Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flickering Lights and Battery Charging fuse

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two item:
For those that have a Carriage Cameo (mine 2012) where is the fuse that goes to the battery. If this is blown the battery won't charge. I think I found it but am not sure.

2. I have a new AGM 12V gel battery in my 5er. With the converter/charger on the battery voltage drops under load (100AH at 850CCA). The Charger/converter will hold the lights for a short time, but also when the volts drop to 12.6 +- I get the flickering. I tested the unit and according to manufacture it is putting out the proper voltage with and without load.

All ground wires in the forward compartment seem tight and good. I have not checked the frame ground yet.
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WHY VOLTAGE DROPS AND I CAN'T RUN 12v FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME?
1 REPLY 1

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would check your frame ground or maybe run a temporary ground from the battery to the charge/controller.

As far as your question on why the voltage drops under load. I would guess one of two answers.

1) Resistance. If there is high resistance you can get normal voltages unloaded. When using a digital meter it takes next to nothing to read 12 volts on an unloaded circuit.Think a single strand of wire the diameter of a human hair will read 12 volts with a digital meter.

2) Your load center might be failing and not passing the current necessary while under load.

Maybe try tapping into the socket holding a bulb that dims. Then when the bulb gets dim check and see if you have the same voltage at the bulb as you have at the charge controller.

Last thing. Pay attention to battery voltage or charger voltage. Remember 12.6 volts and 12.3 volts are vastly different. So when plugged in you should get the same voltage or voltage within a tenth of a volt at the battery, at the controller and at the light bulb.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup