cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long should a battery last?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Typical code 24 battery, how long should it last with lights and electric RV fridge? I am only getting about 24 hours before it gets under 11.5V. Also, would a battery shop have a way to properly test the battery to see if it is actually any good? Would an RV shop be able to properly test it?
78 REPLIES 78

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
my oem starter battery on my car is 10 years old.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
groundhogy wrote:
Lead-acid (standard) lasts 4-5 yrs.
Where its hot like Arizona, they last 2-4 yrs

I lived in Mesa, AZ for several years. I never had a battery last two full Summers. My cars were exposed so that did not help. Maybe I would have made it 2-3 years under a carport or in a garage. High heat kills batteries much faster than the cold.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Lead-acid (standard) lasts 4-5 yrs.
Where its hot like Arizona, they last 2-4 yrs

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
swimmer_spe wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ahh that's where you Americans have a huge advantage. We cannot just drive a unit onto government land unless it is designated for "camping" and in that case it is called a recreation area or some other name and there are rules and fees of some sort... Sometimes they are free. Otherwise, you're limited to provincial or private campgrounds.

Maybe Ontario is different.

Ontario is *very* different, all public land, Federal or Provincial land is open to camping unless specifically prohibited. This is usually just environmental lands, wildlife preserves and that sort of thing. It is also open to off-roading, in fact multi-day ATV / SxS trips and camping on public land is a very popular pastime here.

Hence why my friend brings a generator. We go hunting for a week and camp at a lakefront site that would rival most provincial, state and federal/national park.

thats cool, is it a public land or some ones land they own?
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ahh that's where you Americans have a huge advantage. We cannot just drive a unit onto government land unless it is designated for "camping" and in that case it is called a recreation area or some other name and there are rules and fees of some sort... Sometimes they are free. Otherwise, you're limited to provincial or private campgrounds.

Ontario is *very* different, all public land, Federal or Provincial land is open to camping unless specifically prohibited. This is usually just environmental lands, wildlife preserves and that sort of thing. It is also open to off-roading, in fact multi-day ATV / SxS trips and camping on public land is a very popular pastime here.

ya the law is similar here, they just prohibit it in most places haha. How are the provincial sites going to make money if people are just going to crown land? Plus, all the forestry companies ban it on their lease land until they're done in that area. and if you're in a national or provincial parks, it is all banned except in campgrounds, which is most of BC.... well anywhere you can get to with a vehicle anyways haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ewarnerusa wrote:
If he's boondocking the way I think of boondocking, he won't be in a campground with rules but rather a dispersed spot with only the neighbors he traveled with. I do realize there are campgrounds without hookups so valid points on generator hours/rules.

ahh that's where you Americans have a huge advantage. We cannot just drive a unit onto government land unless it is designated for "camping" and in that case it is called a recreation area or some other name and there are rules and fees of some sort... Sometimes they are free. Otherwise, you're limited to provincial or private campgrounds. Maybe Ontario is different. I do know some private campground where you can run your genny during daylight hours but those are becoming extinct out here anyways and I am thankful for that. To me a genny is for emergency use as there's nothing more anoying than hearing a genny fire up when you're trying to enjoy the fire and drinks. and yes, even the quiet ones carry the sound a long way in the woods.

This can vary a bit with different areas I just know about BC and Alberta. There are places you can go in BC for free and on government lands, but you are limited to hiking and tent camping. there are ways to camp for free in places but it's a gamble if you're going to get woken up and told to move along and its definitely not light a fire and start drinking type of camping haha

Oops , I guess we were criminalsโ€ฆboondocked in BC for a few nights on our way to Alaskaโ€ฆ.
Didnโ€™t know that Trudeau didnโ€™t allow itโ€ฆbut only thing to kick us out of camp was our alarm clocks and 1 grizzly bear.

I have done it too, sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. Years and years ago it was harder as the cops seemed to have nothing else to do. Nowadays if you can find a hidden place and just basically go to sleep, you'll probably never be seen. rest stops don't seem to be patrolled anymore either. I hate paying for a campground when I am not staying. so, rest stops, some Walmart's (a lot are not allowing overnight stopping now) Costco are all fair game for me to pull over when I am tired and go to bed, so I can just leave again in the morning. but that's not boondocking IMO.

To me boondocking is camping where you can have a fire (real of propane depending on restrictions) set up your lawn chairs and BBQ and have some drinks for a few days because you're allowed to camp there legally.

Maybe it means something different in the US, if so let me know.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Hence why my friend brings a generator. We go hunting for a week and camp at a lakefront site that would rival most provincial, state and federal/national park.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

so only one maybe two if we stretch it, of those situations would I consider boon docking or even camping for that matter.

There are a few spots in BC, but none that I would give up on a public forum.

This thread was about camping without hook ups, specifically without electricity. I would not want to argue about what is boon docking and what is stealth camping, or for that matter even try to define "camping". Back in the day, camping had something to do with a tent.

My point is simple. There are plenty of places to stay even in Western Canada without being in an RV park or improved park with electricity. Personally I prefer my camping or stays if you prefer to be outside of those areas.

I don't think I gave away any special spots on a public forum. The free overflow in Jasper and the hidden away spot in Banff are probably long gone. Even the parking lot immediately down the stairs from the Athabasca lodge area may not be available.

I don't think I gave away any special spots, but it hardly matters. Online information is now readily available without being on the ground and scouting out places. Out of curiosity, I looked at an online source for free camping in your area of Kamloops. In addition to the Costco, rest stop and Flying J, there are quite a few locations on lake shores and remote areas that seem like they might be attractive. Over a dozen locations are listed within about 50km of Kamloops.

BTW, in the US we don't say "government" lands. We call them public lands which reflects the idea that they belong to the people.

As the OP, I got my answers a few pages back...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:

so only one maybe two if we stretch it, of those situations would I consider boon docking or even camping for that matter.

There are a few spots in BC, but none that I would give up on a public forum.

This thread was about camping without hook ups, specifically without electricity. I would not want to argue about what is boon docking and what is stealth camping, or for that matter even try to define "camping". Back in the day, camping had something to do with a tent.

My point is simple. There are plenty of places to stay even in Western Canada without being in an RV park or improved park with electricity. Personally I prefer my camping or stays if you prefer to be outside of those areas.

I don't think I gave away any special spots on a public forum. The free overflow in Jasper and the hidden away spot in Banff are probably long gone. Even the parking lot immediately down the stairs from the Athabasca lodge area may not be available.

I don't think I gave away any special spots, but it hardly matters. Online information is now readily available without being on the ground and scouting out places. Out of curiosity, I looked at an online source for free camping in your area of Kamloops. In addition to the Costco, rest stop and Flying J, there are quite a few locations on lake shores and remote areas that seem like they might be attractive. Over a dozen locations are listed within about 50km of Kamloops.

BTW, in the US we don't say "government" lands. We call them public lands which reflects the idea that they belong to the people.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BTW this has nothing to do with the connundrum the OP seems to be creating for himself.
And doesnโ€™t matter if itโ€™s Wallydocking or the middle of the wilderness, your refrigerator and other amenities take the same power.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
ewarnerusa wrote:
If he's boondocking the way I think of boondocking, he won't be in a campground with rules but rather a dispersed spot with only the neighbors he traveled with. I do realize there are campgrounds without hookups so valid points on generator hours/rules.

ahh that's where you Americans have a huge advantage. We cannot just drive a unit onto government land unless it is designated for "camping" and in that case it is called a recreation area or some other name and there are rules and fees of some sort... Sometimes they are free. Otherwise, you're limited to provincial or private campgrounds. Maybe Ontario is different. I do know some private campground where you can run your genny during daylight hours but those are becoming extinct out here anyways and I am thankful for that. To me a genny is for emergency use as there's nothing more anoying than hearing a genny fire up when you're trying to enjoy the fire and drinks. and yes, even the quiet ones carry the sound a long way in the woods.

This can vary a bit with different areas I just know about BC and Alberta. There are places you can go in BC for free and on government lands, but you are limited to hiking and tent camping. there are ways to camp for free in places but it's a gamble if you're going to get woken up and told to move along and its definitely not light a fire and start drinking type of camping haha

Oops , I guess we were criminalsโ€ฆboondocked in BC for a few nights on our way to Alaskaโ€ฆ.
Didnโ€™t know that Trudeau didnโ€™t allow itโ€ฆbut only thing to kick us out of camp was our alarm clocks and 1 grizzly bear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar powered lithium batteries.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

It has been a few years since I made my one and only RV camping trip across Canada. I still remember some of the places I stayed in the Western Provinces.

Stayed on a city street in Winnipeg while visiting a distant relative.

Stayed at rest stop near Moosmin, Saskatchewan. It was a very nice spot with the only good view we had of the northern lights.

In Banff, we stayed several nights in an area within the Park that I can barely describe as a combination of a construction site and a migrant camp. No water, no facilities but safe and convenient.

At the Athabasca glacier we gave up our official camping spot to a young couple and child who came in too late to get a spot. We stayed in the parking lot a couple of nights. It was a great opportunity to take night photos.

At Jasper we stayed in an outstandingly beautiful area designed as overflow camping. No fees, no facilities but with access to the nearby dump station at the actual campground. After a few nights a ranger came by and told us the since the main campground was only partially full the overflow was going to close. We stayed a couple of nights in town across from a church and within a block of a bakery with outstanding bread and donuts. Great smells in the morning.

At your town, Kamloops, we arrived late, stayed in the Costco parking lot and left early the next morning for the Cascades.

I am sure there were other places I have forgotten, but as a quick summary I would guess our stays in the western provinces were outside of designated camping areas at least three quarters of the time.

really staying on the street at a friend's place in the city, or stopping overnight at a Costco, or rest stop is what you consider boon docking. we call that pulling over for the night because you're too tired to drive. I was woken up in the middle of the night from a rest stop and told to move on... Once, there actually were signs saying no overnight parking or such but that was a long long time ago and probably a RCMP having a bad night. years ago when I was young, the Alberta provincial campground used to be all over and they used to be free for Alberta residents, not sure why that changed.

I am not sure what you're talking about in Banff, but if it was not in a designated camping area you got lucky, the parking lot at the Athabaska glacier is actually a designated camping area for rv's over night and it is 16.50 per night, used to be free but I can't remember how long ago that was.

took me a bit to figure out what overflow as there is only one now but used to be a couple or three. The snaring river overflow is Un serviced, no fires, no drinking or anything else allowed and is 16.50/night and will close or open depending on how busy the other campgrounds are. again, not boondocking. When I think about boon docking, I associate that with "free camping" not urban stealth camping or pulling over in a rest stop. There are a few spots in BC, but none that I would give up on a public forum.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100