cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

83 and have hung up the keys

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I have seen posts asking, when is it time to hang up the keys, well for this guy it is 82 years and 9 months. I suppose I could buy a "B" or "B +" and we could still do some traveling but it would only work for a year or two.

Seven months ago I realized that after driving the towed to the storage yard, moving clothes and supplies into the RV and hooking up the towed was taking two to four hours and then after three or four hours on the road I needed a nap. Degenerative spinal discs and inflammatory Poly Arthritis was slowing me down and causing a lot of pain, it even sent me to the ER a few months ago.

So we sat down and talked about travel and decided that driving a four wheeler or flying and driving was the best we could do with our health issues. Five days ago it was clear and warn so we went to the RV to get some of our kitchen supplies to take to our OR home. A guy stopped at the RV and asked if we were interested in selling, I said sure and we got our price less cost of 6 new tires and new front brakes. No need to place a for sale ad or dicker. He and his son met us at the RV, we filled out papers, visited the bank to deposit the cash and in three hours it was gone, we took our eldest out to lunch for helping fill out the papers and counting the cash, told the storage yard we wouldn't be a tenant any longer, cancelled the insurance, transferred the title with DMV and we were having a cold drink in the living room back at home.

I think the old saying about a boat owners two happiest days are buying and selling but in this case, about 02:00 am, I woke and almost cried, the memories came flooding back from our first camping trip with a borrowed tent and Coleman stove with a 4yo and a 5yo, to our last trip up to OR in Sept. in the Winnie.

I'll miss it and miss all of you, at least we did it till we just couldn't do it anymore. No more Pendleton Shirts smelling like a campfire, no more kids and grandkids giving gooey S'more kisses, no more sunrises at "Q"

To quote Bob Hope, "Thanks for the Memories".

David
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
24 REPLIES 24

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
It is sad to have to give it up but sometimes there is no choice. We are 78 and have been camping and RVing all of our married life. My wifes health has caused us to quit traveling. We still have the MH but have only used it for 3 days the last 2 years at a family reunion at a county park about 40 miles from our home. I sure miss going to Texas for a bit in winter and to Montana or Colorado in the summer! The Winnebago is a 2001 with about 30k miles on it so it is not real valuable and I haven't tried to sell it. I just can't get myself to let go of it. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To all of you great travelers, thanks for your good wishes. We bought a second home when we make our last trip to Oregon and it will be our primary depository of those things that we picked up on our travels. I named the house "Rivendell", that is the "Last Homey Place East of the Mountains" in Tolkien's tales of Middle Earth. It is our sanctuary and we are surrounded by ENTs and their kind, yet only blocks to family and healthcare providers.

If a couple of whitehaired folks honk and wave at you while your on the road in your RV, it's just us saluting you and wishing safe travels.

David and Sharon
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Well David, just because your out of the game, that does not mean you have to give US up too !

You can stay here and contribute as a senior member that joined us in 2001..... You have a lot to give..

Enjoy the next chapter of your life, enjoy ! !

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I run my mouth and get a head cold as soon as I got down here to Myrtle. But so far so good. Went to a old car museum and the man at the door was from where I was born and the owner lives where I live now. 1000 mi apart. Life is still good.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
The things that cause many to curtail or stop RVing as we age are individually different. For some, it's losing interest, for others it's physical limitations, and there are cognitive issues. Cognitive such as recognizing danger & following directions etc.
Oh and there is the money, it ain't cheap for diesel and Rv parks
I'll be 83 next Dec and probably not what I was in my earlier yrs, but I try to compensate. I don't drive a thousand miles or at night. LOL
Still going tho, just not near as often as I'd like to.
The main cause of our cutting back is all of our traveling friends have either died or aged out. We thank God every day that we are still in pretty good shape, so many people our age are either sick or gone.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that. Good luck on your retirement from RVing.
On the plus side itโ€™s good to know I have potentially 31 more years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 83,...and hoping I can stay in the game for another 7 years. I'll keep you posted. Have fun.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's tough but time comes for us all. Travel might take a different form but do what you can, while you can.

You should be commended for acknowledging your limitations before they might wind up hurting someone else.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I'll be 82 in a week. .
me too, looking forward to our next trip.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Just read my signature!

D.E.Bishop wrote:
Over the years I have seen posts asking, when is it time to hang up the keys, well for this guy it is 82 years and 9 months. I suppose I could buy a "B" or "B +" and we could still do some traveling but it would only work for a year or two.

Seven months ago I realized that after driving the towed to the storage yard, moving clothes and supplies into the RV and hooking up the towed was taking two to four hours and then after three or four hours on the road I needed a nap. Degenerative spinal discs and inflammatory Poly Arthritis was slowing me down and causing a lot of pain, it even sent me to the ER a few months ago.

So we sat down and talked about travel and decided that driving a four wheeler or flying and driving was the best we could do with our health issues. Five days ago it was clear and warn so we went to the RV to get some of our kitchen supplies to take to our OR home. A guy stopped at the RV and asked if we were interested in selling, I said sure and we got our price less cost of 6 new tires and new front brakes. No need to place a for sale ad or dicker. He and his son met us at the RV, we filled out papers, visited the bank to deposit the cash and in three hours it was gone, we took our eldest out to lunch for helping fill out the papers and counting the cash, told the storage yard we wouldn't be a tenant any longer, cancelled the insurance, transferred the title with DMV and we were having a cold drink in the living room back at home.

I think the old saying about a boat owners two happiest days are buying and selling but in this case, about 02:00 am, I woke and almost cried, the memories came flooding back from our first camping trip with a borrowed tent and Coleman stove with a 4yo and a 5yo, to our last trip up to OR in Sept. in the Winnie.

I'll miss it and miss all of you, at least we did it till we just couldn't do it anymore. No more Pendleton Shirts smelling like a campfire, no more kids and grandkids giving gooey S'more kisses, no more sunrises at "Q"

To quote Bob Hope, "Thanks for the Memories".

David
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
It seems for me when I turned 70 there was more and more things that are harder to do.
Same here. 70 was when many RV chores started getting more challenging. Never gave it a thought until then.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I am 86 and my
Wife is 84. We have a camping trip planned this summer
for two and a half months. It seems for me when I turned 70 there was more and more things that are harder to do. I am not ready to stop camping and towing my 34 ft TT. But it might not be many more yrs. I am going to try to make it to 90
samsontdog:o:W

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Best of luck to you David. I hope you continue to travel and enjoy yourself for many years to come.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
David,
Sorry to see you leave the RV world.
You comments about thrashing around loading and unloading is the reason we have a full service RV pad next to the house. We grab a hand full of clothes from the closet and walk to the RV closet.
Hopefully our 80 year old bodies will be able to RV for a few more years.
Right now I have the transmission out and the engine is almost ready to remove. Running gear needs to be refreshed.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson