cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rivian R1S

blt2ski
Sitting next to an SUV with that model designation.
Nice looking rig, appears to be in the same chassis as pickup. No plates out.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
66 REPLIES 66

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:
No plates out.

What does that mean?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
map40 wrote:

Most EVs have an electric clutch (or connect/ disconect) between the wheels and the transmission. They don't have many components but they have a single or in some cases a 2 speed transmission (very simple, nothing like what am ICE has)

I am learning, thank you. I assumed each drive wheel had a motor. If a motor is driving 2, (or more) wheels would require some kind of differential to allow for turns. (ICE, towing spinning at least 1 differential, plus overdriving the driveshaft(s)

Due to the high torque of the electric motors, the traction control systems are much more complex than ICE's and monitor wheel speeds with a much higher frequency and precision.
The same problem happens with the regenerative breaking in snowy/icy condition. It is very easy to loose traction on ice and as it is involuntary (meaning the driver does not press the brake or anything else, it is activated automatically) so the system is monitoring not only the wheel speed independently several thousand times per second, it also triangulates with GPS and accelerometers to ensure the wheels are always "in traction".

I can't see where this would prevent towing a functional vehicle, just turn it off. After all, if the road might be slick any driver that has head on shoulders, not between cheeks will turn off the jakes.

All of this said, the problem is that flat towing something that complex may create unforseen problems, so lawyers said "How many more sales are you going to get by allowing flat towing? Is it really worth the risk?" And the answer was always "No".
There is no inherent technical reason (like the transmission in an ICE), it is simply "Why risk it, we are selling every unit before its built..."

Yes, I can see this issue. But this is not a reason a DIY that knows the systems could not work things out.

I have towed one of my leafs and one of my BMW but just to see how fast did they charge, and o boy did they complained!

Complained? Often gearsets designed to be powered from one end will make noise if driven from the other, and if load is on the other end, spinning faster than

LOL, just thinking as I type I realize that the gearsets, driven backwards, spinning the input, even unloaded, faster than what is normally output, could in fact face same, or more problems as transmission of ICE. I now see why EVs not toads, without designed from start.
Thank you

map40
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
time2roll wrote:
After a bit more reading... Rivian seems to no longer endorse four-down towing of the vehicles. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Bollinger had made the same comments and then shifted out of the personal market to focus on commercial.
There are no EVs that can be towed on all four wheels that I am aware of.

Can anybody tell what the issue is that would prevent flat towing? For years, ICE cars was the transmission did not lube itself unless the input shaft was spinning. Which implied spin the engine. EVs don't have transmission, so that's no problem. No disconnect between wheel and motor? Well spinning the motor, with no power to it, does no harm, as long does not exceed speed it would normally run. (Going to tow faster than you would drive?) Steering and brakes would be no more complicated than ICE.

Most EVs have an electric clutch (or connect/ disconect) between the wheels and the transmission. They don't have many components but they have a single or in some cases a 2 speed transmission (very simple, nothing like what am ICE has)
Due to the high torque of the electric motors, the traction control systems are much more complex than ICE's and monitor wheel speeds with a much higher frequency and precision.
The same problem happens with the regenerative breaking in snowy/icy condition. It is very easy to loose traction on ice and as it is involuntary (meaning the driver does not press the brake or anything else, it is activated automatically) so the system is monitoring not only the wheel speed independently several thousand times per second, it also triangulates with GPS and accelerometers to ensure the wheels are always "in traction".
All of this said, the problem is that flat towing something that complex may create unforseen problems, so lawyers said "How many more sales are you going to get by allowing flat towing? Is it really worth the risk?" And the answer was always "No".
There is no inherent technical reason (like the transmission in an ICE), it is simply "Why risk it, we are selling every unit before its built..."
I have towed one of my leafs and one of my BMW but just to see how fast did they charge, and o boy did they complained!
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I drove an R1S today (factory demo). Like all EVs the acceleration was mind blowing. I believe it can do a pretty good job towing, they told me 9000# (no door sticker as it was a preproduction model), except for the already mentioned problem of range and recharge with the trailer in tow.
It is nice inside, drives really good, great suspension, excellent handling. When you floor the pedal you just can't stop smiling. You just can't describe the feeling of driving at supercar speeds with the whole family and the dogs
Now, I still believe that for most RVers it won't be a good fit. You are paying over $100k for a tow vehicle that will need to recharge every few hours. I would take a Durango or Grand Cherokee Hellcat and tow as much as I want.
But if you can accommodate the range and the price it would make a heck of a tow vehicle!
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:

Thatโ€™s kind of what Toyota is working on. I saw an article a week or two ago. I think it was titled hitchless towing or something like that. A google search might bring up something.

Essentially a vehicle with self driving autonomy would do that. There are a few manufacturers working on that although I think itโ€™s still 2 or 3 years away. Who knows. The challenge would be the vehicle still needs to be fueled or charged manually. But of course there will be solutions for that too.

Fun to watch the technology change.

The video shows the idea would work. But that way both cars would need to supply power to move their self. To use on road, need to shorten the space between

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Looked up the R1S, reminds me of a Landrover.

Speaking of that front end... when I first saw them I thought they were ugly. In my town I see a Rivian pickup every so often, and in person they look pretty good! Still not great in my opinion, but not as horrible as I would have thought.

(can't seem to post a picture, probably not enough coffee in me yet)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Another idea; If driver of MH could power up the toad on the fly, make toad pull itself, or even push, on steep hills, or when need to accelerate.
This would make room in battery for the regen.

ROFL. Or what if it could fly, like a Jestons car, or teleport itself to the next destinationโ€ฆ.
Oh wait. Self driving is basically fully functional. You could have it virtually hitched to the Mohoโ€ฆ..

Thatโ€™s kind of what Toyota is working on. I saw an article a week or two ago. I think it was titled hitchless towing or something like that. A google search might bring up something.

Essentially a vehicle with self driving autonomy would do that. There are a few manufacturers working on that although I think itโ€™s still 2 or 3 years away. Who knows. The challenge would be the vehicle still needs to be fueled or charged manually. But of course there will be solutions for that too.

Fun to watch the technology change.

On edit. I found a video on it.

Hitchless towing.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Another idea; If driver of MH could power up the toad on the fly, make toad pull itself, or even push, on steep hills, or when need to accelerate.

ROFL. Or what if it could fly, like a Jestons car, or teleport itself to the next destinationโ€ฆ.
Oh wait. Self driving is basically fully functional. You could have it virtually hitched to the Mohoโ€ฆ..

I have seen ads where the car will park itself for the driver. And the cruise control system will slow the car to maintain safe following distance, sound alarm and brake if gets to close. Bell 1 add locks the car door if a bicycle is passing a parked car. Are you saying there could not be a target on the back of MH, so a car does not stay tight to it? Now add V bars for safety, and to move the car under normal driving. We can already apply the toad's brakes from MH driver seat. Would it take a lot to turn on Regen with the MH's jake? And with that regen working to slow the combination, a lot of the waste energy could be put in battery, used to move the toad next day, or even supply residential loads when MH parks for night. But with the amount of energy that needs to be dissipated by a MH brakes in the course of a day of driving, I could see EV battery reaching full charge. When that happened, the regen braking goes away. Turn on EV, let it push against the towbar, help MH get up to speed.
Now many will say the market is to small, nobody will work on this idea. But throughout history many things have been invented, not to sell, but to use. Somebody is likely working on towing their EV, even if the manufacture does not recommend. If it is somebody as dumb as I am, they are just doing mechanical things, just like a ICE. But if also can work with computers, who can say what they can come up with. Near 10% of cars sold worldwide last year where EVs. Somebody wants to tow one.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
What would you be trading up fromโ€ฆ..you know, if it could be a 4 on the floor toad?
Some day my old truck and 5th wheel will get retired. I expect my next RV is a Class A or Super C. At that point I want an EV to pull behind.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Not of great interest to Class A, B and C Rvers.
I am still waiting to get a report on using a Rivian as a toad. If it works I might just trade....

Could it be setup to add braking on a downhill? Regenerative?

Great idea. But probably a pretty small market for a manufacturer to invest in the R&D needed. That would be mostly software.

Toyota is working on โ€œfollow meโ€ software where the car would just follow the Motorhome. That would be a more universal approach as you could use any car as a toad. Or just tell it to meet you at the campsite. :). Mercedes and Tesla are probably not that far from that now with their (future) autonomous driving software packages.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
After a bit more reading... Rivian seems to no longer endorse four-down towing of the vehicles. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Bollinger had made the same comments and then shifted out of the personal market to focus on commercial.

Can anybody tell what the issue is that would prevent flat towing? For years, ICE cars was the transmission did not lube itself unless the input shaft was spinning. Which implied spin the engine. EVs don't have transmission, so that's no problem. No disconnect between wheel and motor? Well spinning the motor, with no power to it, does no harm, as long does not exceed speed it would normally run. (Going to tow faster than you would drive?) Steering and brakes would be no more complicated than ICE.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I am still waiting to get a report on using a Rivian as a toad. If it works I might just trade....

What would you be trading up fromโ€ฆ..you know, if it could be a 4 on the floor toad?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote: