cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kitchen stove fan "flap".

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
I have to replace the stove fan vent flap (or whatever it is called) on the exterior of the trailer which hinges at the top and is light enough to lift when the stove fan is activated and expels fumes/smoke/steam etc.

The flap and hinge pins are made of flimsy, cheap plastic and this is the second time I am having to replace the flapper (actually have had to replace the entire unit as they apparently don't sell just the flapper) due to the hinge pins breaking. The last time, I net-searched and made enquiries at the RV dealer parts department, trying to find a product which has a stronger (even metal) composition, with no success. The parts department was happy to sell me a replacement (exactly like the previous) unit, but offered no real assistance in finding a better solution.

I have the new unit sitting in my shop, waiting for spring time replacement, but thought in the meantime I would enquire if anyone knows of a better product.

Marv
16 REPLIES 16

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
My solution is similar to KimK-NY. I used a straight piece of brass rod found at hobby stores and cut it to the same length as the two pivot pins. Then I taped it to the flapper using aluminum duct-sealing tape. The result is a flapper with brass pins and a stiff brass edge along the top. It has been working fine for a decade or more.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also repaired a broken flap, using a small finishing nail and some JB Weld.
Benn holding up for a while now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
While on the subject of stove hoods, I found this mystery lever on my stove hood.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I repaired the replacement by using a piece of coat hanger as a substitute for the plastic hinge piece.

That worked for me also. Put a piece of white duck tape to hold the straight piece of wire coat hanger in place, and then epoxy to make the fix permanent.

The suggestions for a wire rod and Romex are also great ideas!

Cheers!
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went through 2 of those plastic pieces of **** before I found this, it's made of aluminum, I doubt the little tabs will fall off, a little pricey, but worth it. https://www.amazon.com/FUSION-Sports-Products-Fusion-Flapper/dp/B074LY81B1?pd_rd_w=741lc&content-id=...
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
14 gauge Romex works perfectly. Just pull the white wire from the bundle. Then glue it along the rib at the edge and stick about 1/4โ€ - 3/8โ€ past the end. You can even bend it slightly to install and it will straighten as you push up on the flap. Ours has been that way for 10 years.

Found a picture:

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The plastic hinge pin is what broke on mine. I fixed it by purchasing a 1/8-inch diameter carbon fiber rod from a hobby store.
I epoxied the rod to the length of the flapper edge in such a way that it replaced the hinge pin.
The flapper never came off after that.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
After I used my RV just a few times, the flapper broke. Just as you mentioned it was the thin plastic hinge pins that broke. Coincidentally I was near the manufacturer (Northstar) and stopped at the factory. The were accommodating and offered me a choice of the only two varieties they had available. The first choice was identical to what broke. Or I could opt for a similar unit that did not have a hinge. The flapper was held in place by a piece of tape that looked like duct tape. I opted for the original which soon broke.

I repaired the replacement by using a piece of coat hanger as a substitute for the plastic hinge piece.

Anyway the overall design is just appalling. Even worse, the flapper needs to be secured for travel or it will continue to flap and soon break. I have to stand on a stool to secure or release the travel tabs. Since that is a major nuisance and the exhaust fan on my range hood is extremely noisy, I gave up using it. Instead I try to use the fantastic fan on the ceiling to clear smoke and odors from cooking.

Perhaps there are better choices but I have not looked recently.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Still have the original on my 12 y.o. RV. No need for me to have a stronger one.

I occasionally have to latch it closed on a windy day or the banging noise will bother us,

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I put a rheostat on my fan because running at full blast it sucks heat from the stove. It doesn't matter what speed I run the fan, the RV still stinks up with cooking smell, and my vent flap sticks and has to be propped open.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The good news is you can paint it. You might try using Aerospace 303 UV protectant to slow the yellowing.

1320Fastback wrote:
I changed mine two years ago with one of of Amazon. It is already yellowing.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a new toy that's perfect for your needs. A 3-D printer.

You can get a decent one for 200 bucks (often on sale for half that I think Micro Center is pushing 'em at $99 off just now)

And you carefully draw the flapper or scan it (Another toy I don't have)
And print it using one of the higher temp tougher plastics.

I'm printing with PLA (Good to around 120 F then it gets soft) but it's way stronger than I expected it to be.

And you can make signs. and toys, and parts (I have a collection of plastic parts for selected RV devices) Cost to print a part is about 2-3 cents per Gram and stuff takes very few grams as it turns out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Your local heating and HVAC shop? Have one made out of aluminum?

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine two years ago with one of of Amazon. It is already yellowing.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler