cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Stairs

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo F37RSQ and there are several areas of the entry steps that are compromised. I am holding them together with "band-aids". Has anyone replaced their stairs and what make and model did you use. I am leaning toward a similar type to OEM and not something that folds into the RV.

Thanks
57 REPLIES 57

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Like lots of things in the RV world, we all want improvements, but in the end we are seldom willing to pay for them.
In the end the OEM manufacturers keep feeding us junk because that's all we are willing to pay for.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelc wrote:
laknox:
To expensive compared to other brands. As I stated I tried some modified repairs to my old steps and they are holding just fine. Hope it continues. I can think of other things I can do with $700 than a flight of accordion stairs. Perhaps, the price will come down later, or another brand will allow me to purchase at a "reasonable" price.

"Reasonable" price is in the eye of the beholder I think. Went to the local RV show this weekend. Almost all of the units had the one piece design steps. While they where solid feeling they also we more narrow then the Glowsteps. I am not a fan of the price of the Glowsteps either. After much debate with myself, I finally let go of the money but didn't tell the wife how much I spent. She was very happy with the Glowsteps and while she didn't like the price either, she says she is glad I bought them. Should the OP'er decide to buy them I don't think they will regret that purchase in the long run. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox:
To expensive compared to other brands. As I stated I tried some modified repairs to my old steps and they are holding just fine. Hope it continues. I can think of other things I can do with $700 than a flight of accordion stairs. Perhaps, the price will come down later, or another brand will allow me to purchase at a "reasonable" price.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
joelc wrote:
I have a 2012 Carriage Cameo F37RSQ and there are several areas of the entry steps that are compromised. I am holding them together with "band-aids". Has anyone replaced their stairs and what make and model did you use. I am leaning toward a similar type to OEM and not something that folds into the RV.

Thanks

Look at replacing them with the Glowstep Revolution. Bolt-on installation and have adjustments at the bottom to give the stability of the solid steps.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my aluminum fold out steps for two reasons.
1st they were constantly squeaky. No matter how much or what type of lube I used the squeaking eventually came back.
They also were too flexy when trying to be quiet in the early morning while the wife was still sleeping.
Solid steps are dead silent and have zero bounce or flex.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
If one plans for all potential possibilities, one would sit at home, surround himself with pillows and do nothing. Don't forget that unlevel ground leading up to the steps, maybe we should only allow parking on concrete or other level surfaces. As I mentioned several times, solid steps may be necessary for mobility impaired individuals.

Just had my knee operated on last week. Honestly can say I have not wished for solid steps.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"We used to keep an aluminum jack stand to put under the bottom step to eliminate the diving board effect.

Unlike some claim, I've never seen one with 4 steps that doesn't suffer from the problem."

Come on over and you can experience the 4 step no "diving board" experience. It's a ya get what ya pay for thingy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Biggest complaint with conventional folding steps is the bounce you get when stepping on them. Many nickname them diving board steps"

This is because many manufacturers want "light and cheap". My 4 step deflects 1/2" with 200# on bottom step, not hardly "diving board" status.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one plans for all potential possibilities, one would sit at home, surround himself with pillows and do nothing. Don't forget that unlevel ground leading up to the steps, maybe we should only allow parking on concrete or other level surfaces. As I mentioned several times, solid steps may be necessary for mobility impaired individuals.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't understand the issue with a bit of "bounce", unless you're are mobility limited. An able bodied person shouldn't have any issues with the normal fold-out steps. I'm 73 and it is simply a non-issue.

I'm fine with a small amount of bounce but when a visiting friend fell...not so great. If you are single and anti-social, works fine. If you have friends who come in, it's not so great.

Good point, bounce or more pointedly stairs that move, even a little, are a potential serious safety issue much like a hand rail.
There are plenty of stairs in the world without hand rails that are not a big issue until someone falls because there was no handrail!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't understand the issue with a bit of "bounce", unless you're are mobility limited. An able bodied person shouldn't have any issues with the normal fold-out steps. I'm 73 and it is simply a non-issue.

I'm fine with a small amount of bounce but when a visiting friend fell...not so great. If you are single and anti-social, works fine. If you have friends who come in, it's not so great.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^^^^^Love those types of steps. You just fold them out, no messing with legs, or making sure the legs have enough room to deploy, like the solid legs.

We used to keep an aluminum jack stand to put under the bottom step to eliminate the diving board effect.

Unlike some claim, I've never seen one with 4 steps that doesn't suffer from the problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

It's not an issue for the person going up or down the stairs although I do like the feel of solid steps. My issue is the amount of movement felt by people inside the trailer when someone goes up or down the stairs. My 5th wheel has stabilizers, JT Strongarms etc. to dampen movement but those bouncing stairs were too much. No such movement once I went with the Glowsteps.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm thinking this "bounce" you speak of, may be coming from suspension and tires. If I have my rear jacks down, all is solid, including the steps. My weight about 175 lbs does not move my foldout steps enough to notice, while standing on edge of third step.

I like my steps. They are well designed, solid, and no-slip, and wait for it...are made by LCI.

Jerry