The Bacon Thread

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
A thread for all things BACON:
Hacks
Recipes
Smoking vs non-smoking.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
12 REPLIES 12

klaster79
Explorer
Explorer
Uh bacon. Was my only weakness but because of high cholesterol level I had to stop eat that and have some diets like https://betterme.world/articles/7-day-anemia-diet-plan/. Sad ofc but health is more important!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I make my own bacon from pork belly's and from the fat end of Pork Butt's. So Bacon is my thing. My best bacon is made with Cure #1, salt, honey, molasses, dry mustard and picking spice. Brine for 1 week then smoke for 12 hours. I sometimes do Canadian Bacon in the same brine Also amazing. For the most part I always cook bacon in a pan in the oven @ 375 degrees. It's easier to manage the temp and not chance burning it due to the honey and molasses is more burnable compared to dextrose use commercial bacon. Far as recipes go, I'm pretty straight up liking it with eggs. I'll chop it into "Eggs Erroneous" as my brother calls it, basically scrambled eggs with everything in it. Bacon on a burger....or a favorite of my sons and mine, chicken livers wrapped in bacon.

Now here is exotic bacon I made called Shinkenspek. This recipe for Shinkenspeck is from Rytek Kutas sausage and meat curing book. He calls regular bacon "poor mans bacon" compared to this. Not sure I agree with that but this is real fun. It's a cured boneless sirloin and wrapped tightly with a cured belly then lightly smoked. Dried Juniper Berrys in the brine. Slice off a 1/2" slices and fry. It will bulge up so a bacon press is good to keep it flat on the skillet.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've tried may different ways to cook bacon. Now my go to method is a 350 degree oven. Comes out nice and crispy every time.

Unlike ICamels recipe I start with a preheated oven. I do also line the pan with foil. But then I take long sheets of foil the length of the pan and roll or crunch them into long strips to lay the bacon over so it is mostly held up out of the drippings.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Bacon - Oven Cooked
Line a baking sheet with foil. This will make cleanup easier later.
Arrange the bacon slices on the foil and place the baking sheet on the center rack of a COLD oven. (Try not to stretch the slices out. Just gently drape the bacon across the pan.) Close the oven door. Turn the oven on to 400ยฐF. Walk away.
Come back 17 to 20 minutes later(less if thin slices). As soon as the bacon is golden brown, but not excessively crisp, it's done. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the bacon slices, and also on how quickly your oven reaches the target temperature.
Remove the pan from the oven. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to absorb any excess fat.
REMEMBER: Don't pre-heat the oven! Make sure the oven is cold when you put the bacon in.
Keep your eye on the bacon during the final few minutes of cooking to make sure that it doesn't burn.

I probably found this recipe here?
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bacon in the smoker dripping all of its goodness on tri trips, chicken, turkey, lobster, shrimp, fish, hashbrown casserole, mmmmm good
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
Bacon on Blackstone followed by scrambled eggs and hash browns.

That is how I do it. It is the best.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bacon on Blackstone followed by scrambled eggs and hash browns.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One of the simplest things you can do to make bacon easier to fry is use kitchen shears and cut the strips in half !

You can cook bacon in a microwave WITHOUT making too much of a mess. Start with a large, dished plate. A glass pie pan s even better. Lay down a double layer of paper towel. Add your bacon but do not overload! Add another double layer of paper towel.

Cook for about 2 minutes. This time depends on the power of your microwave and the amount of bacon you are cooking.

Now the messy part. Move partially cooked bacon to another plate with a double layer of paper towel. Place a double layer on top. It should take less than 2 minutes to finish cooking. Adjust time for chewy or crispy.

The bacon grease soaked paper towels WILL ATTRACT CRITTERS ! Dispose f accordingly.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Cook mine on foil on the grill.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I use my George Forman grill, it keeps the strips flat, and the grease drains off.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I love cooking my bacon in the microwave. Now if I could do a non scrambled egg I'd be in microheaven.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came across this article about how to make a crispier bacon. I never heard of it and I have Southern relatives. Have you heard of this?
Tip for crispier bacon
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus