cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aqua Hot leaking Boiler fluid

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
My 400D is leaking fluid out the 90 degree elbow of the exhaust. I've checked all the lines and can't find a leak anywhere. I'm wondering if I should pull the burner out and check there.

Called aqua hot and couldn't get anyone to offer any advise except buy a new unit.

I don't mind paying someone to look it over but I'm in a small town in west PA and don't really trust anyone here that I know. Would travel for an experienced tech. Not parts changer, I can do that myself. Any thoughts or suggestions. Unit has only been used 10 or 12 times. Was winterized properly.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
zb39 wrote:
I remember that thread, great read. I wish someone could find the other one about taking the boiler apart and fixing a loop that froze. I searched but could not find it. It was another great read.

Boiler tank cracks are extremely rare. The Hot Water loop is the most common failure(freeze damage) and also NOT a Aqua Hot replacement part. Aqua Hot states either return the complete unit for rebuild or buy a new unit. Doug

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I remember that thread, great read. I wish someone could find the other one about taking the boiler apart and fixing a loop that froze. I searched but could not find it. It was another great read.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Some readers may not know what the boiler looks like or have any idea what rebuilding one involves. It's a very big & daunting job. Here is a link to a thread with pictures.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/aquahot-in-pieces-436421.html

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago, when I had the same boiler tank type leak on a customer's unit, Aqua Hot stated this is the ONLY part that they do not sell. You either send unit in for them to rebuild or buy a new unit. That does not mean you can disassemble and have it welded locally. Which is what I would do If I had to do that. Doug

PS, 3 years ago just before Covid, Aqua Hot sent me a new 450D because the boiler tank had a leak under warranty.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I read the threads about rebuilding/welding there own. Very interesting. Thats what i was leaning towards doing. But at this point its not leaking at all. I'm going to let it go and continue using it, I'll wait and see what it does. If I need to do something in the future I will, fingers crossed.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know John, just heard that he is a good Hydronic heater man.
Things happen, and messages get misplaced or whatever.
Anyway, I looked at his website and he does have a phone # (970) 518-3085
If you are mechanically inclined and think you are up to wrestling the aqua-hot taking it out, replacing the boiler, and reinstalling you could save a wad of money. Actually over on IRV2 a couple of guys rebuilt their own boilers. Now those were interesting threads to follow.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for another idea besides stop leak. I sent 2 emails to heatmyRV a week before I posted on here. He never replied.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a ruptured boiler, that's not good. I have read on another forum of using a similar sealer called Iron Tite with excellent results.
If your sealer fails give it a try.https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB468913016

There is another Aqua-hot man called John Carillo https://www.heatmyrv.com/

I read the other day of an owner that John rebuilt his boiler and the owner reinstalled it saving thousands.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Update. Rudy is SUPER nice and very helpful. After putting air to the boiler I could see it was seeping into the burn chamber VERY slowly. Ruday and I discussed what it would take to try and weld this. Tons of work!! I elected to put it back together. It only leaks when I run the diesel boiler, it does not leak on electric. I have many ways to heat the coach. heat pumps and heated floors. I put it back together and added some BARS stop leak to the system. I then topped it off with boiler fluid and fired it up for 4 hours. It slowly sucked in another gallon of fluid. I did drain it some before I fired it up so there would be room for the stop leak. I never saw a drop in the 4 hours it ran. It ran hard to because I had all the zones on and it's cold here.
When it cooled down it brought the over flow tank to right in the middle between the hot line and the cold line. 2 days later it still has not leaked a drop. At this point, I feel pretty good about it. Only time and multiple uses will tell the complete story. Not sure when the coach will go out again but we will see.
Thanks again Rudy for all the GREAT advice and help. I enjoy working on most things and I learned some stuff about my unit. All good for now.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I took the burner out. Easy, only 2 bolts and fuel lines. Got a better look at drain pipe. Very wet around there. Took out combustion chamber and found some fluid in bottom. Will be putting 15lbs of air into it to see if I can locate leak. I'll update as I go. I'll keep going until I find something. I took pics but can't seem to post them.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Great talking to Rudy this am. Super helpful! I will do some checking and call you back.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Call Rudy he knows his stuff big time, he did some work on our monaco in 2020. Good to see your still working Rudy! Phil
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AquaHot so I am very interested in what you guys come up with.

BTW, I have heard good things about Rudy. I would definitely accept his offer to help.

Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
zb, call me between 8 and 8 central and I will help you sort this out. I am a Authorized Aqua Hot Service Center, so I have 14 years experience to call upon to assist you. But what you are describing does not sound like a minor repair. But a few questions will solve that.

You do not need a new heater and that expense. So call me and lets see what we can deterine.

Rudy Legett 7 one 3 8 one 8 3234
1995 Foretravel U320 40'
Cummins M11 400HP Allison 4060R