located at most "club" stores.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have four 6V batteries in my 5th wheel for now. I just changed them all out last spring and went with polar batteries not sure who makes them but I get a discount because of where I work and I have been impressed with the car batteries I have been purchased from them. My main concern was price this time around and at least being a deicent quality. my last batteries lasted me 14 years but I am planing to sqitch over to LiFePO4 in the next couple years on the 5th as it is working real nice for the camper.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all you assistance.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
Currently I have 1 12V unit and can not fit another. It is a Super Start SSB 31DCM. I power a 12V compressor type fridge and all other 12V RV lights, etc. So I need 1 reliable 12V battery. 2 large wont fit. I am looking for something under $200.00. Brand and Model please as there are different models of specific brands of 12V Deep Cycle. I dont think 2 6V will fit.

I honestly do no think you can get to where you want with one battery. Can you add lithium batteries under a bunk or an interior cabinet? Do not place wet cell batteries in the interior. They will off gas hydrogen which is highly explosive.

Of course, lithium batteries are high dollar.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
“I will be be relying on it heavily for use” - “I am usually connected to shore power“
To me, those two statements are contrary to each other, it should be one or the other.

After reading the OP's post - I was wondering the same. (???)

Maybe he left out *not* connected to shore power.:h

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all, when on shore power it really matters little what type or capacity battery bank that you have. The battery is there for things 12V & the converter/charger will keep the battery topped up.

If you are one of those who only uses shore power you might as well buy the cheapest, smallest capacity battery that you can find. It is only when you get into the dry camping world when you need to think about battery bank capacity & type of battery. It can be the cheap wet cell, common starting type or deep cycle or graduate up the line, & expense, to AGMs, gel cells or Lithium.

A fridge on shore power does not care what type of battery is installed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If you are looking for a single marine/rv type 12v, I'd suggest a group 27, or 31, if it fits. My dealer recommends the interstate brand, and mine is still in use, since Aug 2012.

IMO, the secret to longevity is to not discharge these battery types to near 50% often. Mine is connected to shore power, or gen, most times, other than when towing.

Jerry

I had two Kirkland size 27's in my previous fifth wheel that were over 10 years old when I sold that fifth wheel . I agree, mine were never allowed to be very discharged ,they ran whatever including the furnace many nights without shore power , but were charged right back up every morning by a generator .

The fifth wheel when not being used or towed was plugged in 24/7, water level check frequently . IMO any quality 27 or 31 will work, Interstate is probably as good as any , I believe Costco sells the Interstate .

On a further note ,I have to Everstarts from Walmart in my 2014 Ram 3500 that replaced the OE's that have performed well. If I was in the market for just one RV battery I wouldn't hesitated to try one of the Everstart Deep cycle or AGM for my fifth wheel. My present fifth wheel I run two quality 6 volt , which IMO is the way to go ,but apparently the OP does not have room for two batteries .

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Compare sizes, many 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries have a smaller foot print than 12 V batteries, but are taller, but might allow you to put in two 6 Volt with increased amperage.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelc wrote:
Currently I have 1 12V unit and can not fit another. It is a Super Start SSB 31DCM. I power a 12V compressor type fridge and all other 12V RV lights, etc. So I need 1 reliable 12V battery. 2 large wont fit. I am looking for something under $200.00. Brand and Model please as there are different models of specific brands of 12V Deep Cycle. I dont think 2 6V will fit.

If you are on shore power, any cheap 12v battery will work fine and hold up for several years.

If you are operating off shore power any single battery (at least a lead-acid battery that fits in the same space) is going to be too little.

Now to some details:
- If you are on shore power, your 12v needs are provided primarily via the battery charger (aka: converter). The only thing the battery does is smooth out the voltage as a pass thru...some chargers don't even need a battery in the mix. On shore power a tiny riding lawnmower battery would be plenty.
- Assuming we stick to lead-acid batteries (lithium is a whole separate topic), most single 12v batteries are going to going to max out somewhere around 100-120amp-hr. You can really only use about 50% without damaging the battery, so around 600 watt-hours is available. We have a 12v fridge and it draws around 50w when running, so if you have no other 12v draws, it's good for about 12hr of run time (600w-hr/50w = 12hr). In reality, you have other 12v draws, so if you are boondocking occasionally away from shore power, you are probably dragging the battery way too low and resulting in a short lifespan. You either need to run a generator or add more batteries. If you add more batteries, you need a way to recharge them (see the comment above about doing an energy audit).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are looking for a single marine/rv type 12v, I'd suggest a group 27, or 31, if it fits. My dealer recommends the interstate brand, and mine is still in use, since Aug 2012.

IMO, the secret to longevity is to not discharge these battery types to near 50% often. Mine is connected to shore power, or gen, most times, other than when towing.

Jerry

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

Look at the LifeLine AGM Batteries -

GPL-31XT AGM Battery
Cold Cranking Amps

68F 950

32F 800

0F 650

Rated Cap. Amps Hours @ 20hr Rate

Minutes of Discharge

25 Amps

15 Amps

8 Amps
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Had 8 Trojan 105s in the mh for 14 yrs and looked after them untill 1 shorted out takin with it the controller, mh was plugged into power twice in all that time, 640 watts of panel, so if you look after them they will last, never let them get below 12.2 volts, run 6 of the same in the fw and same results.480 watts of panel.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Costco GC2 served me very well. Lithium battery is even better.