cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cassiar Highway

magbrin
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to take this route when we drive from Seattle to Alaska in May, spending 4 - 5 days travelling, and stopping for hikes along the Cassiar Highway. We are from UK, and my question relates to satellite communicators/phones. We, at home, have a Spot (with no messaging facility) for emergencies, but we are following our RV trip with a cruise, and the cruise line states clearly that this would not be allowed on the ship. Our preference would be for a two way communicator or phone, and I am looking for recommendations of somewhere we could rent one in Seattle and return it in Anchorage. Any help would be much appreciated!
19 REPLIES 19

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
magbrin wrote:
SteveAE wrote:
I can't speak to the cruise line rules.....though how would they know?

However, if you haven't already bought a SPOT, take a look at In-Reach.
Worldwide two way texting and email on the Iridium constellation for a reasonable price (IMO).

As far as renting one, not sure if they do, but try REI. They have stores in both Seattle and Anchorage

Thanks for this. I have checked the REI website, but unfortunately I don't think they rent them out.

I just did a quick internet search and found several companies that rent satellite phones. They ship them to you and you send it back when you are done so your starting and ending locations shouldn't matter. Probably more convenient than trying to find a store at both ends. Didn't look any further into it than that, but maybe that would work for you?
Safe travels.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
magbrin wrote:
Hi, all
I have to admit I am disappointed. I do not expect to be questioned about decisions I have made regarding my travels. I was looking for an answer to my original post : " Our preference would be for a two way communicator or phone, and I am looking for recommendations of somewhere we could rent one in Seattle and return it in Anchorage. Any help would be much appreciated! " In the answers I have received only one has made a suggestion!
All the best to you all.

Not questioning your decisions, just trying to figure out what the problem is.

You can certainly take a cell phone and cruise ships certainly have wifi (not cheap or fast but they have it).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't cruise ships have Wifi? I took an Alaska cruise and had no issues with cell service in every port and Wifi on the boat.

What are you trying to accomplish that your cell phone can't do?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a job for a 'burner' phone. Far cheaper than renting anything.

https://www.howtogeek.com/712588/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
magbrin wrote:
Hi, all
I have to admit I am disappointed. I do not expect to be questioned about decisions I have made regarding my travels. I was looking for an answer to my original post : " Our preference would be for a two way communicator or phone, and I am looking for recommendations of somewhere we could rent one in Seattle and return it in Anchorage. Any help would be much appreciated! " In the answers I have received only one has made a suggestion!
All the best to you all.

so if you realy wanted info on where to rent somthing in seattle and return it in alaska, why did you ask it in the canadian subform where we all wouldnt have a clue. realy you can be disapointed all you want, but maybe ask in the right forum so you won't be disapointed.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

magbrin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all
All the best to you all.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
magbrin wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
How would the cruise line know if you had a spot? Can you share a link to the prohibition because I'm betting you are misunderstanding something.

Probably wouldn't have worked folks up if you had been clear about the 4-5 days only including the 450mile stretch (not Seattle to the cruise port in Alaska as your post seems to imply) because I had the same thought, particularly since you indicated you are from the UK and lots of overseas folks have no concept of how big the USA & Canada are.

As I say, I apologise for the misunderstanding.
In its list of prohibited items Princess cruises include sattelite beacons, and my husband checked with our personal advisor who checked with the cruise line who stated that no satellite beacons or communicators are allowed on board. I assume that they would pick it up on a baggage scan.

I'm still wanting to see the actual unedited statement from the cruise line. No idea what your "personal advisor" is (travel agent?) or where he is getting his information or if he is misunderstanding what the cruise line requirements are.

I mean, you could argue a cell phone qualifies as it picks up GPS satellite signals and I don't see them banning cell phones any time soon.

I'm still betting on it being a misunderstanding.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:

From Stewart itโ€™s still 1,400 miles to the Canada / Alaska boarder at Beaver Creek.

I think your mixing up miles with KM. it is 1400km which is a 14+ hour drive between stewart and beaver creek.

Oopsโ€ฆ :S
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
SideHillSoup wrote:

From Stewart itโ€™s still 1,400 miles to the Canada / Alaska boarder at Beaver Creek.

I think your mixing up miles with KM. it is 1400km which is a 14+ hour drive between stewart and beaver creek.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about my misunderstanding on your postโ€ฆ

As for the spot and garmin, itโ€™s most likely has something to do with the SOS feature, as it could be triggered accidentally, not easily but it can.
I know around here were I live the BC Mountains, S.A.Rโ€™s. ( Search and Rescue) are getting a bunch of false alarm SOS notifications from Apple Wrist Watches after people who are wearing them fall down skiing/ snowboarding and snowmobiling. There is some feature on the phone that activates an SOS type alarm when there is sudden impact or something, not sure if the feature, but it can be disabled on the watches.
Iโ€™m betting people with SPOTโ€™s have activated the SOS feature by mistake on a few cruise ships which send a whole bunch of people running around trying to figure out whatโ€™s what, and when a SOS signal comes in and the location is out as seaโ€ฆ there would be planes choppers and ships moving before they found out it was a false alarm.
Last weekend we had the areaโ€™s SARโ€™s team up practicing / training in our snowmobile area with Avalanche Beaconโ€™s and that exact subject came up about the watches.
They said that SARโ€™s have to go out and check every time one is activated just like a โ€œhang upโ€ 911 call.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that the Spot is on the no no list. The In Reach Explorer I carry has been through many countries, but always on airplanes. When asked I say it is a GPS, which is true. I don't even think about its sat texting and emergency beacon features, although when on a trip I also send at least one text a day. Thinking though, it has been on the Newfoundland ferry a couple of times.

Also, if you are headed for the bush before or after your trip, it would stink not to be able to bring your Spot.

Maybe ask again, and ask why? Perhaps it can be left with the Purser.

magbrin
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
I can't speak to the cruise line rules.....though how would they know?

However, if you haven't already bought a SPOT, take a look at In-Reach.
Worldwide two way texting and email on the Iridium constellation for a reasonable price (IMO).

As far as renting one, not sure if they do, but try REI. They have stores in both Seattle and Anchorage

Thanks for this. I have checked the REI website, but unfortunately I don't think they rent them out.

magbrin
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
How would the cruise line know if you had a spot? Can you share a link to the prohibition because I'm betting you are misunderstanding something.

Probably wouldn't have worked folks up if you had been clear about the 4-5 days only including the 450mile stretch (not Seattle to the cruise port in Alaska as your post seems to imply) because I had the same thought, particularly since you indicated you are from the UK and lots of overseas folks have no concept of how big the USA & Canada are.

As I say, I apologise for the misunderstanding.
In its list of prohibited items Princess cruises include sattelite beacons, and my husband checked with our personal advisor who checked with the cruise line who stated that no satellite beacons or communicators are allowed on board. I assume that they would pick it up on a baggage scan.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'