cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace fridge with different model?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our older RV (2005 Fleetwood 25QB) fridge (Dometic RM2652) died, and I'm wondering if there's any issues replacing it with an RM2620? It is not listed as a replacement model in this chart but as far as I can see the only difference is it's slightly smaller, and I could just shim and bolt it into place as securely as possible.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest checking Ebay and Amazon.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure, measure, measure. Add in the estimated costs of doing the 'surgery' of making a different one fit.

The big maintenance cost for us this year will be a new fridge. Can't find a domestic type fridge that can fit so it will be back to same model as old which will be big $$$ for the unit but no modifications for the swap.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all, this is the information I came here for ๐Ÿ™‚
God bless!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok when replacing the entire fridge there are basically two considerationss

SIZE.. Smaller you can indeed shim or reframe. but the job may be more involved than you think due to the way the cooling unit works.

RV or "Residential" or .. Special

RV fridges are designed to work off either Electric or propane.. On propane they do eat a small amount of electrical power but.... Mostly propane. So they can go a LONG time on batteries alone.

Residential Do not eat propane. ever.. So you can cap off that line or trace it back to the manafold and plug it off. BUT they do eat ELECTRICITY If you plan to run off battery power you will need some upgrades... and in inverter.

There is a new "Special" type. I call it "Danfoss" after one of the companies that makes this class of compressor.. If someone knows the proper class name. PLEASE let me know.

These are all electric... around 50 watts. (Door closed) Both Norcold and Dometic at one time made them in RV-Sizes.. I have a chest freezer in this class (Small job) used to have one slightly larger lasted 18 years. THey too last quite a while on battery and work very very well. especially under adverse conditions (High/Low ambient temps) (Same as residential in that respect).

And finally: As someone said why not replace just the cooling unit... Thats how I fixed mine..

Some information on RV fridges The box is basically styrafoam. There is a metal frame on which the door hangs.. There are Electronics that sense temp and control it (Scattered about both inside and out)

And the cooling unit. this bolts on the back of the box.. No part of it is inside the box (The fins are not part of the cooling unit) you pull the thing out dissassemble. reassemble with new cooling unit and put it back.

NOTE: I'm making it sound a bit easier as you will reuse the burner and electric heater. the control computer and other stuff so there is quite a bit to disassembly and re-assembly but it can be done "on the bench" as it were.

Technician and I did mine in about 2-3 hours and then since I was last customer of the day we took each other to supper (She drove I paid) got back and it was already cold.. Total for two jobs was (That and a new floor in the slide out) was 2300.00 give or take pocket change. The floor took longer. LOT longer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you don't boondock consider a 120 volt unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
SlowBro wrote:
Our older RV (2005 Fleetwood 25QB) fridge (Dometic RM2652) died, and I'm wondering if there's any issues replacing it with an RM2620? It is not listed as a replacement model in but as far as I can see the only difference is it's slightly smaller, and I could just shim and bolt it into place as securely as possible.

I wouldn't say it's "slightly smaller," . . . . . I would say it's considerably smaller! (about 2 cubic feet smaller) If that's OK with you, then, IMO, it's just a matter of some minor cabinetry work (filler slats/panels) and possibly some plumbing work if the propane connection ends up in a slightly different location because of how you choose to mount the new unit. If the 2620 has a condensate drain, make sure there is adequate slope/location to drain the the exterior.

Think of the information in the chart as "for direct replacements" which the RM2620 is not. I believe the RM2652 still has parts available direct from Dometic, and in the aftermarket if you go that route. At least it did was when I replaced my entire unit (RM2652) in 2015. They have gone up quite a bit in price since then. If I remember, I paid about $1,350 installed for a new RM2652 then. I've recently seen refurbished units on Ebay for about $1,000. (add hefty shipping fee)

Chum lee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see anything in the specs as to why it would not work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
The dimensions in the chart shows why it isn't exact fit. Would have to modify opening.

Yes, I would shim it and bolt it best I could, question is aside from the dimensions, would there be any reason it wouldn't work?
God bless!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The dimensions in the chart shows why it isn't exact fit. Would have to modify opening.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home Skillet wrote:
For a 1/3 of the price, you can replace just the cooling unit.
LINK

No, that's more expensive than the one I'm eyeing.
God bless!

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a 1/3 of the price, you can replace just the cooling unit.
LINK
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY