cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In bed fuel transfer tank question

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking to ad a 35-75 gallon in bed fuel transfer tank.(not an auxiliary/plumbed in) What type should I get, aluminum, steel or poly? Aluminum scares be because it is so thin, and steel will rust.
I was thinking poly, should be less condensation problem?
Please only respond if you have or had one of these. What is your experience?
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OverNightSensation wrote:
Thanks to all who replied! I decided to go with poly and ordered one of these.

:C

Well I stand corrected. That’s zackly what you were looking for.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks to all who replied! I decided to go with poly and ordered one of these.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Good suggestion. Except the OP wants 50 gal giver take and a replacement tank will only give him 15-20 more gal and a hefty charge on the ole American Express.
Plus he’s left the convo. He needs to decide what he wants as his wish list can’t all be granted.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Transfer Flow and Titan have high capacity replacement tanks. would get you more or less that you want, but won't have to struggle with taking it in and out
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
Here in Arizona, plastic degrades pretty fast from the sun. Maybe not an issue for you though.

Agreed. Although OP said he’s storing it under a tonneau cover.

What his uses, a little plastic xfer tank is what he’s after.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Arizona, plastic degrades pretty fast from the sun. Maybe not an issue for you though.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
On the theft topic, I always try to leave an unexpired but cancelled credit card laying in plain view in the vehicle. Figure, A. Shiny object, maybe will think they hit the lottery and bail without looking further or doing more damage. and B. Just to imagine the feeling when they go to buy 20 packs of Sudafed 10 minutes later and the card is declined!
That's just mean man. HAHA
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On the theft topic, I always try to leave an unexpired but cancelled credit card laying in plain view in the vehicle. Figure, A. Shiny object, maybe will think they hit the lottery and bail without looking further or doing more damage. and B. Just to imagine the feeling when they go to buy 20 packs of Sudafed 10 minutes later and the card is declined!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:

Permanent installation is not necessary. You can ratchet strap the tank down for safety reasons.
A 25 gallon tank will weigh 200#. Most tweakers will not even know what it is. Even then moving a greasy 200# diesel tank will not be easy.
While I do have a tonneau cover to keep my tank out of sight. Transfer Tank theft is the least of my worries

Agreed, you can temporarily secure your tank or others and if it's for occasional use, seems cumbersome if one uses it more frequently.

Regarding theft, call it luck or maybe the fact that you are virtually never in areas where theft is a real issue, but in my (unfortunately vast) experience in theft, primarily from construction sites, but otherwise rampant in most areas around the Puget Sound, even out in the nice 'burbs, I wouldn't give an unsecured super duper slick fuel caddy a month before it was gone. Full or empty. Full doesn't matter when you have tweaker strength, lol.
We had a Honda 6k generator chained to a bridge girder 40' in the air with no means of access besides climbing the abutment about 15' and walking a 165' long bare girder out to the next pier.
Made the mistake of leaving it up there one Friday night. It gone!

An unsecured fuel tank in the back or a pickup truck full or empty is about as easy as them stealing a pizza from the Dominos delivery guy.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure why the worry about "thin" aluminum. In my experience things made from aluminum tend to be made from physically thicker material than their steel equivalents.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OverNightSensation wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
So part time use and frequent removal?
Good luck. At least a metal tank can be strapped down fairly securely for safety purposes or could even install some nut serts or weld nuts to the bottom of the bed for easier removal.
I’d be hard pressed to leave a fuel tank in my truck that isn’t somewhat “permanently” secured.
Safety issues aside, if not bolted down, it’s like Christmastime for tweakers every time you park it!

I'm looking at low profile units, I have a BAKFlip MX4 bed cover to hide from prying eyes when not towing the 5er.

There are shorter tanks that don’t extend over the bed rail but any traditional pump would be too tall. There are some shorter tanks even that would allow the use of a normal transfer pump. Of course having to open up the tonneau every time to fill and empty.
Aside from that, one of those all in one plastic units like Lantley posted is the only other typical commercially produced option I’m aware of.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Marine poly tank that is DOT certified for gas or diesel. I did a slight modification to my tool box and it fits perfectly in half of the box and is out of sight and locked. It holds 27 gallomns. I expect one that fit the whole tool box would hold 50-60 gallons. Combined with the truck tank I can carry 65 gallons.

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Good luck. At least a metal tank can be strapped down fairly securely for safety purposes or could even install some nut serts or weld nuts to the bottom of the bed for easier removal.
I’d be hard pressed to leave a fuel tank in my truck that isn’t somewhat “permanently” secured.
Safety issues aside, if not bolted down, it’s like Christmastime for tweakers every time you park it!

I'm looking at low profile units, I have a BAKFlip MX4 bed cover to hide from prying eyes when not towing the 5er.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

Permanent installation is not necessary. You can ratchet strap the tank down for safety reasons.
A 25 gallon tank will weigh 200#. Most tweakers will not even know what it is. Even then moving a greasy 200# diesel tank will not be easy.
While I do have a tonneau cover to keep my tank out of sight. Transfer Tank theft is the least of my worries
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide