cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take our RV to Colorado or Store It?

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
We are wrapping up work here in AZ and getting ready to head to Montrose, Co. We are renting a cabin for 4 months just east of Montrose. We are full timers and looking to store the RV in montrose while we rent. Our route would likely be phx to flagstaff to Mexican hat to Moab to grand junction to Montrose to avoid difficult mountain passes through telluride which is our normal summertime route.

Here’s the dilemma though. We could leave the rv in AZ and just pull a small 5x8 box trailer with our stuff. I’m apprehensive to push through with the RV (leaving this Thursday the 23rd).

Wanted to get some thoughts. Our RV is 19k lbs, 43ft, 5th wheel and our truck is a ram 3500 dually diesel 4x4. Our tires are Michelin MS2 with about 30% remaining tread. Weather looks ok unril Tuesday the 31st. Although temps will rarely be above freezing through the entire route.

The downside to leaving the RV is we will have to drive back to AZ in may to haul the rv back to Colorado where we hang out for the summer. Also, if we forget something … in montrose we would have access to our “home” in storage.

Thanks all,

Kirk
4 REPLIES 4

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
folivier wrote:
What about leaving it in Cortez? That would get it closer but not yet in the mountains.
Hurry back, the snow's great!

Neighbor!

Thought about it. But if I take it through flagstaff might as well keep going to montrose. Roads look ok but not great, yet, along our planned route. Not for our size and weight.

And we can’t wait to get back honestly. Phx is driving us nuts. Too many people. Too much sprawl.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
What about leaving it in Cortez? That would get it closer but not yet in the mountains.
Hurry back, the snow's great!

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
With current weather and our national weather-guy predicting a major snow event in the Rockies/midwest I'd think hard about whether to take it. He is generally calling for a cold and snowy February start anyway out there with a break for Cali. Normally I would not think about leaving ours.

You pretty much summarized what my gut is telling me. But I tend to be borderline paranoid. So great to get some feedback.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
With current weather and our national weather-guy predicting a major snow event in the Rockies/midwest I'd think hard about whether to take it. He is generally calling for a cold and snowy February start anyway out there with a break for Cali. Normally I would not think about leaving ours.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper