cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 11 Experts?

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Dell desktop..loaded with Win 11 (ugh!) I have a external 1 TB multi partitioned hard drive connected using USB.. The new computer came with a 256 GB SSD (C:) installed.. (mistake on my part).. I then installed internally another 500 GB HD in the slot provided in the new computer, formatted it and all is well and designated this drive letter H: .. When using file explorer, drive H: appears as the other external drive, or internal SSD AND I can easily access this drive and add what I want to it with no problem..BUT.. when I have a file or something that I want to send to it, I click "Send to" and every available drive connected to the computer is an option EXCEPT Drive H (the installed 500 GB HDD).. I have scoured the inet for answers to this issue to no avail.. ANY IDEAS would be appreciated..Just when I had Windows 10 figured out, 11 came along with the new machine and I am at ground zero on many issues..Have a nice day.. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that responded.. The problem has been resolved using several methods mentioned in your comments / responses.. My major concern was that my C: drive (SSD) was almost full and I didn't like that.. When I analyzed my desktop, I found 2 folders that I had used when making a 30 minute video of a house being installed.. little did I realize that each one had 15 GB plus of data in them.. I copied and pasted both of them to the H: drive, verified they were there and then deleted them form C: drive. That reduced the 256 GB C: by 30 GB and brought it to a very acceptable level.. AGAIN.. thanks to all for taking time to respond to my question. This RV Forum regardless of subject is top notch and so are the contributors..

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of Win11 either! Cut/Copy/Paste are not OBVIOUS on the alternate menu, but they are their !!

Two tips. Make sure you back up C: regularly. Small SSD seem to have a shorter life.

Second is more effort, but worth it. Move all your personal data to your H: drive. Download a copy of Win11 directly from Microsoft and follow the instructions for putting it on a thumb drive.

INSTALL THE MICROSOFT VERSION IF WINDOWS OVER TGE TOP OF THE DELL VERSION ! It t will run better/faster !

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
j3ff9ack wrote:
Not sure why the new drive isn't showing up, but you can add it to the "Send to..." menu.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-customize-the-send-to-menu-in-windows

The above is what you are trying to do. But to me there are too many options to make it easy to follow. So try this.

On your computer you need a run command and not just the search box at the bottom of the screen. So

1. Either press the and hold the windows key on your keyboard and then press the R and the run box will pop up. Alternatively you try right clicking on the little windows icon on the bottom left of the screen and then select RUN
  2. In the Run window type in shell : sendto and press enter. EDIT gotta love our software it keeps adding a smiley in the shell command so I had to add spaces to make it dispaly. That is supposed to be type shell then a colon then sendto with no spaces and no quotes
  3. the Send To window should open
  4. Click and drag that new send to window out of the way but leave it open
  5. Now use file explorer or whatever method you are used to and navigate your drives and find the H drive
  6. Right click on the H drive and select copy
  7. Now go back to the Send To window that you dragged out of the way
  8. In the Send To window pick an blank space and right click and select Paste Shortcut
  9. Wait a few seconds and the H drive will show up
  10. Close the Send To window
  11. Test
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
45 years computing here. Recently bought a new Dell Win 11 desktop. 500Gb SSD plus 2Tb factory installed SATA drive. Factory installed and labeled them as C: and H: drives. Now, if I open a file's properties on the C drive, and then select the 'more properties' line at the bottom, I get a 'send to' option among the next set of options. When I select that the H: drive comes up as an available option.

This doesn't answer the OPs question other than to say it should work. Must be an obscure setting somewhere that I, for one, have never come across!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
OK boomer.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't take long for this post to blow up.
Typical.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Just curious, do you really need an H partition. I have been heavy computing for 30 years and never needed different partitions on my internal or external drives. Thanks.
I put LINUX on a separate partition. I've installed various VMs in separate partitions. My F: drive used to be my C: drive until I replaced C: with an SSD.

Oh yes, I've been computing for 55 years noob ๐Ÿ™‚

I see your ego is in overdrive old goat.

Retired financial accountant and commercial plus Army pilot.

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot/?pnref=lhc.recent

https://www.facebook.com/william.perkins.79274

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Just curious, do you really need an H partition. I have been heavy computing for 30 years and never needed different partitions on my internal or external drives. Thanks.
I put LINUX on a separate partition. I've installed various VMs in separate partitions. My F: drive used to be my C: drive until I replaced C: with an SSD.

Oh yes, I've been computing for 55 years noob ๐Ÿ™‚

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:

The new drive installed is labeled "H' and has no partitions.. the external USB 1Gb hard drive has partitions.. but "H" is the entire drive label..

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I believe your problem is the "send to" function is for removable drives. Your H drive is connected by a SATA cable or it is a NVME drive, correct? To copy or move information to an internal drive (Sata or NVME) you have to pull up the drive in Explorer, or my computer etc....
Open the drive and then drag and drop, or cut and paste, or copy and paste the information.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why the new drive isn't showing up, but you can add it to the "Send to..." menu.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-customize-the-send-to-menu-in-windows
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
The Copy/Paste procedure is a bit tedious when compared to the Copy to Folder/ Move to Folder alternative. These choices don't appear on the context menu, but can be easily added with a registry modification. For information on how to do this, go to the following link:

Copy /Move

The "Copy To" option copies the information to the new location and leaves the original intact, while "Move To" deletes it from the original location.

Thanks for the information..that would work if the new HDD (H:) would appear as a place to move it to..but the drive (H:) does not appear as an option..all other USB drives do appear but not installed (H:).. H: does appear when looking at Explorer though.. Thanks again as progress is progress...

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
The Copy/Paste procedure is a bit tedious when compared to the Copy to Folder/ Move to Folder alternative. These choices don't appear on the context menu, but can be easily added with a registry modification. For information on how to do this, go to the following link:

Copy /Move

The "Copy To" option copies the information to the new location and leaves the original intact, while "Move To" deletes it from the original location.