cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denver to Grand Rapids in February

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Denver CO on I-70 east, with a destination of southern Grand Rapids MI, where would be the best place to leave I-70 and what would be the best northbound four-line highways that avoid traffic around Chicago and/or other heavy traffic areas. What about available RV parks this time of year?
8 REPLIES 8

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
I 70- I 465- us31 - I 94 - us131. Approximately 5 stoplights, all divided highway

This ^^^

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know I-70 went through Nebraska.

You know: Nebraska spelled K-a-n-s-a-s.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
craig7h wrote:
I would stay on I70 until Indianapolis and then if you want to stay on 4 lanes take I69. Have driven both St. Louis and Indianapolis without any trouble as for big city driving.

Open RV parks in Nebraska may be hard to find. I believe Missouri has open parks along I70. I think its going to be one of those jobs of calling the parks to see if they are open.

Good Luck

I didn't know I-70 went through Nebraska.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Hedgehopper,

While I-70 is a pretty good choice for the run east, going north that close to the lake shore this time of year is always a risk. The truck under the TC may be 4WD, but that does not get you around the car that is stuck in front of you.

So, keep a close watch on the weather and maybe I-69 to Lansing is the choice, but you can save a lot of miles if the weather is nice and you go north farther west.

Best of luck

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I 70- I 465- us31 - I 94 - us131. Approximately 5 stoplights, all divided highway

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Consider taking the ferry from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Muskegon, Michigan.

This may help with places to stay:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Denver,+Colorado~Muskegon,+Michigan&query=routeSearch&routeDistance=25&r...

The ferry would be a great idea if it weren't February --- it doesn't resume operation until May
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I would stay on I70 until Indianapolis and then if you want to stay on 4 lanes take I69. Have driven both St. Louis and Indianapolis without any trouble as for big city driving.

Open RV parks in Nebraska may be hard to find. I believe Missouri has open parks along I70. I think its going to be one of those jobs of calling the parks to see if they are open.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Consider taking the ferry from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Muskegon, Michigan.

This may help with places to stay:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Denver,+Colorado~Muskegon,+Michigan&query=routeSearch&routeDistance=25&r...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.