cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old truck, new look…

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have had the old Freedom Wagon about finished for a while.
The kids both got new wheels for Xmas. Santa got older son got some pimp looking Konigs, staggered setup for his 06 Mustang GT. And St Nick managed to get these heavy bassturds on the sleigh for our younger boy! Reindeers were p!ssed off aboot it…lol
Went old school cool mobsteel, Detroit Steelies. 20x9, 3.5 backspace and 35-12.50-20 red letter Grabber X3s.
They are obnoxiously heavy, tires and rims equal offenders. But run very true and took less weight to balance than I expected.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ivbinconned wrote:
This is my weakness. Pulled fifth wheel around western states years ago. Now I take it to shows.

Like button!
I feel like I’ve seen that truck before online…maybe here. It’s a beautiful truck!
If this one pans out, it may be my next one….

Supposed to be all original. Not a huge fan of the Beau James trim, other than it’s rare. But factory big block, AC, cruise in a 1975 pickup is a nice combo.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my weakness. Pulled fifth wheel around western states years ago. Now I take it to shows.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And now she’ll be a mud slinger with that offset. So I’m gonna get some bulk clear film and clear bra the body below the belt line.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In honor of t2r, gotta keep this drivel going!
Well as suspected, the 1.5” greater negative offset wheels combined with the gnarly new shoes don’t clear the back corners of the front fenders very well.
I was contemplating clearancing those when we restored the body since I had to repair them from previous damage, but I really didn’t want to cut anything and time was a factor.
But the solution is only $50. Well $100 since someone cut the front axle u bolts flush and I needed another inch of thread.
Off-road Designs makes “Zero Rate” they call em, 1” lift blocks essentially. And yeah lift blocks in front is a no no.
However these actually bolt into the leaf pack just like adding a thick overload leaf to the bottom of the stack. They provide a larger bearing surface than springs alone and are pre drilled to offset the axle forward or back a couple increments if necessary.
Given I don’t/didn’t want to go to a 6” lift in front these should work great. And provide several options for lift/axle placement. Can even experiment with no sway bar now since the springs are so stiff (haven’t been able to so far due to clearance, even with the old wheels). Or if I can get the clearance needed with the zero rate and removing the main leaf on the pack, with sway bar maybe I can soften up the front end just enough.
It has Rough country front springs from a prev owner. And they live up to the first word in their name! Be good for snow plowing and not much else! Lol.
Bought the shocks a bit long knowing I’d have to increase the lift.

So this is like the LFP science experiments for guys who turn wrenches…

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^This ones “loose” too. Got the trademark Mark VI cold piston clearance and sometimes it gulps a little oil.
Another skill for the boy. He’s never experienced any of our vehicles that “use” oil. Never heard or seen me harping on checking oil. Now he’s got an old Tahoe that inhales oil (gotta fix it I think faulty pcv) and this truck.
Good learning experience. He got a Low Oil light in the Tahoe once.
Told him his truck doesn’t have that nanny. It’ll run fine until it doesn’t….

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
7.4 = It’s no powerhouse but it’ll get out of its own way. And it’s clean, not leaky and big enough to make nice noises out the twice pipes.

Loved the tunes that came from the tail pipes of my old 454. Brings back good memories. It was built a bit on the "loose" side and used a quart of oil every 5-600 miles, but hardly changed in the 100k or so miles that I had on it when I traded it.

Tons of torque, but a bit low in hp. Good in it's day, though.

Yep-bonus for sure.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup. He’s learnin. Kids mom was happy too because dad was not home and mom was going to call a tow truck. It was only a few miles and most of it through subdivisions.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^Smart boy...knew to call Dad, rather than just jump in, maybe causing damage to one of the vehicles.

Snapchat pics will prove to friends, that Son knows how to git er done! Worth more than the $20 fee!

So many reasons for every person 5 yrs and up, to have a smart phone.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It’s officially a tow vehicle again.
Son (16) called me yesterday for how to instructions. His buddy broke down not too far from home.
Pulled a Ford Ranger!
The fee was $20 and pics on Snapchat!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
The 20” wheels kills it for me. I wouldn’t have gone bigger than 17” myself. They are just to big for a square body!

Ya I really considered 16s or 17s actually. Can get steelies in 17s but not to fit the OE hubcaps.
And rims and especially tires would have been a good amount cheaper.
But we really dig the big steelie look.

And Detroit Steel Wheels is top notch. They’ll powder coat them how you want and also installed the clips for the hubcaps.
End of the day they were less than US Wheel, the only other place that makes > 17” in steels.

Honestly they should look into doing 19.5s. With Vision being the only limited option now.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
7.4 = mo betta!
Finally got the scoop on the engine in the truck. I could tell it was a Mark VI roller motor (stock).
Found the old owner of the last time it was titled and he helped me with a title issue.
He bought the truck prolly 20 years ago. Had a 454 transplant already. But tired and leaky motor.
His buddy with a landscaping company had a late 90s 1 ton dump. That truck blew the engine and guy got a new GM crate motor out in at the dealer. Shortly after he junked the truck and sold the motor to my guy.
Guy estimates that the motor may have 20k miles on it when he got rid of it. And I’m pretty sure it got very few miles after he traded it in, based on the rest of the supposed history between that guy and the guy I bought it from.
Another bonus!

It’s no powerhouse but it’ll get out of its own way. And it’s clean, not leaky and big enough to make nice noises out the twice pipes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
REALLY like the truck, not a fan of all that white tho. Maybe if they were black??? My 86 C20 2wd had white wheels and caps.

I remember that exact truck heading down the highway when it was new with a 6.2 Diesel, man that was the ruck I wanted!!!

I remember riding with a friend in his brand new 84 K30 SRW 4wd crew cab 6.2 going to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the engine threw a rod and put us on the side of the road. I remember the truck had ~800 miles on it.

6.2 not great but 6.5 really bad!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
REALLY like the truck, not a fan of all that white tho. Maybe if they were black??? My 86 C20 2wd had white wheels and caps.

I remember that exact truck heading down the highway when it was new with a 6.2 Diesel, man that was the ruck I wanted!!!

I remember riding with a friend in his brand new 84 K30 SRW 4wd crew cab 6.2 going to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the engine threw a rod and put us on the side of the road. I remember the truck had ~800 miles on it.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ssthrd wrote:
Yeah, but will it smoke a '67 GTO? Haha!

Love 'em both...............

That car? Bet they’d be pretty close. But I’d rather have a goat…