cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane first RV trip plan?

Krdavidson22
Explorer
Explorer
I’m planning a round-trip month-long vacation with RV (pulled by VW Atlas) this summer. This would be by family’s first RV trip, so I want to know just how insane this plan is. The general idea is to go from Dallas to Seattle and back, hitting as many National Parks along the way as possible.

So generally: Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches/Canyonlands, Crater Lake, Olympic, Yellowstone, and Tetons.

My main concern is the balance between planning ahead and leaving flexibility for mishaps and breaks and such. Is it unrealistic to assume we’ll be able to find places to park without reserving them beforehand? I know the national parks fill up far ahead of time, but do most have private campgrounds close by that have space? If so, are they generally good quality and available?

Any input based on this kind of trip would be so appreciated!
42 REPLIES 42

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
My first RV trip was cross-country for five weeks. The first half, others were helping me. The second half, I was helping others.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^OMG, you guys are relentless….
Didja ever think maybe he just said “F these negative Nancies” and went out to start prepping the camper? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Let’s just hope the OP didn’t scrap his summer vacation due to the plethora of negative comments regarding the trip.

This seems pretty typical. A new member posts questions and then vanishes. I really don't care whether he scraps his vacation or not. Total rudeness or just a troll.

Didn't get the answer he was looking for so he disappeared. Like many, he will try to do that over ambitious trip. Murphy will be going along. Things will not go to plan. Weather, a mechanical issues, busy attractions, all kinds of things. He will return all stressed out needing another, much slower paced, trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
you'd want to plan some places to stay in advance, things fill up quickly in the summer as many people have mentioned. 8 hours of driving isn't bad as long as you know you have a spot to spend the night at the end of it. But, don't let anyone tell you it's too much of a trip or you need to sleep in your driveway the first night or you can only drive for a few hours a day. Our first ever rv trip was over 10 000km (6000 miles) in just three weeks from Alberta to places like Texas and Arizona and 4 National Parks (There weren't any kids with us, which certainly helped!).

You'll be fine and have an amazing experience. And, if you don't enjoy it you'll learn what does and doesn't work for you. You can always go back to places you enjoy another time and spend more time there.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a brave and flexible family, you can plan an ambitious trip. But be prepared to modify it and shorten it if the group starts to get overwhelmed. I hate making reservations well ahead of time, because most are not refundable. You can call ahead on the road a day or two and find places to stay (maybe except for popular NPs).

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
bucky wrote:
Grit holds my record for most often blocked but then reinstated after half of the posts in a thread disappear and it doesn't make sense without his input.
Yes Grit, retirement is grand. We earned it by working 70 years between the 2 of us.
I hope you make it to retirement as well. Have a nice day.

Thanks?
Have a wonderful day yourself!

A couple things...first, the OP has not returned with any added questions, but likely read many of the posts. The 2nd is that I consider Grit dog a forum friend, and enjoy his posts, that are normally correct in content.

I see no reason to block any member, and surely not one that uses common sense, derived from his own actual experience. Is my forum buddy a bit condescending at times, or a bit short with members that parrot the same answers? Maybe, but I often agree with him, as I do in this thread.

I can remember many long trips taken, camping, and snowmobile trips, which included towing up to a 26' enclosed trailer. I often left work at 1:00 pm on Friday, skipping lunch while working, so as to make a short work day. I go home, change attire, hook up trailer, most things ready from day before, eat sandwiches, fruit, and snacks, while on the road for maybe 400 miles.

I am retired now, no need to rush, so like many responding, I choose to take things easier now too, although I am anxious to reach my destination, even if I need to drive all day.

Anyway, if the OP is still reading, I say go for it, adjust as needed, it can, and should be a fun/memorable trip!

Jerry

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Let’s just hope the OP didn’t scrap his summer vacation due to the plethora of negative comments regarding the trip.

This seems pretty typical. A new member posts questions and then vanishes. I really don't care whether he scraps his vacation or not. Total rudeness or just a troll.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a related note, we are planning a cross country trip in about 4 years when I retire. Our kids are home schooled, so we aren't tied to traditional summer break to travel. We plan to probably travel April, May and June and hope not to make too many reservations along the way. We will likely make reservations at big areas where we intend to stay (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Mesa Verde, etc) and hope to "wing it" in between.

We plan to have a smaller Honda-esque generator and travel with some water so we can dry camp in relative comfort a night or two. We are still doing research to see if this is a feasible plan. The biggest unfortunate for us is that we will likely be in a BIG camper for this trip. My memories from a family trip from my youth was that bigger campers out west in state and national parks were going to be tough if not impossible.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
I wanna know what your secret was back when yall worked and had kids? You get 6 to 8 week summer road trip vacations or what?
Shoot, the speed limits were even 55 back then. Take ya 3 days to Kansas….with the wind ….lol

Either keep it closer to home or blast out the miles in 1 or 2 days, then enjoy the destination with maybe a couple of short moves. IE: 1400miles to Florida, then a few days in Orlando, a few days on the beach, then a couple days back home.

The OP's trip is basically destinations every 300-400miles, so putting in 2-3 - 700mile days (not fun) and then enjoying the Washington/Oregon area would at least be more reasonable (though not great). But the OP has listed every NP within 300miles either side of the route to Seattle. It comes across as an endurance test more than a vacation.

Add in that it's apparently a new rig and they've never taken an RV trip before, the chances they will have mechanical breakdowns, not like camping, make newbie mistakes or it's more than he can handle towing are real concerns.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bucky wrote:
Grit holds my record for most often blocked but then reinstated after half of the posts in a thread disappear and it doesn't make sense without his input.
Yes Grit, retirement is grand. We earned it by working 70 years between the 2 of us.

Thanks?
Have a wonderful day yourself!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cptqueeg wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Im guessing OP didn't get the answer he wanted to hear.

Haven't heard back since the initial post.

Mike

Perhaps, he was trolling from the get-go. Atlas VW? We all know a month long trip requires a 1 T w training wheels.

Lol! Surprised that didn’t come up too.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
lonewolf80 wrote:

The only problem the OP will face is an itinerary that doesn't let so to speak smell the roses during each stop and getting into the national parks.

Something I learned a long long time ago

Trying to squeeze 3 weeks worth of stuff in a 2 week time slot just does not work.. however scheduling 2 weeks of stuff in a 3 week time slot works very well.

You see it often, especially with a big trip like going to Alaska. People don't appreciate how big Canada is or how beautiful it is. Alaska, at least the part that you can drive, is not that big.

You have to slow down. Make allowances for weather, maybe a breakdown, grocery shopping, laundry, oil changes, simple chill days thrown in there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
Im guessing OP didn't get the answer he wanted to hear.

Haven't heard back since the initial post.

Mike

Perhaps, he was trolling from the get-go. Atlas VW? We all know a month long trip requires a 1 T w training wheels.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell