cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North or Northwest of Milwaukee and points north

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for a spot for a few days. E&W and least. We'd want access to Milwaukee some, lakefront north of Milwaukee and maybe Madison. Wouldn't have to be right on top of any of those things.

Prefer clean and friendly places, doesn't have to be luxury. Going to head north afterwards. Maybe Door County as a final destination, or maybe some time there then on to the UP and make our way back down through Michigan to Southern Indiana.

The route after Milwaukee seems easier to plan, but we just don't have a good idea for that area. Advice on any parts of that route are appreciated.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
8 REPLIES 8

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
There's always Oshkosh for the big airshow in July.
Finding a spot reasonably near there might present a challenge, though.

Likewise, near Elkhart Lake if you like road races. They have several events each summer.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Another WI State Park along Lake Michigan is Point Beach just north of Manitowoc in Two Rivers. Nice hiking/walking trails. Manitowoc has a Maritime Museum that is very interesting.

Harrington Beach SP is closest to Milwaukee of everything mentioned here. Nice hiking/walking trails, especially the one around Quarry Lake.

Kettle Moraine SP, Ottawa Lake, is between Milwaukee and Madison but furthest from Lake Michigan. Only one walking/hiking trail with direct access from campground.

We've been to all 3 several times and enjoy them all.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really enjoy the Pike Lake Campground near Hartford. We have stayed there a few times. Some great museums in the area are Old World Wisconsin and the Wade House. For people that live along the east coast museums highlighting the early 1800's may not be impressive, but remember that Wisconsin was a frontier in the early 1800's.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

debrhardt
Explorer
Explorer
i only know the state park/forest locations.

harrington beach to the north
pike lake to the nw
ottawa lake (kettle moraine sf) to the west
bong to the sw

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Can not help on Milwaukee but if you do decide to visit Madison the Lake Farm County park is pretty good. https://parks-lwrd.countyofdane.com/park/William-G-Lunney-Lake-Farm

If you go to Door County I prefer staying at Hyland Court https://www.hylandcourt.com/

There are alot of nice parks in Door County both private and state. Its easy to spend a week in Door County
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I know you mentioned north and west but Cliffside in Racine is very nice and quiet and would meet your requirements. If traveling north towards the UP, you could take in the "experience" at Lambeau. :B There are lots of choices up around the GB area. Manitowoc has a world II submarine you could tour and the UP is just loaded with beauty! Our favorite place to be in September! The colors in fall are unreal! It's a beautiful area to visit almost any time of year. Marquette (MI) so far this year has 120" of snow recorded! :E The summers in the UP are awesome if you can tolerate the black flies!

Dan

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
evanrem wrote:
Harrington beach state park in Port Washington is nice and has large sites. Itโ€™s on the lake and Port Washington is a cool smaller town. Further up is kohler andre which is nice as well but the sites are a bit smaller and further from Milwaukee. West of Milwaukee is Ottawa lake campground but if I was going to pick between the two I would stick with Lake Michigan.

Stopped in Kohler Andre last spring while traveling through. Nice place, though a little far along.

Weโ€™ll check out Port Washington. Thanks!
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harrington beach state park in Port Washington is nice and has large sites. Itโ€™s on the lake and Port Washington is a cool smaller town. Further up is kohler andre which is nice as well but the sites are a bit smaller and further from Milwaukee. West of Milwaukee is Ottawa lake campground but if I was going to pick between the two I would stick with Lake Michigan.