cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multiple access points?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't be to hard on me with this question!
So for Wi-Fi while RV'ing I use one of three separate Cell phones as hot Spots( that would be two T Mobile network phones and one Verizon network phone), I do have a Wilson directional Cell booster and finally I have one of those AT&T network Dome antenna's on the roof that also acts as a Wi-Fi booster.

If I recall correctly( haven't been on a RV adventure in a couple years) my Dome can act as an access point? Or is that what it is called where you can input all the passwords thus allowing the access point to choose the strongest signal between those that are entered?

In the past, I did everything manually, switching from one hot spot to another....I guess the reason I'm asking is if you have devices set to one password and that signal becomes unusable while another becomes available, can a separate device chose the from multiple access points with different passwords and spit out a universal Password allowing the devices to continue uninterrupted?

Hope I'm asking this correctly enough to understand.....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
4 REPLIES 4

MrWizard
My phone , my tablet,snd my firestick, can & will auto connect to any hot spot it was previously connected to and has the password in its system the wifi hotspots have different passwords, but the connection only switches if the wifi goes off/shuts down, not because the hotspot lost internet signal but is still broadcasting a WiFi signal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your right about Starlink..I may have to look at that again......that would solve any connection issues without worrying about changing everything. Thank you for the replies....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If I am sure what you are asking, if you have multiple access points will something connected to those access point change to the one with the best signal without any intervention on the users part??

Simple answer is .... NO.

Devices using any type of access point all have to be configured to attach to a single access point. It may be that if the signal of a specific access point is lost, a good system might try to attach to another, but unless it was previously configured to use another access point it can't "free-lance"

WiFi systems can be configured for multiple access points, but none I have managed have ever gone off and selected the best signal. One may go looking if a signal is lost, but unless it was previously configured to "automatically connect to the access point that it does find, it will just stare at you and ask if you want to go there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need Starlink.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman