cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have low beams on when high beams engaged? Relay?

nehuge
Explorer
Explorer
1995 Ford F53 chassis, came with the old square sealed beams.

Converting it to a 9005 and 9006 setup. Did a three relay setup, one is low beam relay, other is high beam relay, and the third is a holdover relay. It is supposed to keep the low beams on at the same time the high beams are on when HIGH beams are called for. I don't want all four on at all times.

On the Ford wiper stalk, I push it forward until it clicks and it turns on the high beams and the low beams turn off. When I bring the stalk back to center position/neutral, the high beams go off and the low beams come back on. When I pull the stalk towards me to flash, the low beams go off, the high beams flash, and letting it flick back to neutral makes the high beams go off and the low beams go back to normal. This is cool that something is working, but still no low beams coming on with the high beams together at the same time.

Here is my setup:

The vehicle has three wires that used to go to the sealed beam types with a three port female plug and the sealed beams had the male 3 prong connector; Now with the 9005 and 9006 housings, the Low Beam wire, High Beam Wire, and Ground wire that come from the headlight switch from Ford now go to three relays. I have three five pin relays (with two pin 87's on each, not an 87 and an 87a like you'd see on others.) A Low Beam relay, High Beam relay, and Hold-Over relay.

All three relays have pigtail connectors connected to them so I have decent length wires to tie together instead of having to crimp ends and slide them on the relays pin's directly.

The colors on the pigtail wires coming from the relays' pins are:

Red from pin 30

Black from pin 85 ground

White from pin 86

Yellow from center pin 87

Blue from outer pin 87

- The low beam wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the Low Beam relay as well as the Blue pigtail wire from pin 87 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total)

- The high beam wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the High Beam relay as well as the White pigtail wire from pin 86 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total).

- The ground wire from the vehicle's headlight switch connects with the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the Low Beam Relay, as well as the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the High Beam Relay, as well as the Black pigtail wire from pin 85 of the Holdover Relay. (3 wires connected total)

- The Red pigtail wires from pin 30 on all three relays' are all connected via a fused link directly to the battery. (Three red wires going directly to post on battery). The fuses are good, (tested with multimeter) and have continuity all the way through.

- The Yellow pigtail wire from the central pin 87 on the Low Beam Relay connects to one side of the passenger 9006 low beam bulb.

- The Blue pigtail wire from the outer pin 87 on the Low Beam Relay connects to one side of the driver 9006 low beam bulb.

- The Yellow pigtail wire from the central pin 87 on the High Beam Relay connects to one side of the passenger 9005 high beam bulb.

- The Blue pigtail wire from the outer pin 87 on the High Beam Relay connects to one side of the driver 9005 high beam bulb.

- The ground wire from all four bulbs are currently tied together and all connected to the negative post on the battery.

Does this all look right? I'm at a loss as to why no low beam and high beam together when I put the brights on. Perhaps something to do with the Ford multifunction stalk that pushes, pulls, and sits neutral? Or maybe a high beam low beam relay attached to it from Ford under the dash?

I'd like us to see well and be safe on side roads where no one is out there and wanted all four bulbs on at once when I enable high beams.

Dave
6 REPLIES 6

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The reason they turn off the low beams with the high beams has to do with how much light is emitted from the front of a vehicle. But for those of us that can actually drive and pay attention we turn off the high beams with in coming traffic or over taking another vehicle. So we donโ€™t blind other drivers.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I modded my 2012 high beam switch to do this. As well as I bypassed the fog lamp shutoff relay. So now all the headlamps can be in at the same time. And being all LED now the amp draw is about the same as it was with just 2 halogens.

Too bad Dodge makes that so much more difficult than Ford or GM in general.
All 4 on and factory fogs/driving lights is so nice when in rural areas where big animals jump in front of you at 4am!

yup my ford I just went into the computer and enables fog lights on with highbeams and changed my day time running lights to my amber running lights.. easy as heck.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
I modded my 2012 high beam switch to do this. As well as I bypassed the fog lamp shutoff relay. So now all the headlamps can be in at the same time. And being all LED now the amp draw is about the same as it was with just 2 halogens.

Too bad Dodge makes that so much more difficult than Ford or GM in general.
All 4 on and factory fogs/driving lights is so nice when in rural areas where big animals jump in front of you at 4am!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
no usaly they change, there is siring mess arounds you can do that will leep them both on but I wouldnt if you don't need to .
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Consider a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) relay for the high beams. Then you hook the headlight high switch to activate the relay and both high and low beams are controlled. Picture #2 on the amazon link shows the wiring. But basically I would wire it like below.

steering wheel headlight switch high beam
0 is 12v +
1 is ground

6 is 12v+ to low beam bulb
7 is left open
8 is 12v+ from battery

2 is 12v+ to high beam headlight
4 is 12v + from battery
3 is open

Amazon

The picture below is the relay for high beam only. The top light bulb is the low beam bulb and the bottom light bulb is high beam bulb. The dual relay just turns them both on at the same time.

I did not show the low beam only relay as it sounds like you already have that one figured out. But to be sure, the low beams would just be a separate relay (not pictured) off the headlight switch.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup