Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Mileage

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
The saying is “Fifth wheel tires don’t wear out, they age out.”

With that said I have Sailuns that are only 3yrs old that I’m about to replace because of wear; they only have ~37k miles on them 😞

I initially noticed a wear issue at less than 10k miles on edges of some of the tires. Had my 5er aligned, service owner said that wear issue might already be “baked in” on these tires so I’ve been watching. Today noticed the outside rib only (not mid, nor inside) was worn down to start telegraphing cords. Tires are loaded to ~3200lb each, rated at 4400lb and I’ve kept them to max inflation. Four other ribs have lots of tread left, but these two tires show the outside rib is gone (2 others were replaced along the way for nails).

Will put on another set of Sailuns and watch to see if I have similar wear patterns, or if the alignment resolved it and I get better mileage on the next set.

Still curious, for those that travel 10k miles+ each year with heavy 5er’s - what kind of tire life do you get?

Thanks
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
2 REPLIES 2

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm assuming when they checked alignment, they also checked for axles that were straight, and hadn't lost their camber.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rotate the to different locations and run them for a bit longer to verify if it isn't an alignment issue. If your bad tire is worn to far for safety, swap it out with the spare. You need to verify whether or not you have an issue before dropping money on a new set of tires that may get ruined shortly after installing them.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore