cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 5th with an Andersen Hitch in Short Bed Truck

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We will soon upgrade from a TT to a 5th Wheel, haven't purchased the 5th yet but know what make and model we will be buying, a Montana High Country, pic below of the front cap of that model. Our truck is a Ram Crew Cab with a 6'4" bed. I have an Andersen hitch which attaches to a GooseBall in the truck, pic below. With the offset of the Andersen hitch, it appears that the Andersen ball is just about centered over the truck axle.

My questions are, do you think with the hitch as shown, and a 5th wheel with a front end as shown, can that work safely if very careful about backing up?

My GooseNeck Hitch is a B&W. B&W sells a 4" offset ball, which would extend the hitch 4" to the rear. Would this be preferable? Is there any problems regarding the fifth wheel with moving the attachment point 4" rearward?

And lastly, those with experience with the Andersen hitch, the 4" offset ball looks like it sits about 3/4" above the bed. When attaching the Andersen hitch, would I still be able to pull it down snug to the bed?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice!

37 REPLIES 37

alanmikkelsen
Explorer
Explorer
Been towing for 50 years, mostly goosenecks. The Andersen Ultimate Hitch is the best fifth wheel hitch I've used. I have a 6.5' bed, with a fuel tank/tool box combo in the front so I use the 4" B&W offset ball with my AUH without any problem. I did have to get the short internal tube (see Andersen website) because of the increased height of the B&W extension. Pulls like a dream, no chucking at all.
Of all the liars in the world, the fisherman is the most trustworthy...

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
When I had my GMC 2500 it had a 6'bed and I put the coupler in the position to allow more clearance between the trailer and the cab. I also had a low profile roll up bed cover. The bottom of the pin box on turns over 60 degrees would contact the bed cover track and damage it. I did raise the ball up one level and it still made some contact. The next season I got my GMC 3500 and it had a 6'5" bed so I turned the coupler around and have had no issues.
So be aware pushing the pin box back in the bed will also affect the clearance to the sides. Now if I did not have a bed cover rail there would of been no issue but its something to look out for. Now this was with the stock pin box. I did upgrade to the MorRyde cushioned pin box and it does have a different profile that may have solved my problem of contact but I upgraded with the new truck so I will never know. Anderson is great as its so light the wife can install it.

OK, thanks for that information. I happen to have a bed cover, folding, and both tracks attach to the inside of each side of the bed. I had not thought of the possibility of the back of the pinbox hitting the bed cover tracks on a turn, but I can see how that might be likely. It will be inconvenient, but I may remove my bed cover + tracks before towing a fifth wheel.

Word to the wise about leaving an Andersen hitch exposed when parking in public areas -- all thieves need is some sockets and a ratchet or maybe a crescent wrench to relieve you of your hitch. I know this does happen on occasion, as I was shopping for a used Andersen, found one for sale online without the coupler in the picture. I messaged the seller and asked if he had the coupler for it, and he said no. I replied, "Thanks, but I don't buy stolen goods." He did not reply at all, pretty much admitting it was stolen goods.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
I would start with having the Andersen adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab of the truck . That’s the position I had it in with my first fifth wheel with the MorRyde pin box , no clearance problems with the tailgate , my present fifth , same truck I reversed the Anderson adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab . I had concerns with the pin box making contact with the tailgate , this fifth wheel has the Lippert pin box . Either position I have had no problems with cab clearance , same truck as yours .

Thanks much. That has sounded like the most practical starting point for my equipment so most likely I will start there.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my GMC 2500 it had a 6'bed and I put the coupler in the position to allow more clearance between the trailer and the cab. I also had a low profile roll up bed cover. The bottom of the pin box on turns over 60 degrees would contact the bed cover track and damage it. I did raise the ball up one level and it still made some contact. The next season I got my GMC 3500 and it had a 6'5" bed so I turned the coupler around and have had no issues.
So be aware pushing the pin box back in the bed will also affect the clearance to the sides. Now if I did not have a bed cover rail there would of been no issue but its something to look out for. Now this was with the stock pin box. I did upgrade to the MorRyde cushioned pin box and it does have a different profile that may have solved my problem of contact but I upgraded with the new truck so I will never know. Anderson is great as its so light the wife can install it.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
ZeeLet50 wrote:
To answer the OP's initial question and not off topic like this has gone...the short bed will work with the Anderson hitch. It does require situational awareness as does any hitch. Take it too far and there can be damage. The Anderson pulls fine. Just be aware that any placement of the pin further back of the rear axle will affect the ride somewhat. So that offset ball pushing the pin further back will work but you might get more "chunking" or sag. And that will be with conventional or Anderson hitches. The only difference you can see between the Anderson and conventional setup to the trailer will be a conventional will have a larger contact area with the pin box. I dont see how this stresses the frame more. It could break the pin off of a badly welded pinbox but maybe there is something I am missing or its just CYA of the manufacture. The new Morryde pinboxes are much beefier than the standard pinbox that used to come on the pre 2019 models.

Thanks to the input in this thread, I don't expect to try to / need to use an offset gooseneck ball. It sounds like you have experience with the Andersen hitch, so I have a question, if I might, for you, or anyone else with experience with the Andersen. The ball on top of the Andersen hitch in my truck appears to sit pretty much right over the rear axle.

The Andersen coupler, as you know, is going to offset the kingpin a few inches to the front or rear from the Andersen ball. I understand that pinbox positioning and the front cap of fifth wheel campers vary. My question is, would you suggest I use the Andersen coupler to offset the kingpin to the front or rear of the Andersen ball? This would be a starting position and I would then tow and observe carefully, and if needed, switch the direction of the Andersen coupler.

I would start with having the Andersen adapter putting the fifth wheel further from the cab of the truck . That’s the position I had it in with my first fifth wheel with the MorRyde pin box , no clearance problems with the tailgate , my present fifth , same truck I reversed the Anderson adapter putting the fifth wheel closer to the cab . I had concerns with the pin box making contact with the tailgate , this fifth wheel has the Lippert pin box . Either position I have had no problems with cab clearance , same truck as yours .

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
To answer the OP's initial question and not off topic like this has gone...the short bed will work with the Anderson hitch. It does require situational awareness as does any hitch. Take it too far and there can be damage. The Anderson pulls fine. Just be aware that any placement of the pin further back of the rear axle will affect the ride somewhat. So that offset ball pushing the pin further back will work but you might get more "chunking" or sag. And that will be with conventional or Anderson hitches. The only difference you can see between the Anderson and conventional setup to the trailer will be a conventional will have a larger contact area with the pin box. I dont see how this stresses the frame more. It could break the pin off of a badly welded pinbox but maybe there is something I am missing or its just CYA of the manufacture. The new Morryde pinboxes are much beefier than the standard pinbox that used to come on the pre 2019 models.

Thanks to the input in this thread, I don't expect to try to / need to use an offset gooseneck ball. It sounds like you have experience with the Andersen hitch, so I have a question, if I might, for you, or anyone else with experience with the Andersen. The ball on top of the Andersen hitch in my truck appears to sit pretty much right over the rear axle.

The Andersen coupler, as you know, is going to offset the kingpin a few inches to the front or rear from the Andersen ball. I understand that pinbox positioning and the front cap of fifth wheel campers vary. My question is, would you suggest I use the Andersen coupler to offset the kingpin to the front or rear of the Andersen ball? This would be a starting position and I would then tow and observe carefully, and if needed, switch the direction of the Andersen coupler.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Have had a turbo actuator go out on my 6.7 Cummins , many have not , many have . It’s well documented it’s a pretty common problem with 6.7 Cummins"

I have to ask, Turbo Charger or "ACTUATOR" ???

“ TURBO ACTUATOR “

YES the actuators do have a record of failing. Mine was replaced under warranty at around 90k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:

OK, thanks for the tips and cautions on using the Andersen hitch, much appreciated.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Have had a turbo actuator go out on my 6.7 Cummins , many have not , many have . It’s well documented it’s a pretty common problem with 6.7 Cummins"

“ TURBO ACTUATOR “

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
One man's opinion. I for one have never had an issue with Lippert.

It’s far from one man’s opinion, it’s a fact . Do a search if you have any doubts about the product. I’ve never had an issue with Lippert either . Have had a turbo actuator go out on my 6.7 Cummins , many have not , many have . It’s well documented it’s a pretty common problem with 6.7 Cummins. There’s actually a recall on the 2015’s . My point just because you haven’t , doesn’t change the fact others have , or it’s a common issue .

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
One man's opinion. I for one have never had an issue with Lippert.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
The bashing of a company has gone far enough. It you have no more input to the OP's question then I will close this one. I cannot let the continued bashing of one company go on.
Barney

Granted , there could be a more nice way to put it , but the fact still remains . So I will leave it at that .

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.