cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrige operation in cold weather

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be travelling in Feb. and will encounter night time temps in the teens to 20's. We're not planning on staying in the RV but will stay in motels. I believe I've read that these cold temps could cause problems with the absobtion type fridge. I have a Fridge Defend installed.

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.
5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
two travellers find detailed explanations and solutions here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
COLD below 20 degrees affects the operation of the COOLING UNIT ammonia mixture. Turning on the LAT(if installed) does NOT have any affect on extreme cold weather operation. It is best to just install a 40 watt incandescent light bulb in the rear outside of the refer. Of course, this assumes you will be able to plug in to 120 volts while staying in the Hotel. I always advise AGAINST blocking the outside air door intakes. Out of sight and out of mind mentality takes over and if you forget to open up the blocked doors when traveling to warmer climates, you can ruin a cooling unit. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’d seal the bottom vent closed until warmer temps.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Won't hurt the fridge..

Some units have a LAT switch (Low ambient temp) That turns on the inside light (incandescent) to generate a bit of heat inside the fridge which believe it or not makes it work better in cold temps.

I've been down to 11 overnight with no problem and no LAT (The RV was heated to 70 however by the furnace)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you run it during the daylight traveling but worried about the night in the 20s or teens just turn it off till your on the road again. If its that cool it will take some time to alter the internal temp of the fridge. Just remember the second law of thermodynamics, if anything the temp may get a degree or two lower.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu