cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CO/LP Detector

run100
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the CO/LP detector in our camper. The current unit is a Safe-T-Alert 70-742 and I'm having difficulty narrowing in on the proper replacement.

Have any of you replaced this same detector? If so, can you share the make & model you used?

Thank you!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S
11 REPLIES 11

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Used these for years...
I like the read out and they are battery operated. There are other Kiddie designs with the read out or not. I have 1 non readouts in my camper along with the read out one.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-KN-Copp-B-LPM/dp/B004Y6V5CI
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It appears at the MTI website that the 70 series with solenoid output is out of stock. This appears to be available but would require removing the solenoid at LP tank if equipped.
replacement

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

run100
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I believe that your original "70" series is the only one with a solenoid to cut gas flow. Check to make sure as there could be other series #'s out there that do that as well.

I think you're correct. Unfortunately, it looks like the 70 series is unavailable and some of the other series don't have the solenoid.

I got sidetracked yesterday because the truck batteries died. I spent time pulling them and cleaning the trays, connectors, brackets, etc. Repainted some of the parts too.

Also, good discussion on the characteristics of CO and LP.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
CO is lighter than air, but has to start somewhere. I think the primary source is likely the water heater, fridge, and generator. It's possible that it will come from above.

That being said, My TC has a CO monitor mounted high and propane sensor mounted low. Likewise, my fire alarm is mounted high.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ABC123ABC
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I'm confused on how these dual purpose units work, as CO is lighter than air is why my CO detector came mounted near the ceiling in my bedroom, but LP is heavier than air is why my LP detector came mounted near the floor just inside of the entrance door.
How does a dual unit read both, correctly if mounted in one spot.
No need to remind me how smart I'm not, I already know that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Best if a dual monitor is mounted close to the floor where propane will accumulate.

CO disperses equally so for that it doesn't matter where the monitor is unless it's a dual CO/smoke alarm.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The issue of placement for detectors seems to be a topic that will not die.

For the most rapid detection of propane, the detector should be mounted low near the floor. Propane is heavier than air and mixes relatively slowly.

CO mixes very rapidly with air and does not stratify like propane does. Hence the detector can in theory be placed at any height including near the floor as in a combination propane/CO detector.

Sadly the EPA bureaucrats made all of this worse. Years ago they decided that the optimum placement for a CO detector was head high, approximately 5' above the floor. This reg seems to have been motivated by the self importance of the EPA rather than based on any science. I do not know if this has been rescinded but they did decide that detectors should be placed in locations as specified by the manufacturer. The last time I checked my paperwork from Kidde they had no recommendation for height of placement. The big concern for either type of detector is to avoid dead spaces such as corners of a room.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm confused on how these dual purpose units work, as CO is lighter than air is why my CO detector came mounted near the ceiling in my bedroom, but LP is heavier than air is why my LP detector came mounted near the floor just inside of the entrance door.
How does a dual unit read both, correctly if mounted in one spot.
No need to remind me how smart I'm not, I already know that. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that your original "70" series is the only one with a solenoid to cut gas flow. Check to make sure as there could be other series #'s out there that do that as well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

ABC123ABC
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a low level CO detector and were surprise to learn the number of time CO is 20-40ppm.

Having a window open for venting condensation then the hot water tank would fire and the CO would be 30ppm for hours. With a campfire and the wind blowing the right direction with the door open the ppm would sit at 20ppm.

https://codetectors.com/co-experts-model-pg-2017-5-ultra-low-level-carbon-monoxide-health-monitor-pg-2017-5/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would replace in kind.
Amazon

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
They seem to have the exact model here. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dual-CO-LP-Gas-Alarm-p/66-8836.htm. Fyi, this isn't an endorsement, but at least they seem to be available.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member