cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Relationship between jacks and slides?

dedmiston
In most regards I feel like a captain who knows every inch of his ship and knows what sounds it should make and can intuitively tell when something's awry. But there's one system that I just can't understand, and that's the relationship between my slides and my jacks.

I had a blowout almost two years ago, and the flapping of the tire shreds severed one of the hydraulic lines to my Lippert 6-point jacks. I changed the tire and made it the rest of the way home. When it was time to unhitch, it dawned on me that the line had been severed and it was just bleeding fluid instead of deploying the jacks. So I kinked the line, tied it off with zip ties, and added more fluid to the reservoir so I could get the jacks down and unhitch the trailer at the storage yard and go home.

This was the beginning of the end of the motor that runs the jacks and the slides. From then on the motor was weak and strained. And worse, it would intermittently fail and just make a "clunk" sound of the solenoid instead of running the motor. It finally died completely before we were supposed to leave for our New Year's trip, but I finally got the parts to fix it.

Yesterday I replaced the motor and everything works fine again. Yay.

I wasn't even positive that the problem was the motor until I replaced it, but I was certain it was the motor the moment I removed the old one. I've never smelled something so fried before. Worse than Satan's armpits. I left the old motor on my tailgate while I was working on it, but I could smell the stench of the burned out grease standing by my front bumper.

<<--- Satan's armpits (or worse)

So my question to the world is... What does this motor have to do with my slides?

It's obvious to me how it operates the jacks: The motor turns, either pumps or sucks fluid through the lines to deploy or retract the jacks, and the fluid visibly rises or falls in the reservoir like a high or low tide.

But running the slides in and out has no effect on the fluid in the reservoir. I suppose I should put my finger up there on top to feel if the motor even spins while deploying the slides, except my arms aren't long enough to control the slides inside the coach and fool with the motor at the same time.

I just can't for the life of me envision the relationship between the two systems. It makes no sense to me why that dead motor would kill the slides too.

What am I missing? Someone please enlighten me.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
17 REPLIES 17

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Edit:

Motor/pump... just confused .... ๐Ÿ™‚

What I was trying to say... Motor/pump possibly fried from low voltage causing higher amp draw.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
That makes sense for how the motor fried.

I'm still having a hard time visualizing the role of the hydraulic fluid in a rack and pinion system. It looks like the motor turns the pinion that moves the slides in and out.

The belly is inclosed and there's a limit to what I can see from the outside, but I still feel like I need someone to whiteboard the whole thing out for me.
Now I cannot say they all are like this, but my rack and pinion kitchen and living room slides are pushed out directly by the hydraulic cylinders, the rack and pinion keeps both sides moving equally, as there is just one hydraulic cylinder pushing the slide out. The rack and pinion do no actual work, they just keep things aligned. That's how mine work anyway.

This ^^^^
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gosh guys, thank you very much. Not a problem, I'm used to people questioning my answers, only they usually use much worse language, and end up talking bad about my mama. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, we do go back a ways.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
MFL wrote:
You may get better response by posting in the tech section?

Ugh. Those guys are mean. Even the simplest question turns into a wiener measuring contest with that group. Not interested.

Lol..lots of chest thumpers over there for sure!:B

My good buddy Howard, above, is a great source of reliable info, that I would trust!

We go way back. He's one of the OG guys from back in the heydays of the Toy Hauler forum. Those were good times.

Hey Howard - I hope you don't take my "questioning" as "doubting". I'm just trying to wrap my head around one of the few systems in our rig that I don't understand. That and the crank-up TV antenna. Logically I know which direction I'm supposed to point it, but empirically my results say to point it 90 degrees the other way.

Anyway, I agree with you Jerry that Howard is worth listening to.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:
MFL wrote:

Ugh. Those guys are mean. Even the simplest question turns into a wiener measuring contest with that group. Not interested.

Lol..lots of chest thumpers over there for sure!:B

My good buddy Howard, above, is a great source of reliable info, that I would trust!

dedmiston
MFL wrote:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

I'm still having a hard time visualizing the role of the hydraulic fluid in a rack and pinion system. It looks like the motor turns the pinion that moves the slides in and out.

The belly is inclosed and there's a limit to what I can see from the outside, but I still feel like I need someone to whiteboard the whole thing out for me.
Now I cannot say they all are like this, but my rack and pinion kitchen and living room slides are pushed out directly by the hydraulic cylinders, the rack and pinion keeps both sides moving equally, as there is just one hydraulic cylinder pushing the slide out. The rack and pinion do no actual work, they just keep things aligned. That's how mine work anyway.

This just keeps getting interestinger and interestinger. That makes a lot of sense though. Thanks.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know and understand my rack and pinion electric slide system, but not the sharpest tack, on the several other types. ๐Ÿ™‚

Is it possible that your system is hydraulic jacks, but slides are simply operated by the electric motor? You did say the fluid level does not change, while moving the slides.

Jerry

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Your original problem is because the hydraulic fluid is used to lube the bearings in the pump. A common practice on construction equipment.

Very low fluid = cooked bearings.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Is the fluid for the slides just recirculating then? Why isn't the level in the reservoir affected when I run the slides in and out like it is with the jacks?

Likely, the level varies with jack deployment because they are pressure out (oil pumped into the jack cylinder), lowering oil in the reservoir; and spring return, raising the oil level. Slides are double-acting cylinders - (oil s pumped into one end to deploy, while the oil is pushed from the other end of that cylinder; opposit for retract. Thus the oil level does not change for the slides.
Slide Cylinders are like this
2014 Allegro 36LA

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I'm going to have to bust out a sharpie to mark the reservoir and check your work. :B
LOL I can tell you, our last 5th wheel had just the hydraulic slides, and the level did raise and lower. But all three slides were hydraulic.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
I'm going to have to bust out a sharpie to mark the reservoir and check your work. :B

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230