cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO WF8955PEC

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will this charge lithium with out me doing nuttin ? The manual sez it will but does not say if any mods required . While I got ya here , if I wanted 200 amps lithium would ya buy a 200 or 2 separate 100s ?
6 REPLIES 6

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
. . . if I wanted 200 amps lithium would ya buy a 200 or 2 separate 100s ?
It's important to know that 100ah and 100a are two very different ratings.

Following assumes your system will be operating on 12vdc.

If you purchase two 100ah 12v lifepo4 batteries, make sure they can *each* produce 100a of continuous current. Wired in parallel, this will enable you to produce 200a of total continuous current, enough to power a microwave.

A similar caution applies to a single 200ah lifepo4 battery. Make sure it's capable of producing 200a of continuous current. Some 200ah lifepo4 batteries are only capable of 100a of continuous current. 100a of continuous current is not enough to power a microwave---200a is.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
for 600 bucks I can get 4 times the usable power . .
and no watering, gassing, absorb time or corrosion.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply , I gotta think for awhile before I spend the money ! My 2 current six volts are over 5 years old and we are gonna take a 4 month trip this summer . Replacing the 2 6 volts will cost near three hundred bucks , for 600 bucks I can get 4 times the usable power . Lithiums can go inside the crawl thru , I think ? I must talk to da boss , she has been telling me what to do for 51 years .

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
Will this (WFCO WF8955PEC) charge lithium with out me doing nuttin ? The manual sez it will but does not say if any mods required . While I got ya here , if I wanted 200 amps lithium would ya buy a 200 or 2 separate 100s ?
Yes it will charge fine. May short charge a bit (90%-95%) if it sticks at 13.6 volts. No harm in a short charge and may live a bit longer for it. Still way more usable capacity than FLA.

200 vs 2x100 is a bit tricky. Generally I would say save the money and space to get the single 200. However people periodically have issues with LFP and if one does not operate as expected hopefully the other would keep the RV going. If the future may want 400... maybe the single 200 now and add the second if still wanted or needed. Your call.

Please follow up with a trip report ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Apples to apples, paralleling 2 batteries or one battery to achieve the same capacity, no real difference performance wise.
Converter, WFCO, all of em, couldnโ€™t charge a 3 watt bulb! Not literally, but just get a quality converter when you make the change.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
Will this charge lithium with out me doing nuttin ? The manual sez it will but does not say if any mods required . While I got ya here , if I wanted 200 amps lithium would ya buy a 200 or 2 separate 100s ?

No it won't you need to replace the converter section of it, thisis an option.

for 1 or two batteries it depends on what you have for usage and how many amps the batteries will put out. 100amp batteries will usaly put out on average 100A, a 200AH battery could be anywhere between 100 and 200A discharge so if the 200AH battery will sustain 200A ouput then it is up to you which way you go and only the space is an issue. if it won't then you can get two 100AH batteries to get the 200a max output.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100