cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Rotation

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Later this week I'll be re-packing my wheel bearings. My trailer has four wheels. While I have this project underway it would be very easy to rotate my tires. I've never heard or read anything about rotating trailer tires. I can't see any benefit to rotating front-to-back, but maybe side-to-side? Is there any benefit or harm to doing so? Do any of you do this routinely? Why or why not?

Thanks,
Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
13 REPLIES 13

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
mine get rotated whenever i go camping:)
seriously, the tires will age out long before the tread is gone

Kidding aside, one of the best things for your trailer tires, is to rotate them down the road, often.

100%
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Huntindog wrote:

Kidding aside, one of the best things for your trailer tires, is to rotate them down the road, often.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Speaking of "aging out"... how old are your tires? If they are the ones that came with the camper, definitely think about replacing them. Yes, they may look great, but they will fail eventually.

I've never rotated the trailer tires, but I keep an eye on how they are wearing.

We just don't put enough miles on it - so I've replaced the tires due to age rather then mileage / wear.

Yeah, the originals are long gone. The current ones are three years old. Thanks for the idea though.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This should be a fun batch of responses….
To answer the question, ZERO need to rotate trailer tires. Unlike vehicles, which some here honestly don’t believe in rotating….lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of "aging out"... how old are your tires? If they are the ones that came with the camper, definitely think about replacing them. Yes, they may look great, but they will fail eventually.

I've never rotated the trailer tires, but I keep an eye on how they are wearing.

We just don't put enough miles on it - so I've replaced the tires due to age rather then mileage / wear.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I do a 5 tire rotation this way I get use out of the spare rather than letting it age out on the bumper. I've never had tires age out yet, but I put 8-10K per year on the trailer.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Tires on my 5er never showed any difference in wear between the 4 so I never bothered to rotate them. .

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
While you have the tires off, give them a good bath. Good tire maintenance.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
No real reason to rotate, but what harm could it do?
I'd go front to back on each side. Keep 'em rolling in the same direction.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
WayneAt63044 wrote:
Look at the wear patterns of the tire treads. You'll get more wear from a set of tires by rotating if one or more aren't aligned well. Move the best tire to the location that has the most wear, etc.

I agree with this. No real reason not to rotate, but most cases, unless an obviously bad alignment, all tires will need replacing due to time, rather than wear.

I don't think there is a specific pattern of rotation for tandem axle trailer tires. I would not bother rotating mine, especially if any extra work to do so.

Jerry

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the wear patterns of the tire treads. You'll get more wear from a set of tires by rotating if one or more aren't aligned well. Move the best tire to the location that has the most wear, etc.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't hurt a thing, but if tire wear is the same at all four corners, I wouldn't bother.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)