cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Hill Country

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Recommendations for your favorite campgrounds in this area? We generally prefer State Parks, county parks, COE campgrounds. We like some hiking, wildlife viewing, scenic drives, looking at water, a bit of kayaking and maybe bicycling. Historic sites nearby are a plus.

Traveling in April.

Thanks,
Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
23 REPLIES 23

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Our trip took place from late March to early April. We really enjoyed Texas! Thanks again to all for your helpful suggestions.

If you like reading trip reports, I blogged the whole trip. My blog is in no way commercial (at least not for me; I'm sure WordPress is making money off of my content, but that's another story). If you are going to be offended by me posting a link here, just don't click on it. Save yourself the trouble. (I only say this because one time when I posted a link to my blog someone here got in my face about "promoting" my content.)

Here is the link to the start of the trip. Each succeeding day or group of days is linked at the end of each entry.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
SpeakEasy wrote:

This is our first time in the area and are currently in FIMFO. Very big rig friendly.

FIMFO? Not familiar. Can you decode for me?

-Speak

Here you go === FIMFO
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Any opinions about the Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park campground?

-Speak

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Hill Country - Camp Fimfo
campfimfo.com โ€บ texas-hill-country
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

This is our first time in the area and are currently in FIMFO. Very big rig friendly.

FIMFO? Not familiar. Can you decode for me?

-Speak

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Racklefratz wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
Recommendations for your favorite campgrounds in this area? We generally prefer State Parks, county parks, COE campgrounds.

Posters have hit most of the the high spots for this question.

But, having lived in this area for eons and canvassed places to RV here, I think it's worth mentioning for the benefit of RVers with larger rigs that none of the recommendations here apply to longer Class A's.

Our RV is a 43' Class A, and we can't get into any of these locations with the possible exception of Potter's Creek Park at Canyon Lake, but even at that, it would be tight. I don't want to try it.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
Recommendations for your favorite campgrounds in this area? We generally prefer State Parks, county parks, COE campgrounds.

Posters have hit most of the the high spots for this question.

But, having lived in this area for eons and canvassed places to RV here, I think it's worth mentioning for the benefit of RVers with larger rigs that none of the recommendations here apply to longer Class A's.

Our RV is a 43' Class A, and we can't get into any of these locations with the possible exception of Potter's Creek Park at Canyon Lake, but even at that, it would be tight. I don't want to try it.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Speak wrote:
It looks like maybe Bending Oaks RV Resort is now at the location you've described. Is it? Maybe?

That is it, for sure. The change has happened since we last stayed there. I can't comment on what that means about management. It may even be better. But my comment about location and site selection should remain valid.

Thanks for calling this to my attention.

EDIT to ADD: One change is that it is now a 21 age and up park--no children. Prices are, of course, more than we last paid. The section of the park that I recommend are sites L01-L05 and adjacent. Called on their map the "back of the park".

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Garmp wrote:
Depending when you go, DO make the Willow City loop if in the spring. The wild flower fields are unbelievable. Then of course there's Lukenbach. Another gotta see for us.

This is one of the few places in the United States where we prefer to stay at a KOA. It is at the intersection of the road leading out to Lukenbach on US 290. The best part of the campground is far back among the trees. That would still be our choice.

I'm not finding it. It may have changed from a KOA to a non-affiliated campground. It looks like maybe Bending Oaks RV Resort is now at the location you've described. Is it? Maybe?

-Speak

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Garmp wrote:
Depending when you go, DO make the Willow City loop if in the spring. The wild flower fields are unbelievable. Then of course there's Lukenbach. Another gotta see for us.

This is one of the few places in the United States where we prefer to stay at a KOA. It is at the intersection of the road leading out to Lukenbach on US 290. The best part of the campground is far back among the trees. That would still be our choice.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Bluebonnet Festival (in Burnet) worth going to? So far there is nothing listed as far as music headliners; I guess they will list that next month. What sort of music do they typically book?

Thanks,
-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have replied. I'm finding your input very helpful in my planning!

-Speak

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Potters Creek, Canyon Lake is excellent.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
What garmp said. ^
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS