cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Powered Engines Featuring a 7.3 Ford and 6.7 Cummins

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Propane equipment supplier to add propane to your gas engine. A couple of interesting points: This supplier claims engine factory performance is still maintained. That 6.7 cummins has a turbo which means that the gas powered version will also have a turbo. This has to be the first Cummins engine with spark plugs.

Sorry forgot to include link.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
23 REPLIES 23

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^Pro tip
If you’re going to use a cute “saying” it should be something generally recognized or understood by the audience.
And after looking up what you could have possibly meant by the saying, I still have no idea wth you’re talking aboot. However a small recommendation would be less googling for you.
That whole green M&M is kinda disturbing and weird and who cares….
Startin to worry about ya Scoob!

MFL wrote:
quote: "^Pro tip
If you’re going to use a cute “saying” it should be something generally recognized or understood by the audience."

Scoober hears his own drum beat. A bit different from normal. If you can understand his meaning... that is not a good thing!

I'm just glad he has recovered from his obsession of SNOT, that he mentioned in most posts. A step forward for sure...good for you Scoob!

Jerry

Sorry, trying to duck politics. Maybe I should of used Mr Potato Head or some children book that the same people that are telling you to set your hair on fire about gas stove wanted you to be mad about.
If the moderators will allow I will show you what I mean. Couple of years back 1 network was pushing a major story, and covered to some extent by all others. Now the network is being sued because of false statements made pushing that story. I don't know what is being said on that network, but it is widely reported the network people telling the story at the time are under oath, declaring they never believed what they said on air. It has been reported they demanded the 1 that told truth on air be fired for hurting stock price. One Email exchange, reported by BBC, discusses how the ideas a guest is pushing are totally outrageous, but the viewers are stupid enough to believe.
Pro Tip; do a search voting machine manufactures vs Fox.
Now the same group has reported some investigation into possible reduction of pollution from gas stove into THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE YOUR STOVE!
Critical thinking could solve a lot of issues.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
quote: "^Pro tip
If you’re going to use a cute “saying” it should be something generally recognized or understood by the audience."

Scoober hears his own drum beat. A bit different from normal. If you can understand his meaning... that is not a good thing!

I'm just glad he has recovered from his obsession of SNOT, that he mentioned in most posts. A step forward for sure...good for you Scoob!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Pro tip
If you’re going to use a cute “saying” it should be something generally recognized or understood by the audience.
And after looking up what you could have possibly meant by the saying, I still have no idea wth you’re talking aboot. However a small recommendation would be less googling for you.
That whole green M&M is kinda disturbing and weird and who cares….
Startin to worry about ya Scoob!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Latner wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Yes... But I think I would rather have this than a EV truck that maybe able to pull your camper ~100 miles at best. Plus these guys claim they're able to maintain factory power.

Dream on if you think the ----- types will let you have one of these. They are busy attacking gas stoves right now after all.

and washing machines

But at least we don't need to see the high heels on green M&Ms.

Many forklifts and other equipment that runs inside buildings use propane fueled ICE, because of reduced pollution

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I worked in that industry for awhile, so I have some experience.

Propane's biggest issue is the space required for the tank the seasonal price. If you have a fleet and have the space for your own refill station and have a HUGE tank, you can negotiate a good price during the off season.

Retail fills will kill you during the heating season !

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
"Cummins’ biggest embrace yet of a growing menu of low carbon fuels will be applied across their B Series, L Series and X Series engine lineup. Fuel choices will include diesel, natural gas, hydrogen, propane or gasoline. Once spec’d, engines will run on one fuel only.

The first engine expected to roll out in 2024 will be a 6.7-liter gasoline-ready option, which Cummins sees as a good fit for pickups and other vehicles needing “diesel-like durability and performance,” according to Cummins’ president of engine business Srikanth Padmanabhan"
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't forget the 6.7 cummins that was featured in the video is a propane only engine. This thing has spark plugs.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Let me say I'm no automotive engineer, I was going on posts like this:

ack of lubrication is a universal problem in the diesel world - older vehicles weren’t built to run on ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) and new vehicles are built with extremely tight tolerances, producing higher pressure and temperature, making the lack of lubricity possibility catastrophic. Every single diesel engine injection system relies on diesel fuel as a lubricant to protect and lubricate all the moving parts within the fuel system including injectors, in-line pumps and injection pumps. If the lubrication of the fuel isn’t good enough, the internal components begin to wear against themselves and can fail from excessive wear.

yes, before ULSD the fuel pumps relied on the sulphur for some lubrication. it was for the high pressure fuel pump, and injectors, not the valves.

However any diesel sold afer about 2005 is designed for ULSD
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Yes... But I think I would rather have this than a EV truck that maybe able to pull your camper ~100 miles at best. Plus these guys claim they're able to maintain factory power.

Dream on if you think the ----- types will let you have one of these. They are busy attacking gas stoves right now after all.

and washing machines

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me say I'm no automotive engineer, I was going on posts like this:

ack of lubrication is a universal problem in the diesel world - older vehicles weren’t built to run on ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) and new vehicles are built with extremely tight tolerances, producing higher pressure and temperature, making the lack of lubricity possibility catastrophic. Every single diesel engine injection system relies on diesel fuel as a lubricant to protect and lubricate all the moving parts within the fuel system including injectors, in-line pumps and injection pumps. If the lubrication of the fuel isn’t good enough, the internal components begin to wear against themselves and can fail from excessive wear.

2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
a spark ignition engine designed for propane operation is capable of high power output and efficiency, since propane like alcohol has a higher octane rating one can run much higher compression and much more spark advance.

Course it will use more gallons of fuel than gasoline due to the lower energy content, but it gains in thermal efficiency to partially offset.

Dual fuel engines another story, spark advance can be adjusted but not easy to adjust compression ratio.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I bet the valves will love it

I doubt it, diesel engine valves get lubrication from the fuel. That is an issue with low sulfur fuel, it provides reduced lube.

in a diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder after the valves are closed, not sure how it provides any lubrication.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in mid 70s friend had most of his inherited farm leased out, but kept old WD 45 around for chores. Had converted it and a old VW bug to run on propane. I talked to him when noticed he was driving the car on days he would normally ride his 750 Honda. He just fueled car and tractor from tank installed to heat the house, was less fun, but cost less to drive the car

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet the valves will love it

I doubt it, diesel engine valves get lubrication from the fuel. That is an issue with low sulfur fuel, it provides reduced lube.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper