cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to identify model of trailer

TyrellMoris
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I am attempting to restore the trailer pictured below. The paper is not accessible at this time and I am just trying to figure out what exactly I have here it is my family members' trailer that has been left on my property for 7+ years. I have tried running the VIN on several different databases but there is never any information. I have tried contacting the manufacturer but it seems that Thor America does not have Citation listed on their sites anymore. Any help would be appreciated thanks for taking your time.

18 REPLIES 18

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Jenniesgarage videos regarding a complete rebuild of a Shasta trailer. The frame and aluminum siding were all that were salvaged, so a complete rebuild.

https://www.youtube.com/@jenniesgarage/search?query=shasta

They are a fun couple to watch;.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
As you see, it is a Citation brand, probably made by Thor. From the looks of it, this trailer has sat a long time with no care or maintenance. It is most likely a wood frame trailer and there are obvious signs of water intrusion. This means rotten wood.

Personally, I would not invest the time or money to do much of a restoration. It will be a money pit.

Krn
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
"Some" leaks is pretty much an understatement!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trailer is not worth saving. Turn it into a utility trailer and be done with it.
Puma 30RKSS

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer is definitely not worth the time and money even if it is free.
Just say no to the payload police :C

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
looks like a possible utility flat bed trailer project...if the frame hasn't rusted away.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like everything above the frame needs to be scrapped.

TyrellMoris
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
First thing is look for water leaks. If it has water leaks, then you may find significant rot of any wood members. It doesn't take long once leaks start. That might determine if you proceed, or just scrap it. May be just the picture angles, but the structure looks somewhat twisted.

The twist is probably from the picture but I was inside of it today and unfortunately, I believe that this is past recovery and time to scrap it. There must have been some leaks and I took some pics of the water damage. The front of the trailer, roof, and floor are all squishy to the point where I can drive a screwdriver right through it I if wanted to. And the roof is sagging and it's all black and moist underneath. Also concerned about black mold as well.

MOD'S EDIT: Fixed the photo size so the pics won't blow up the page.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here in NY state there is the concept of "homemade" trailers, which allows you to register and title pretty much any trailer by calling it homemade.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Probably built in Oliver BC. There was a citation/Corsair factory there for years.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
First thing is look for water leaks. If it has water leaks, then you may find significant rot of any wood members. It doesn't take long once leaks start. That might determine if you proceed, or just scrap it. May be just the picture angles, but the structure looks somewhat twisted.

Looks like flat tires on the right side to me.
Yes, do Not sink a dime into that trailer until you get it titled. There may be a "salvage" title option for an abandoned trailer if you run out of regular options.
I like the overall design of that trailer except it appears to have a low ceiling based on the door pictured. Less wind resistance going down the road, looking on the brighter side 😉
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Before you rip everything apart do a deep cleaning and dispose of all the fabric, mattress, cusions, curtains. Then check carefully for water leaks and repair as needed. If the mildew odor is still present get an ozone generater and run it a couple times. That should remove the odor. If mold is present you have a bigger problem.
The manuals for the appliances,axles, brakes, are available online.
Manuals for your specific model trailer is useless.

TyrellMoris
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Everything you need will either be standard across most trailers or custom made.
Not sure knowing the year, make and model is going help much.

Best of luck. Going to be a fun project.

Is it going to be road worthy or just a guest house?

Hopefully road worthy. Everything on that trailer was working perfectly but I am no expert and I assume that we will have to rip this thing apart to get something nice out of it since it has been sitting for so long and the inside has a strong mildew odor.