cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge in freezing weather

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
If I turn the refrigerator on when the temperature in the camper is 30F and I want the freezer colder and the refrigerator warmer, how's that going to happen?
7 REPLIES 7

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
JBarca

Thanks. I redid it and it seems to work now.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Some fridges have a switch that causes the light to stay on for cold weather use.

This thread has some excellent advice.

Hi piano,

Your link does not seem to want to fire off. Not sure if it is my setup or not. But it is no go.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pkug in a heater in the camper.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some fridges have a switch that causes the light to stay on for cold weather use.

This thread has some excellent advice.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I keep reading your question. I am unsure what you are asking or why. But I will provide this for an RV absorption fridge.

If the fridge compartment is at 30F and you turn the fridge on, not much will happen as the temp sensor in the fridge compartment is already at or below the setpoint. And as was stated, the freezer will not get any colder either, as it only adds a cooling effect when the fridge compartment calls for cooling. There is no separate control for the freezer; it just comes along for the ride, so to speak, when the fridge compartment requires cooling.

You can try this, it should work. Take an empty milk jug, fill it with warm water from the house, place it in the fridge compartment, and close the door with the fridge on. The heat energy in the jug will start warming the fridge compartment, and in time, the fridge will begin cooling. In your case, the fridge needs a heat load "inside it" to operate.

Also, be careful as if you want to go run the system at much colder temps, you need to deal with that situation. Some block off a portion of the lower outside vent and put an incandescent light bulb warming in the outside cabinet where the cooling coil is, or look for a cold weather kit. Research this out for your brand fridge, assuming you use an absorption fridge.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have wintered in our fifthwheel down to 7* with the high in the 20's, it operated as it should. The only thing I did was to put insulation around the bottom to cover the water line so the ice maker would work
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Leave the refer door open
2. There is NO temp control for the freezer
3. Last, you can't. Doug