cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside Assistance

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam or FMCA for roadside assistance?
11 REPLIES 11

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
After two fails many years ago with GS, I switched to Coach-Net. Only used them once to tow the Allegro and the service was exceptional. I bet Coach-Net pays the towing company more than GS.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had GS RSS for 13-14 years. Most times I used them for my motorcycle or daily driver more than my motor home. Well that all changed last year when I grounded my MH, at first I needed a tow truck to lift it off the inclined road I turned onto not noticing the grade, but I canceled the service call because I was able to free my rig using the leveling jacks. But, we were towing our Kia on our dolly and when it rains it pours. I couldn't get the ignition switch to turn on the car to back off of the dolly. Finally, with help from passersby, we were able to get the car to the side of the road on a busy narrow touristy area lakeside road.

So another call back to GS. To shorten the story, after numerous calls and after several lies by GS that a tow truck/flatbed was on the way, we waited 18 hours for a tow that never appeared. I realized I had towing also with my auto insurance, called them, and within 2 hours the car was en route to the closest KIA dealer costing me $50 less for the increased distance tow (38 miles) than GSs price.

Later the same day a GS supervisor called to check on my service. I told her I felt sorry for her having to represent a company such as Good Sam RS.

When we got home I checked on my Progressive RV insurance policy for RSS, added the extra rider to my policy for $19 for the year, and then called Good Sam to cancel my policy with them and request a refund and the balance.

As an aside several times I've talked to tow truck operators asking about GS vs Coachnet. All raved about CN with a couple telling me if GS and CN called for service at the same time they would service the Coachnet call before GS and day.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldave wrote:
Quote: They pay the providers, the guy with the truck you depend on, a discounted rate.

Here's one I hope they pay a discounted rate. $35,000 tow is crazy

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/5776-tow-costs-after-an-accident-35000/#comment-55192

HP would not allow him to call his contract provider, so he would pay for what can't use, plus tow bill?

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good Sam. Used 4 times with no complaints.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Good Sam for years and after 2 fails I am switching to FMCA. The last one they kept telling me that the unlimited mileage on my Platinum plan was only 30 miles then changed that to 20. The first time I waited 4 1/2 hours for a tow on C470 in the Denver area.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both, no problem with either one.
2014 American Eagle

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: They pay the providers, the guy with the truck you depend on, a discounted rate.

Here's one I hope they pay a discounted rate. $35,000 tow is crazy

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/5776-tow-costs-after-an-accident-35000/#comment-55192

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had any kind of roadside service insurance. Now for years, I have had tow/service reimbursement as part of my auto insurance.
Also, for short times early '70s and again early '80s I worked with/for companies that had contracts with AAA. So my ideas may be distorted.
For the insurance company to make money they must charge more than pay out. This happens 2 ways; First, most people pay in for years, don't need service. And 2nd, and something the customer should look at; They pay the providers, the guy with truck you depend on, a discounted rate. This means if I have a choice of 2 calls, 1 where I will be paid full price as soon as I'm done, or the 1 where I get less money, and need to wait until sometime next month to get it.
I know it is hard for many, but if instead of paying premiums for a separate policy, save that money pay for service as needed. Check for the tow part of comprehensive insurance.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-net.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have GS and have for more years than I can remember. I have used them a few times for tire changes and one stupid one of running out of diesel.

I truely believe there are pros and cons to both of the ones you mentioned along with the others. There are only so many tow trucks in a given area so you know they all respond to each service.

I can not say what FMCA policy is as far as towing goes. I feel GS towing policy is one of the best.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we always had GS. used it several times, no complaimts.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle