cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2023 camping season

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
Are you still going or cutting back this year due to rising costs? The campground I camp at your having a hard time reserving campsites.
28 REPLIES 28

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
liamricci wrote:
Thinking about South Africa camping trip at the end of the year. Any suggestions?

Doing a Kenya trip in January. Pretty much the same trip we did in 2019.

Of course, does a tent with concrete floor, 4 poster bed, flush toilet and shower still count as camping even if there are hyena paw prints within 3 feet of the entrance flap in the morning? (and we thought the Masai warrior was teasing us when he was looking behind the bushes and tents as he walked us back to our tent after dinner).

Into Nairobi, down to Amboseli to camp under Kilimanjaro, then up to Naivasha before a few days in the Masai Mara. While you can self drive, there is no way you would see half of what we did with a guide. They were constantly stopping to talk to the other guides in Swahili about where to find different animals.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am camping more here in the West. Mostly I do not make reservations, but go on weekdays and avoid National and State parks.

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about South Africa camping trip at the end of the year. Any suggestions?
Already read an interesting article on how to have amazing camper holidays https://metapress.com/how-to-have-amazing-camper-holidays/ and getting ready slowly. What are the most important things i should know in your opinion? Something we should forget to take with? Really appreciate some advices

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
During vacation months of June, July and August I fish and camp only in remote areas with no or undeveloped campgrounds OR I dry camp at Military Bases RV parks. Other months I have no problems getting campsites during the week. Just returned from camping/kayak fishing two week trip at Bodega Bay, Lawsons Landing/Dillion Beach and Nicks Cove. Campsites cost me between $15.00 to 17.50 per night at SPs and base RV.

Life is good and all is good. Cheers to common sense and the brave.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been to Myrtle Beach for a week already. Getting ready to go to Stone Mountain GA while it is still there. Only other for sure is Gettysburg in the fall and Bristol, TN and WV also. Diesel was $4.50 this morning.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
As our kids get older and have their own means of camping (anywhere from a tent to a 40' horse trailer with living quarters) - we will probably camp more than ever ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock or go to remote campgrounds away from crowds. Main reason we RV for the last 20+ years staying away from people.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boondocking is free.
USFS camp sites are half off with a senior card.
There is a lot of snow in the West and many places won't open time.
Some of the passes may open in July.

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning 2 months camping trip in South Africa this year. Any recommendations are highly appreciated. I already decided to delegate all my technical translations to these guys https://pickwriters.com/technical-translation-services and use the time to prepare a proper travel plan. I also want to find a decent accommodation for us for one or two days a week during the trip, so we don't forget how the civilization feels like.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reisender wrote:
What costs are rising that one wouldnโ€™t incur at home?
Campground prices , but that's only because we don't camp at home.
Also, while gas prices are up (and still rising) everywhere, we use much less of it at home.
Now, having said that, we're not staying home totally, not doing anything till May when we take an Alaskan Cruise, then probably do some local camping, (2 1/2 hours away) then Upstate NY for the fall.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
What costs are rising that one wouldnโ€™t incur at home?

dedmiston
We're heading out to camp and ride tomorrow afternoon.

Knock on wood, it should be the easiest prep ever. We got all packed up over a month ago to camp for New Year but we had mechanical trouble and couldn't go out. I just need to refill the LP since the fridge has been full this whole time.

I can't wait.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will keep on camping as much as usual. This winter in Arizona, it doesn't look like anyone stayed home because of fuel prices either.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
I wish MORE RV folks would 'cut back'.. ha, ha... That would make it easier to get reservations at the parks I want to go to..

I can't just pick up and go on a whim.. I do not wish to just "camp" in a parking lot type of park.

I was paying $6/gallon gas last season, so I guess since eggs are now $3/dozen, I might just have to make smaller omelets on the Blackstone! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

Hey Mitch...where ya gettin those $3 doz eggs? Walmart here is $5.80 doz! Is it possible to make a 1 egg omelet??:)

I don't get concerned over gas prices, in fact, when towing, most always use pure premium.Walmart here is $5.80 doz!

Jerry
At these egg prices, I'm seriously thinking of giving DW a dozen eggs instead of Roses for Valentines Day. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund