cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pantry Road Trips

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what we call those special places we find in our travels that offer tasty items for the pantry. I've been known to travel out of my way for good ingredients.

Marsh Hen Mill in Edisto, SC has some unique and tasty cornmeal and grits.

Are there places where you go to get your favorite pantry items?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

SkiBumAt50
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
There are a lot of things we pick up when we're in Central NY, unfortunately most of it never makes it to the pantry.

Salt Potatoes, Spiedies, Garbage Plates and City Chicken aren't really pantry items though are they?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep on loving Shipshewana.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Nv Guy wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I like to shop Amish markets. I can find spices of all kinds, all kinds of pantry items, including gluten free. When back in Indiana, I go to Shipshewana; there is one in Dayton, Virginia; the Berlin, Ohio, area, etc. I want to take a little day trip to Pinecraft since I'm in Florida now.

Dale

X2 for Shipshewana. The Amish markets are excellent. We have found some of the best pancake mix there. All sorts of spices and spice blends.

And don't forget Ben's Pretzels. Unlike any other and they just kind of melt in your mouth!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scottiemom wrote:
I like to shop Amish markets. I can find spices of all kinds, all kinds of pantry items, including gluten free. When back in Indiana, I go to Shipshewana; there is one in Dayton, Virginia; the Berlin, Ohio, area, etc. I want to take a little day trip to Pinecraft since I'm in Florida now.

Dale

X2 for Shipshewana. The Amish markets are excellent. We have found some of the best pancake mix there. All sorts of spices and spice blends.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of things we pick up when we're in Central NY, unfortunately most of it never makes it to the pantry.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We usually go to the Old Mill in Pigion Forge Tn. The have stone ground corn meal, and grits.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Anson Mills has been my go-to for years.

https://ansonmills.com/

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Nora Mill Granary in Helen, GA. is very much worth the stop.

Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/