cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Semana Santa

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This forum is almost ready to be pronounced dead. Where are all the regular posters: Chris, Tequila and more??? I will try to start a discussion: Describe what happens in your area for Easter Week.

Kino has transformed from a fishing village with American and Canadian tourists. The town has been gifted to Mexicans. Since Covid
construction of homes, hotels and rental units are being built everywhere. One can hardly see the beach as the homes are glued one to the other. Prices are out of sight. 99% of this development is by Mexicans for Mexicans. The Puente for Benito Juarez had 7000 visitors They are expecting 10,000 vehicles for the Easter weekend. Here are some of the changes for what used to be Sleepy Hollow:
5 garbage trucks and 100,s of contendors are coming from Hermosillo along with more workers to handle the tons of garbage. Instead of driving the 25km to the dump an intermediate temporary dump will be just outside Kino. 100's of police are coming from HMO. They have a highly technical Drone unit. A dedicated large van that also monitors some of the security cameras. There will be a "Green patrol". These are small vehicles that will issue tickets for environmental problems. The Red Cross will have a large crew. Extra Fire Trucks and Firefighters are also coming from HMO. The main street becomes one way on the weekend. We will be hunkered down in our home and using ear plugs at night.
The following weekend is Junior Week. The high school kids come here to be wild. Fortunately, the police started to crack down on the kids a few years so most go elsewhere. Fun!
40 REPLIES 40

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
We just pulled into Givhans SP. Seeing daughter in Summervile! Ponds
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Happy belated Birthday! Dee Tillotson

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique โ€” heard nothing but good things about Rockport! Lots of friendly people, but rebuilding over and over because of so many storms in the past years. Glad you got reservations, and on my bucket list because of great reputation. Dee Tillotson, Summerville, SC

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked in here in ages and that includes RV.Net itself. When I do its to see if folks I knew are still around. Glad to see most are. I hit 82 last Thur. In good health and we're still full timing mostly on the east coast and try to do more out west. As much as we enjoyed all our trips to Mexico it seems a hassle now that I no longer have the temperament for hassles. And, there's so much we haven't seen in the US. We'll snowbird this winter for the first time in Rockport TX so that may lead to more exploration in the mid-west.

Great to see that so many of you are still kicking.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
For Christmas I got a Samsung 52A. Since then, I have practically stopped using my laptop. I use the laptop for videos and movies as it is a 17" screen with a DVD player.

Google Maps or Waze works great in Mexico, Whatsapp (free) is the best way to communicate including voice, video and text. You can send photos, maps, your current location, communicate to anyone in any country. We just got back from Spain and we used the phone for reservations on Airbnb, gas stations, train and subway tickets, etc. I can only imagine what an iPhone might be like.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
I don't have a cell phone, but he does. When he gets a pic on his phone that I want, he emails it to me. I download it onto my computer and it's done. Easy

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to blame the widespread of smart phones. Many people brag that they can do "everything" with their cell phone. I sure can't. I'm still wanting to learn how to conveniently transfer a cell-phone photo to my desk-top computer, and then insert the photo into my posts, here on this forum. Recently, I learned that PhotoBucket is back. I'm checking it out. So far, I've learned it's not as convenient to use as the old one. If I learn it,...I'll be posting more. I'm working on it.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
Going to visit it next year with the new RV , which will arrive in the middle of January. I read already a lot about Mexico, stories from other travelers and even an article on how to have amazing camper holidays http://metapress.com/how-to-have-amazing-camper-holidays/ , so this time i think we are completely ready for the trip. I still don't have the exact route planned, but i guess we have enough time to do that. Plus i am opened to all the suggestions from the people, which we will meet on our way.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We're just north of PV... Plenty of tourists here - I suspect most are Canadians. Still very few US or Canadian plated vehicles on the road - saw one from Illinois, another from Idaho. Most must have flown in. The restaurants are very sparsely utilized.
Had been expecting the toll road from Tepic to have been completed - unless I missed a stretch only a 40 mile (approximate) stretch is open that ends in Bucerias. 200 is very heavily traveled compared to previous visits.

Talleyho69
Here it is so dead that most restaurants that are open daily are taking a week off!! It's lovely!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The week after Semana Santo is Junior week in Kino Usually a bunch of rich teen ages raising hell. Think of Daytona beach. Lots of underage drunk kids. But not this year. There were more police than kids. No loud music or 4ร—4,s racing on the street. Semana Sabta visitors was down by 40%.

Talleyho69
Please keep checking it, we are told that things are going to change dramatically "soon.".

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I find iOverlander worthless. I've searched it for both Mexico and the U.S. I only checked using the wild and informal camping sites. In Mexico it appears to be more for off-road or 4x4 campers.

I'm an avid Facebook user but find that the RV groups there are not much better. It's mostly well-established rv parks. Those dedicated to boondocking usually don't share places or are not specific enough.

I miss this site although I have been checking it more lately.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Spot on.