Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VanleighRe-sealing the nose of a fifth wheel

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

I have a 2020 vanleigh and would like to reseal the nose without getting on the roof, anyone got a quick step guide tips.
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
12 REPLIES 12

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Craig will check the roof and front seal then finally eternabond
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Eterna bond recommends a coating over it. I don't like the crappy way the mfgrs seal things... by caulking OVER edges AFTER things are screwed down. I removed all screws and cleaned under the overlaps, caulked, and then shot the screws back in. Then eternabond and roof coating over everything on the roof.
It took the first 5 months of 2019 and I did ALL the other lap joint on my 5er, windows, roof lights and fans and bottom skirting, by cleaning and caulking under every joint. I dare anything to leak! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Will do , if putting eterna bond on the existing strip and sealant once cleaned do I need to put lap seal over that, this is a 2020 model
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
To check the front cap roof top, someone has to get on the roof, and inspect very closely.

DITTO.
You can't reseal the nose cap / roof seam until you get on the roof.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Craig how is the eterna bond tape to install did you use lap seal over it
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I did my front and rear seams from step and extension ladders. I removed the gutter spouts and pulled back the side trim a little bit so I could find any problems and fix/seal things right. Have some eternabond tape and caulk, NOT the self-leveling, ready. I also increased the dia. and length of the screws, so they gripped better. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will need to get somebody up there to look at where the edge of that front cap meets the roof. Look at your first picture. The front cap is higher than the roof. Probably about 1/2 of an inch. That will be sealed with self leveling caulking. If something wasn't done completely correct at the factory, you may need to remove some of the old and apply new self level or eternabond tape. The roof slopes forward into that seam. The water obviously follows the slope to the "dam" created by the raised front cap.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but to really do any good on trying to get the leak fixed, someone needs to get up on top and check the roof to cap seal as the clearance lights. Water will run downhill to the lowest point to become apparent. So, your leak can be some distance away from the indication.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Clearance lights are sunken types, I was thinking the corners near the gutter to tease first
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
To check the front cap roof top, someone has to get on the roof, and inspect very closely. Most newer roofs are rounded, so even if the leak is near the driver side, it could originate from center of roof.

Another possible source, for a leak, in that area, would be the clearance lights. If water sets in the cutout for them, during hard rain, it could reach the hole the wires come through, behind the lights.

If you are not comfortable getting on the roof, I'd suggest having someone else check for you.

Jerry

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305