cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SeeLevel tank monitor system

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I hate our empty, 1/3, 2/3 and full tank monitors (which frequently lie).
I'm looking at (and probably purchasing) the 4 tank level monitor made by Garnet Instruments. It will monitor our fresh, galley, gray and black tanks using external stick on sensors that read out in percent of full.
Does anyone have any experience with the Garnet Instruments SeeLevel tank monitors?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
18 REPLIES 18

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Your recall is likely correct, 3 tons. I assumed by the picture in the ads showing 78%, that they read in 1% increments.
Still way better than the OEM 4 LED units that read in 33.33% increments.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Another update. I previously stated our new SeeLevel gauges read in 1% increments.
That is false. While watching the fresh tank fill, the reading changes in 3 or 4% increments. Still way better than the old empty, 1/3, 2/3, full LEDs.

As I recall, itโ€™s that the increments themselves are within 1% accuracyโ€ฆ

3 tons

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I chose the standard and shortest sensors. Cut off 2 segments for the holding tanks and 3 segments for the fresh tank.
I think the longer sensors read in 5% increments.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Another update. I previously stated our new SeeLevel gauges read in 1% increments.
That is false. While watching the fresh tank fill, the reading changes in 3 or 4% increments. Still way better than the old empty, 1/3, 2/3, full LEDs.

Mine reads in 5%. one can somewhat "adjust" the increment by looking at the sensor spacing and number of discrete points for the tank. I picked mine intentionally to go in 5% increments which also gives good coverage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Update. Ordered the 4 tank monitor system without the water pump switch from RVUpgrades.com for $259. Installation is now complete and I couldn't be happier.
The newest version reads in 1% increments. I would have been happy with 5% increments since my OEM system was 33% increments (and frequently lied - the black tank sensor would read 1/3 full one day, then full the next day, then back to 1/3 the following day).

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Understood, ktmrfs. I measured the 2 tanks that are accessible behind the pass thru compartment. And I called Grand Design & got drawings & specs for all 4 tanks.
I will be ordering the 9" sensors, cutting 1" off the 3 holding tank sensors and 2" off the fresh tank sensor.
Also, I believe the new units read in 1% increments. The picture of the display unit shows 78%.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
I've done a little more research. There are 2 stick on sensors available and they are stackable. They work on tank height of 3.5" to 26". According to Grand Design, my 4 tank heights vary from 7.75" for the fresh tank to 8.75" for the 3 holding tanks.

The sensors can be trimmed with scissors to accommodate different height tanks. The manufacturer suggests a 1/2" gap at top and bottom of tank due to the extra thickness at those points.

one trick is to pick the optimal sensor, the ones that will give you a nice increment in level adequate for your needs. In my case I was able to pick a sensor length that gives me readout in 10% increments.

Since the system is reasonably spendy, before I ordered I'd open up the bottom and actually measure the tank height where you are going to install the sensors, likely near the existing sensors.

To close to the top and it won't read 100%, to far down and 100% won't be full. Trick is to tape them on and find a happy medium, in my case for the black/grey/galley one where 100% reading was really around 90%, was close to the top, but didn't want to push it more. And for the fresh where 10% still had enough for a quick shower, washing some dishes etc. Not low enough that at 10% I would risk running out of water.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I had SeeLevel gages installed on my DP and they weren't a bit better than the OEM gages. They were a waste of money.

Bill

Not better than OEM, really??โ€ฆ Perhaps your angst should be directed towards your installer??

3 tons

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I've done a little more research. There are 2 stick on sensors available and they are stackable. They work on tank height of 3.5" to 26". According to Grand Design, my 4 tank heights vary from 7.75" for the fresh tank to 8.75" for the 3 holding tanks.

The sensors can be trimmed with scissors to accommodate different height tanks. The manufacturer suggests a 1/2" gap at top and bottom of tank due to the extra thickness at those points.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I've had mine for over ten years. Works great. I can add about 5 gallons to the fresh water tank after it reads 100% and there are probably 5 gallons left after it says empty. The readings jump in 6% increments.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cptnvideo wrote:
I hate our empty, 1/3, 2/3 and full tank monitors (which frequently lie).
I'm looking at (and probably purchasing) the 4 tank level monitor made by Garnet Instruments. It will monitor our fresh, galley, gray and black tanks using external stick on sensors that read out in percent of full.
Does anyone have any experience with the Garnet Instruments SeeLevel tank monitors?

I know a few people who have them and they are the next "upgrade" project on my camper as it has no guages whats so ever and it drives me nuts having to guess when tanks are full haha. but ya out of the 4 or 5 people I know who have them, they all love them. there is the issue with weird shaped tanks but it isn't bad, for them the bottom filles faster but the top fills slower so it still works for them. the other issue is the inbetween hight tanks so where its to tall for one sender but to short for two, so they just skew it towards the top of the tank so they know when it is full. but I see they have a new sender out that looks like it addresses that issue. I'll have to see what else has changed.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had SeeLevel gages installed on my DP and they weren't a bit better than the OEM gages. They were a waste of money.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
yup, as I mentioned in a previous post, the only improvement I would like to see is a way to calibrate the meter for odd shaped tanks. e.g. typical grey/black tanks that have a slopped bottom. calibration assumes a rectangular tank, But then once you have used it a few times, you'll get familiar with it.

It is a well made, well thought out, solution to the factory sensor system.

There is another system (don't remember the name) that let's you do a calibration for odd tanks, but it's much more complex installation, doesn't use the typical facgtory wires, and is even more expensive.