cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Flex Armor

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting up there in years, and my sense of balance being compromised by a mini-stroke years ago, I am seriously thinking about investing in the sprayed-on Flex Armor roofing system. By doing this, I hope to minimize or eliminate having to get up on my roof to inspect everything. Anybody know about this product or have had it applied? It is a significant investment, so any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Update info:
2021 Alliance 310 Paradigm
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Supercab SRW -7.3 Gas & 4:30 Axle
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
13 REPLIES 13

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
RV Roofing Inc of Green Cove Springs, FL has done my 37' Motorhome. Best investment ever.

Sold that RV and purchased a 43' 5th wheel. Two years ago, a tree limb at TTO in Florida reached out and put 3 holes in my OEM roof. No seam damage but middle of roof damage. Did not hesitate, took the coach to Green Cove Springs again to have the spray roof installed.

The Spray on roof is quieter, cooler in summer, warmer in winter and no maintenance is required. Best investment ever, again!
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I had ours done a few years back after getting too close to our pecan tree. DFW RVroofs in Denton Tx did the roof. Cost was actually cheaper than our local dealer wanted for OEM type roof.
Price included new vents, skylight, & vent fans. All seams sprayed over and when I picked it up they told me to " stay off the roof ".
I would not hesitate to do this again if we ever replace this rv. Also the warranty transfers if you should ever sell

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Seams are always an issue on any roof.
But claiming the standard roof is fine vs. Flex Armor is misleading.
Sort of like claiming standard drum magnetic brakes are the same as disc brakes.
Both Flex Armor and disc brakes are a significant improvement vs. the standard OEM counterpart.

Never made any claim to the contrary. I simply pointed out that most failures of the rubber roof system are the sidewall connection points, something that Flex Armor doesn't suffer from. I am fine with the quality of the rubber roof, for the most part. It isn't the BEST system, but its included in the price, so it works fine for me.

$500 to have Flex Armor applied around the roof/wall seams would be a reasonable expense and a significant upgrade. $5-6000 to cover the whole roof doesn't make financial sense for me. Just stating that it would be nice as an option. It doesn't need to be ALL or NOTHING.

As with any roof the weak spots are the seams and penetrations.
Sealing the ends would be beneficial, but other penetrations would still remain. Doing the entire roof is the only way to get real foolproof protection.
You are correct the rubber roof is not the best system, which opens the door for a product like Flex Armor.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
I had my Teton roof sprayed seveal years ago and no leaks since. Was a bit costly but I planned on keeping my 2007 rig for a long time. Now if they could invent a spray on system to reverse my old age they would really have something. Highly recommended product. I had mine done in Texas near Buchannon dam and they were very good to work with and I was completely satisfied with the job.
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Sort of like claiming standard drum magnetic brakes are the same as disc brakes.
Both Flex Armor and disc brakes are a significant improvement vs. the standard OEM counterpart.

Never made any claim to the contrary. I simply pointed out that most failures of the rubber roof system are the sidewall connection points, something that Flex Armor doesn't suffer from. I am fine with the quality of the rubber roof, for the most part. It isn't the BEST system, but its included in the price, so it works fine for me.

$500 to have Flex Armor applied around the roof/wall seams would be a reasonable expense and a significant upgrade. $5-6000 to cover the whole roof doesn't make financial sense for me. Just stating that it would be nice as an option. It doesn't need to be ALL or NOTHING.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059 wrote:
I'd be a LOT more interested if they had a product that was about 8" wide right where the rubber roof meets the front, side and back walls. That is the weak spot in the traditional RV roof. The other 95% of the roof is perfectly fine.

It would be similar to Eternabond tape application around the seams, but ideally look a little more professional.

I purchased a 25' roll of 8" Eternobond and bridged those 2 seams on my last 2 RV's because of the possibility of leaks...

I was not concerned with the looks as you cannot see the roof... I agree with you for the side seams....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
I'd be a LOT more interested if they had a product that was about 8" wide right where the rubber roof meets the front, side and back walls. That is the weak spot in the traditional RV roof. The other 95% of the roof is perfectly fine.

It would be similar to Eternabond tape application around the seams, but ideally look a little more professional.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Had it done to our 2016 40ft 5th wheel when new, a tree jumped out on me and cut my rubber roof. Sold the trailer this year and it was as good as the day we put it down. Also lifetime transferable warranty.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might check into the new stuff there spraying on houses instead of paint. guy up the road had it done looks great, three years old now says no peeling.he says its like a truck bed liner .

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
We had our 16 ft truck camper done in York PA 8 months ago. Paid 3K for job that took less than 2 days. Like you I was not wanting to risk going up there so often for maintenance. I am obsessed with not having leaks. Now I only go up to wash it! It is a very robust coating like 3/8" thick with a UV coating over that. Wished I knew of this process when I limbed my original rubber roof. 5K to replace that.
You won't regret having it.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our neighbor has a 40' Alpha that he was constantly having water leak problems with. He finally bit the bullet and had the Flex Armor applied.

He says that it's the best thing he ever did and has had absolutely no leaks anywhere. He had it done about 3 years ago for $6000.
We can see the roof of his rig from our house and I can honestly say it looks as good as it did 3 years ago.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read of many posts that say they're very happy with the Flex Armor coating, but after spending $6,000-$8,00 I'd say that too. 🙂 But seriously, it does seem to have a large number of supporters.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"