cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to transfer large video from phone to computer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recorded a fairly large video on my Android cell phone last night. I would like to transfer it to my computer if possible. I have found the video on my phone but the file refuses to move from the phone location to my chosen spot in my computer. Why is that? Is there a way to do this?

On another note, is is possible to edit the video into smaller segments that will e-mail easily? I don't necessarily want to reduce the quality of the video if possible. They video is in Mp4 format.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I very seldom do this kind of thing with my phone or computer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
JBH, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I tried a different cable and the file transferred just fine. I didn't realize that there were different kinds of USB cables. I thought they all worked the same - at least that is how it has always worked for me until now.
Barney

Regarding the cable that did not work (I have a few like that that came with devices that do not "Eat" USB data (IE: My Bluetooth headsets)

Label them or mark them in some way and when using a public recharge jack... USE THEM..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MikeMorgan
Explorer
Explorer
Tired of wrestling with mammoth-sized videos on your phone? Here's the scoop on hassle-free transfers!

Step 1: Zap that video to your computer like magic! ???

But wait, there's more! Looking for a "double" dose of efficiency? Check out the fully managed open-source Apache Kafkaยฎ service at Double Cloud! It's like having your own personal video courier, delivering, storing, and processing your data in real-time!

Unlock the secret to seamless transfers with Double Cloud https://double.cloud/

Say goodbye to slow transfers and hello to fast, reliable data movement!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cable could also be bad, we come across them every so often. One time they'll work, but then they don't. Time to pitch them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
JBH, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I tried a different cable and the file transferred just fine. I didn't realize that there were different kinds of USB cables. I thought they all worked the same - at least that is how it has always worked for me until now.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Not all USB cables are data cables, so be sure you have one that's not simply for charging.

You probably need to select on one or both devices that the connection is for file transfer, not charging.
-jbh-

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your phone is an external USB disc drive.. Like a Thumb Drive.. Simply plug it in to the computer with the proper cable and file copy using File manager on the computer.

Open file manager
Click on This comuter or My comptuer

Find the phoen at the bottom of the quick links and navigate to the video folder or search for it by name
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
I wouldn't try emailing a video as a file attachment. Instead send a link to it from MS OneDrive or Google Drive instead.

One reason all my pictures are automatically uploaded to the cloud (iCloud that is) when WiFi is available.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get the video to your computer there is a basic cuts only video edit software called Avidemux. It's free and can be downloaded here:

https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Humm... I transfer photos, videos from my Android phone to my computer all the time.

Agree, you don't want to email anything that is more than 10mb in size...

but, once you find the file in the "DCIM" folder from your computer accessing the phone via a USB cable, it should just a 'copy' and then find the place on the computer you want to transfer to and then 'paste' it.

If it's a very large file, it might take a bit of time to transfer, but the file type should not really matter?

Anyway, good luck with it! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

I wouldn't try emailing a video as a file attachment. Instead send a link to it from MS OneDrive or Google Drive instead.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Try emailing it to yourself. You'll get an error message but it should allow you to upload it to the cloud and then download it to your computer using that link. Assuming you use gmail.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
There's a ton of google hits on this.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you are making the transfer with a USB cable you should have no problem. You will have to get your phone to give permission for the transfer with should cause a pop-up when you first connect with an Allow or Deny option. If that doesn't show up you need to look for something at the top showing USB options or in settings that will adjust what happens when you connect USB.