cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to install stuff on walls

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to replace a shade with some mini blinds.

The real crux of my question is if there are any "nice, special fasteners that work well on RV walls".

I've done plenty of this in my "brick/stick" house, but in campers, seem to find all sorts of plane ole wood screws AND STRIPPED OUT HOLES! (YES, A LITTLE YELLING ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Please let me know if anyone is aware of "special fasteners" or tricks (or even good ole expanding fasteners...although there's not much space in an RV wall to insert that sort of thing.

PS- pretty sure that surface adhesive stuff is not the answer in this case.

THANKS!
6 REPLIES 6

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you are replacing shades you can likely fasten the blinds in the same location with screws. Windows normally have a frame around the perimeter that you can screw into.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe use a Stud Finder.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
When I hung mini blinds I cut a piece of paneling 2" wide by the length of the blind. Sand an area on the wall where the same size as the blind and glued it to the wall with contact cement. You only have one shot at getting it the right place. Then drill a pilot hole and mount the blinds. That gives you twice the thickness of paneling to screw into. Glue on the screws also helps hold.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
For blinds I think I would use screws, but coat them with either epoxy of wood glue. As you say wood screws do have a habit of stripping out and I have found the wood glue helps a lot.

For wall hangings generally we mainly use Command Strips and sometimes small pieces of Velcro. Put on correctly the Command strips don't fail very often - provided you use the correct size for the weight of the object being hung.

If you watch the 'Changing Lanes' videos on YouTube they are full-timers for the last 5 years and they swear by them - as do I.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried everything , what I have been doing successfully lately is pop rivets . You must know the thickness of your paneling and add the thickness of your piece that ya wanta hang , add em together , walk over to Ace Hardware and purchase correct length .

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Depending on the weight of the blinds Iโ€™d absolutely consider an adhesive option. If you can stick a large surface area.
Other wise, no, I wouldnโ€™t trust a molly to hold in luan or more specifically I wouldnโ€™t trust the luan to hold at the point loads or the paneling fasteners.
Find the framing is the best solution I think. Just like in a house.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold