cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend Good E-450 Dash AC Repair, SoCal

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q has a dash AC problem, the vacuum actuator is not working to divert cold air through the dashboard vents. This is caused by a leak in a vacuum hose that is located in the rear of the engine. There are a number of "band-aid" fixes to bypass the problem but I want the fix done right by an expert AC repair man. I am 84 and unable to do the work myself. If any of you have had the same problem and had it fixed by a good AC repair place, please give me a recommendation. I live near Disneyland.
9 REPLIES 9

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick summary of my experience with this. I went the route of bypassing the vac. accumulator and check valve with Ford OEM parts. Plenty of space to mount the new accumulator. and easy to replumb with new good vac hose. Not really mickey mouse at all. Just a bypass scheme well hidden by the dash panel.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
Fullerton Ford. Straight people. Carmenita not the same since Tom's took over.

Good to know. Years ago, (Carmenita Ford) if you had a larger Ford truck, was the best place in the LA/OC area. Thanks for the update.

Chum lee

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fullerton Ford. Straight people. Carmelita not the same since Tom's took over.

tomcat88
Explorer
Explorer
This is a problem on all E-150 thru E-450, the Ford dealer wanted $1500. to $2000.00 to fix my 04 E-450, So I check out some You tube videos and went to NAPA pick up some good rubber vacuum tubing and vacuum control valve for the AC, took me 45 minutes to do the repair. No I did not remove the right inner and outer fender, all of the dash like Ford would, only the grove box and dash cover under it. I was 77 when I did the repair,

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
The problem of no air/AC flow through dash vents is fairly common on older E-450 RV conversions. Plastic vacuum tubing hardens and cracks from engine heat and aging. Tubing should be replaced by good rubber tubing. There may a cracked vacuum tank, and other possible problems. I suspect that vacuum leak may cause a problem with smog test readings and general engine performance. It looks like later E-450 conversions use an accessible add-on electric vacuum pump to avoid this problem.

30sweeds
Explorer
Explorer
The "band-aid" fix I use is a permanent repair using all factory parts,replacing the failure prone poorly designed original setup.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Ichabod, Good idea, took rig to them for major servicing some time ago, will give them a call.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been going to a local garage for years to have my RV worked on.
Their work is outstanding and they do everything including A/C service.

Not cheap but everything comes with a 2 year warranty,you might give them a call and see what they say.

They are located in Bellflower, Ray A Motive
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming this is a 26' Class C MH on a Ford E-450 chassis, my first call would be to Tom's Truck Center. (formerly Carmenita Ford in Santa Fe Springs) They won't be the cheapest place in town and they may no longer work on Ford MH's that old, but the call is free and it's local to you. It's a place to start. Google is your friend.

Chum lee